Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More delivery incompetence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of days ago, Tesla informed me that I'd be getting my car delivered to my house today. On my account page, it listed a delivery time of 12:01am, which I assumed was a placeholder. Their email/text said they would contact me when they could narrow down the exact delivery window.

As of this morning, the delivery appointment on the page had disappeared. I chatted with them at 8am and was assured that I was still on track for today and I would hear from them shortly. After lunch, I chatted with them again and was told the same thing.

At 3:30pm, I googled the phone number for the Fremont delivery center and called them. A person picked up immediately and I gave her my info. After putting me on hold for an eternity (never a good sign), she came back on the line and told me that the car they promised to me was still "in production" and could not be delivered today.

All is not lost, however. She did have a car on the lot that matched my order, but with a tow hitch. Now, I wanted a tow hitch, but was planning on spending $350 on an aftermarket one as opposed to $1000. But, this would save me the trouble of doing the install myself. I had her check the VIN and the "built-on" date and the VIN was higher than my original one and she said the car was built TODAY and had rolled off the line less than an hour ago.

Anyway, they're prepping the car for my now and I'm supposed to go check it out shortly. I guess I'll find out soon enough how much of what I was told was complete BS.

The number for the Fremont delivery center is: 510 897-4860. I found it on an old thread on this site.

• Informative
Reactions: cappelli05
I called, but no one answered. I tried sales and delivery, but got the message to leave a message. You lucked out! The inside delivery person who called yesterday from Las Vegas is the only one who has answered all day, and she said they have until 9pm to get it ready and on the lot, and we have until midnight to pick up. We'll see how that goes... the VIN is still assigned, and the car is completely paid for already - they received the check from the bank at 1pm today.

Honestly, not seeing much incompetence here. They offered you a reasonable alternative which will result in a very recent build.

Were you planning to install the hitch yourself? If not, labor costs could easily double the price. Does the $395 include sales tax and the expensive shipping (these items are quite heavy)? How about the software towing package that comes with the factory version?

Anyway, best of luck!

Last edited:
Honestly, not seeing much incompetence here. They offered you a reasonable alternative which will result in a very recent build.

Were you planning to install the hitch yourself? If not, labor costs could easily double the price. Does the $395 include sales tax and the expensive shipping (these items are quite heavy)? How about the software towing package that comes with the factory version?

Anyway, best of luck!
No incompetence, save for scheduling a delivery for a car that wasn't built yet and telling me twice that I was 100% go for home delivery (wrong both times).

And I have yet to hear anything regarding the new VIN that was guaranteed to be ready by 5pm.

You're right, they're doing a great job.

• Funny
Reactions: DennyL
Sorry. I'm trying not to get too upset about all this.

Yes, I would certainly install the hitch myself. My understanding is that you contact Tesla and they can activate the tow options. Is that untrue?

Oh, and the car never materialized. At least not yet (it's nearly 9pm here).

It's all good man, and everyone here can feel the upset. The Y was my second Tesla, so I -really- sympathize. This second time around though, I knew the drill so nothing surprised me. I learned that you can't wait around for them to text or call, you have to do it yourself. Once you get them on the line, though, by and large they have been great. Maybe I've been lucky.

I also learned that all the anguish goes away once you start driving these cars.

I hope you get your car tonight. Else, I fear with the new quarter tomorrow they may not be as motivated to get you a car quickly. And since you live in CA, who knows when your delivery may be. That's worst case though. Are they delivering up until midnight at the plant like they did last year? At least you're close.

re: hitch. Not at all sure if they are offering the software package for third party hitches. There are reports that Model X owners who did same got a price of $1000. That's beyond outrageous. I did notice the Model Y hitch is listed on the website now - $1200. Will you be using a trailer? If it's only for a bike rack, you don't need Tow mode.

It's all good man, and everyone here can feel the upset. The Y was my second Tesla, so I -really- sympathize. This second time around though, I knew the drill so nothing surprised me. I learned that you can't wait around for them to text or call, you have to do it yourself. Once you get them on the line, though, by and large they have been great. Maybe I've been lucky.

I also learned that all the anguish goes away once you start driving these cars.

I hope you get your car tonight. Else, I fear with the new quarter tomorrow they may not be as motivated to get you a car quickly. And since you live in CA, who knows when your delivery may be. That's worst case though. Are they delivering up until midnight at the plant like they did last year? At least you're close.

re: hitch. Not at all sure if they are offering the software package for third party hitches. There are reports that Model X owners who did same got a price of $1000. That's beyond outrageous. I did notice the Model Y hitch is listed on the website now - $1200. Will you be using a trailer? If it's only for a bike rack, you don't need Tow mode.
Thanks. I've calmed down now because I've got an amazing white on white Model Y in the garage!

They emailed around 10pm and I thought, what the hell, I might as well go look at it. I brought a flashlight to inspect it and it's nearly flawless. Way better than my Model 3. The only issue I saw was the driver's door trim wasn't on right, so I pushed it in and it's perfect now. I'll go over it with a fine-toothed comb tomorrow.

I don't know if I'll tow anything or not, but it's nice to know I can if I want. I will be using a bike rack though.

Thanks. I've calmed down now because I've got an amazing white on white Model Y in the garage!

They emailed around 10pm and I thought, what the hell, I might as well go look at it. I brought a flashlight to inspect it and it's nearly flawless. Way better than my Model 3. The only issue I saw was the driver's door trim wasn't on right, so I pushed it in and it's perfect now. I'll go over it with a fine-toothed comb tomorrow.

I don't know if I'll tow anything or not, but it's nice to know I can if I want. I will be using a bike rack though.

Glad you got yours!

That's Tesla, leaving it to the last possible second.

Anyway, that's great news! Enjoy. It really is a nice ride, different in so many ways to the Model 3.