Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More details please Minister Frydenburg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
John Cadogan is an entertaining automotive engineer but if you go to minute 13 of the YouTube video referenced by meloccom 'Geriatric Trucks' you will witness some unfortunate untruths. He makes his living by acting as an intermediary between potential new vehicle buyers and car dealers (so no money to be made out of Tesla buyers then). In the past he has referred to Tesla vehicles as '*sugar* boxes'. I did leave a comment pointing out a couple of the more outrageous claims i.e. 50% transformer loss (presumably he is talking about the step down transformer in a local substation providing 240V phase to neutral) and 20% loss in low voltage distribution and by a series of exaggeration concludes that an EV is 14% efficient. I left a link to a document that covers these i.e. EVALUATION OF DISTRIBUTION LOSS FACTORS 2015-2016. See section two for an overview.

https://www.endeavourenergy.com.au/...port+2015-2016+-+Final+PUBLIC.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Just a word of caution, he has a Friday show where he spends his time humiliating those with the timidity to question his wisdom via a YouTube comment.

Edit: I see an auto edit has changed a word from Mr Cadogan's original choice to sugar, it had four letters, started with an s and ended with a t.

Last edited:
John Cadogan is an entertaining automotive engineer but if you go to minute 13 of the YouTube video referenced by meloccom 'Geriatric Trucks' you will witness some unfortunate untruths. He makes his living by acting as an intermediary between potential new vehicle buyers and car dealers (so no money to be made out of Tesla buyers then). In the past he has referred to Tesla vehicles as '*sugar* boxes'. I did leave a comment pointing out a couple of the more outrageous claims i.e. 50% transformer loss (presumably he is talking about the step down transformer in a local substation providing 240V phase to neutral) and 20% loss in low voltage distribution and by a series of exaggeration concludes that an EV is 14% efficient. I left a link to a document that covers these i.e. EVALUATION OF DISTRIBUTION LOSS FACTORS 2015-2016. See section two for an overview.

https://www.endeavourenergy.com.au/...port+2015-2016+-+Final+PUBLIC.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Just a word of caution, he has a Friday show where he spends his time humiliating those with the timidity to question his wisdom via a YouTube comment.

Edit: I see an auto edit has changed a word from Mr Cadogan's original choice to sugar, it had four letters, started with an s and ended with a t.

Yes, its a little sad by John, he normally has his facts spot on and his humor, for better or worse has me in fits of laughter. Perhaps there isn't a lot of money in dodging the car dealer when buying a Tesla?

Yes, its a little sad by John, he normally has his facts spot on and his humor, for better or worse has me in fits of laughter. Perhaps there isn't a lot of money in dodging the car dealer when buying a Tesla?
Agree, I posted this comment

Great video as usual but why bag EV's when the whole video is about reducing pollution in cities? I want to buy an EV mostly to remove pollution from in and around my house, no matter the emission controls on diesel/petrol they will always be worse than EV's. Also there are no cheating emission tests if you drive an EV. Solar is already cheaper than grid electricity in AUS so grid losses are not relevant. EV's will drive down the cost of battery storage to remove the intermitancy issues with solar. Hoping there will be some EV's at affordable prices coming to AU next year.