Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More efficient to open a window or use the A/C ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Trips

"Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"
Sep 22, 2015
Omaha, NE
Has it been discussed that all of the RC's we have seen driven around have a window or two open? Do they not have the new air conditioner working it is that a California thing? Current Temp in Fremont is 71 degrees.

Reactions: JeffK
Or....

I'm not about to open a window OR to use A/C. Photo from right now, 26 May 2017:
IMG_3225.JPG.jpeg

Grrrr and Brrrrr....

Reactions: jbcarioca
Remember that we don't even know the details of their HVAC system yet. It's expected to be different based on the lack of individual air vents, but that doesn't even say anything about the workings behind the scene.

Remember that we don't even know the details of their HVAC system yet. It's expected to be different based on the lack of individual air vents, but that doesn't even say anything about the workings behind the scene.
Gah. I wrote more and lost it.

My basic points are:

1) The answer will depend on many factors like the temperatures inside and outside the vehicle, the effective speed you're traveling at, and the effectiveness of the system with all current variables considered.

2) I speculate two things:

A. Unless they follow their own patent and introduce externally supported cooling, I think that they may boost the on board cooling capability of vehicles to allow for greater charge rates and that might make it more efficient for cabin use too. The patent filing made it clear that the biggest limitation was in keeping the batteries cool during rapid charging, which expels this heat. If you want to use an external device to do this, that introduces complexity and more cost, but could work. The easier solution is if you can make an improvement with the cooling built into the car. It might not allow for the 350+ kw charge rates that Elon described, but maybe they can push it beyond the current limitations and get 80% charge times down from 30 minutes to 20 minutes for example.

B. If they do this, it might be designed around the roll out of 2170 batteries, which could happen with current models at the same time as the 3 is announced.

One more thought... if they do roll out an enhanced supercharging capability, will current "supercharging for life" customers be able to benefit from it? If they move to a new S or X, which can take the 350 kw charge rate (which Elon described as "child's play" implying an ever greater ability), then will they allowed to at no cost? If so, that could be extremely valuable.