Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More excellent efficiency to report

novox77

1.21 Gigawatts
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
Now that the weather in New England is finally starting to warm up, I wanted to revisit my efficiency numbers I'm getting on my ~80mi commute. These are car readings, so they do not take into account charging losses.

Morning commute clocked in at 168Wh/mi. Ambient temperature was 50F. Used heated seats but not HVAC heat. This route has a slight net loss in elevation.

And here is the overall consumption for the round trip: 184kW/mi. Ambient temperature was 70F. HVAC fan was running but no A/C use. The return trip has a slight net gain in elevation.

Most of this drive is on the interstate with moderate traffic and EAP engaged.

Overall, I'm very happy with these results. Using 14kWh for a ~80mi commute is really awesome. It's around 5.5 miles per kWh. My rated range dropped 64 miles for this drive.

What are other people seeing? Is this consistent with your commutes?

Electroman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 18, 2012
TX
Sometimes the efficiency numbers are unrealistically so good, I get the feeling that it is rigged. Honestly. I was looking to see where the loophole is..

• Love
Reactions: kbM3

Dogwhistle

Sep 8, 2015
Delaware
Looks like on your first leg you were averaging about 20mph, that will definitely help efficiency, as you are right at “max range” speed!

novox77

1.21 Gigawatts
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
Looks like on your first leg you were averaging about 20mph, that will definitely help efficiency, as you are right at “max range” speed!

The average speed is a bit misleading here. This is one of those commutes where you have 5 miles left, but it takes 49 minutes to travel those last 5 miles. Which means the first part of the morning commute was actually pretty decent (fast speeds).

Reactions: Electroman

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC