Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More FUD from the National Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you looked at their homepage? Its just right wing trash, why even dignify it by linking it?

For whatever algorithm reason, this article popped up on my trending topics on FB at the height of the viral P85D reactions video. I would imagine that a fair amount of eyeballs came across the FUD, and I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't ignore it. Unfortunately, a lot of people get their news/information solely from their social media, and I think it's important to battle FUD where you can. You won't sway the opinions of the people shouting you down, but when you make a reasoned counterpoint with references for your facts, you may change the minds of the casual observer, and they can choose for themselves what they believe. Facts tend to win if someone is bringing them to light and the reader doesn't come in with a pre-disposition pro/con for the subject matter.

There is politics at the base of every Tesla FUD out there. The wind beneath the wings of those FUDers is their Right wing ideology. Big oil, NADA mafia get most of their political support from the GOP.

So how is it possible to have any meaningful debate without any reference to elephant in the room - politics?

Okay, we're about to cross the line here... back down the politics.

Romney, during a political debate called Tesla a loser. And more recently, Obama mentioned Tesla in his state of the union address. The writer of this article might have brought it out now as a response to the shout out.

It's a fine line to walk when the article was an attempt at politicizing Tesla/Elon Musk as going after governmental money.

FYI, the Texas dealer franchise law was passed decades ago when Texas was a one party state--Democratic.

And as Elon said, there was an actual abuse by manufacturers problem that existed back then which has long since disappeared.

Today it would be almost impossible for that kind of abuse because dealers are no longer one-brand small businesses. They are multi-brand and often multi-state enterprises which likely have more power than the car manufacturers have.

I always get a chuckle when I hear people talking about Tesla being a "loser" and "taking a bailout." They took a DOE advanced vehicle loan, not a full-fledged "bailout" like GM and Chrysler. You know who was the single biggest recipient of DOE advanced vehicle loans? That's right, Ford, the all-'Murican company that "didn't take the bailout." Don't get me wrong, I generally like Ford, and have a substantial amount of their stock. But they haven't paid their loans back nine years ahead of schedule with interest. I guess them riding the wave of goodwill for "not taking the bailout" have kept them above intense scrutiny on this.

I always get a chuckle when I hear people talking about Tesla being a "loser" and "taking a bailout." They took a DOE advanced vehicle loan, not a full-fledged "bailout" like GM and Chrysler. You know who was the single biggest recipient of DOE advanced vehicle loans? That's right, Ford, the all-'Murican company that "didn't take the bailout." Don't get me wrong, I generally like Ford, and have a substantial amount of their stock. But they haven't paid their loans back nine years ahead of schedule with interest. I guess them riding the wave of goodwill for "not taking the bailout" have kept them above intense scrutiny on this.

This is getting off topic but I agree that the word bailout has been the most misused word of the decade. I for one get sick of hearing about all the "bank bailouts" when in the end, the government made billions off of these "loans" which were guaranteed with an equity stake and high yield preferred. Very few companies actually got true bailouts, most got loans that have or will be paid back eventually. GM seems to stand out though as a particular egregious recipient.

This is getting off topic but I agree that the word bailout has been the most misused word of the decade. I for one get sick of hearing about all the "bank bailouts" when in the end, the government made billions off of these "loans" which were guaranteed with an equity stake and high yield preferred. Very few companies actually got true bailouts, most got loans that have or will be paid back eventually. GM seems to stand out though as a particular egregious recipient.

Too true. The other word that is used a lot to attack Tesla, and this article is an example of this, is the word "subsidy." I am constantly having to fight against that word. Tesla does not get subsidies, they get governmental support. There is a big distinction. A loan is not a subsidy, and nor is a tax credit. The government doesn't give Tesla money and Tesla doesn't owe the government any money. If they did, then it would be a subsidy. Subsidy is just a hot button buzz word designed to create animosity and a knee jerk reaction. It is used incorrectly to describe Tesla all the time.