Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More efficient than my Model 3 SR+. Heat pump FTW!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning, everyone.

I've always been curious just how much of a difference the heat pumps make compared to the PTC heaters that pre-2021 Teslas have used. I had a 2019 Model 3 SR+ for two years up here in Minnesota, and I was always frustrated with how much range that I lost in the cold.

I'm finally starting to get some data on my new Y, and I've been really impressed! During those two years, I never had the chance to drive the 3 in weather as cold as we've seen recently. And my Y is more efficient at higher speeds in -10º weather than my Model 3 was at 0º. The difference isn't small, either. This from Teslafi:

Coldest drives with my Model 3:
1671804552905.png

Coldest drives so far with my Y:

1671804623258.png

As you can tell, I need to get a lot more miles in these temps to firm up those conclusions. But my Y is an LR AWD model which should be less efficient than the low-slung RWD 3, all things being equal. Both cars are riding on the same ugly-looking 18" Enkei wheels and snow tires, so they have an aero penalty. I blame the noisy racket they call a heat pump for the improvement. Color me impressed, though. This thing is much more usable in the cold weather than my 3 ever was.

I have not fully grasped the KWH and how it is more efficient. The efficiency on the M3 shows 50.95% and MY 47.57%. If that what you mean, it is similar, no?

I agree, the M3 is the more efficient vehicle, although the difference is relatively small. I had a 2018 SR+ before (without heatpump) and now have a MY with a heatpump and while there is a smallish optimum range that the heatpump shines (0-30 degrees maybe), the heatpump has been far from the revelation that some proclaim it to be, as it loses that efficiency in the higher temps (70-100). Here are my temperature / efficiency numbers from Teslamate for the two vehicles.

2018 Model 3 SR+ (No Heatpump):
1671806548969.png

2020 Model Y LR AWD (Heatpump):
1671806516819.png

Last edited:
I agree, the M3 is the more efficient vehicle, although the difference is relatively small. I had a 2018 SR+ before (without heatpump) and now have a MY with a heatpump and while there is a smallish optimum range that the heatpump shines (0-30 degrees maybe), the heatpump has been far from the revelation that some proclaim it to be, as it loses that efficiency in the higher temps (70-100). Here are my temperature / efficiency numbers from Teslamate for the two vehicles.

I reached the opposite conclusion. I was getting 443 wH/mile vs. 583 watt-hours per mile in the Model 3. In colder weather. That difference is huge, in my opinion. Your data also shows that your Y is more efficient between 0-10º. 420 watt-hours for the Y, vs 427 for the 3. I never got mine to be that efficient, but some of that may be traveling conditions.

Those are percentages of rated efficiency. Look at the watt-hours per mile. 443 watt-hours per mile vs. 583 for my old Model 3. That's huge.
Is it? I am picking up my MY LR next week and is second guessing b/c of the lack of USS. Years ago when I first got a car, it had roll up windows and no power steering. lol I managed but I think we are spoiled(not sure if that is the right term) to have all these features in a car and for them to remove it b/c of supply chain and then to start adding them back to the car makes me second guess my self. It is hard to pass up with the incentive and that I locked in at a lower price point which makes sense. I have a trade which they extended for 2 months and I have doubled my mileage and they are still honoring it. I know once it expires, it will decrease by a few thousand dollars. I think I am going to pull the trigger anyway.

My Model 3 used 31% more power to cover each mile than my Model Y does. At 0º, I could get at most 100 miles of range out of my SR+ with its 52 kWh battery.

With these numbers, I could go 164 miles out of the 82 kWh battery in my Y. And most of these miles were at -5 to -10ºF from my trips out yesterday.

Reactions: lawmangr
That is ALOT of range loss for a 330 long range.. geez.. I know 80-90% but 100% and get only 164 scares me!

It's life in an EV. ICE vehicles also lose a lot of efficiency, but it matters less because you can fill a gas tank anywhere in just a few minutes. And they heat the cabin with waste heat from the engine.

If it makes you feel any better, I never drove in subzero temps during the two Minnesota winters that I had my Model 3. I don't know where in NY you live, but my current location is significantly colder on average than Watertown, where I spent a few years. You'll have much less range loss at 20º than you will at 0º. I don't have good numbers yet on that, but the difference is huge.

It's life in an EV. ICE vehicles also lose a lot of efficiency, but it matters less because you can fill a gas tank anywhere in just a few minutes. And they heat the cabin with waste heat from the engine.

If it makes you feel any better, I never drove in subzero temps during the two Minnesota winters that I had my Model 3. I don't know where in NY you live, but my current location is significantly colder on average than Watertown, where I spent a few years. You'll have much less range loss at 20º than you will at 0º. I don't have good numbers yet on that, but the difference is huge.
I am in the metro area not upstate. We rarely get below temperatures but that does not last long. Normally 10-40 degrees during winter..

I've got a 22 M3 LR. Been working fine. Most problems have been related to user. During the recent VERY cold snap, I decided to try, for myself, the heat pump under challenging conditions. It was -12 F outside and I went out for a drive. I have a rudimentary understanding of heat pumps, but whatever Tesla put in this car is amazing. I immediately got a cabin temp of 72 deg. I drove around on some errands for 30-40 min and was toasty the whole time. I did notice that battery drain was about 2x of normal, but I was warm and the car worked fine. This car is amazing!

I have been very disappointed in my MY range in the few weeks I've had it. Yesterday did a trip during the day at about 25° and started at 100% and only got 175 miles to 6% at the supercharger. That was with me being conscientious of speed and climate control.

Definitely the worst road trip car I've ever had by a long shot. Can barely get 2 1/2 hours of driving starting at 100% charge.