Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More front door handle woes...they don't retract...make grinding noises...when I unlock it, the doors pop open a couple of inches.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was having issues with three of my handles, the rear passenger wouldn't present at all or unlock, the two front would present but not unlock the doors.
Sometimes retract, sometimes not and when they wouldn't would make a terrible grinding noise. Though when they don't retract, and it locks, when I unlock it, the door pops open.

I took it in, and paid close to $300 per door for repairs...all were working fine.

THE NEXT DAY...the front two doors present and unlock just fine, but now won't retract again and make that terrible grinding type noise. At least they do lock/unlock now.

If I give them a little bump from the outside, they retract okay, present okay and unlock okay.

But again, when they don't retract and I don't bump them to retract, then lock the car, the doors do lock...but the moment I issue an unlock the doors pop open.

So now I have to either bump them both in when I lock up the car, or if I don't...when it's time to use the car and unlock it, I have to go close the front passenger door.
Scheduled another service but now they can't see me for 2.5 weeks.

Anyone have this issue before? I'm wondering if it's something I can take care of myself.

Completely agree with above.
the door handles are really not that complicated in their operation. Small motor turns small gear pushes them out. Spring pulls them back in. But they do need to be “centered“ and adjustEd for depth correctly for all this to work smoothly. You could probably do it yourself if you were a DIY person and had a few hours to kill, but I wouldn’t if you’ve paid them to do the job already.
they need to do it correctly. Be extra anal when you pick it up and pay close attention to the depth and adjustments and make sure it’s right.

Reactions: TurboTimmy