Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

more fun with the phone "key"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious. Is anyone having problems using an Android phone or is this mainly an iPhone problem? If you are having problems with an Android phone, have you checked your permission settings for the Tesla app and made sure "battery saver" features are turned off and the Tesla app is excluded?

Just curious. Is anyone having problems using an Android phone or is this mainly an iPhone problem? If you are having problems with an Android phone, have you checked your permission settings for the Tesla app and made sure "battery saver" features are turned off and the Tesla app is excluded?
From what I’ve read and gathered a vast majority or the problems are with Androids.... Probably for the exact reason you stated above.

That's not the feeling I get from the posts on these forums. Invariable it's an unhappy iPhone user. If there is an unhappy Android user, I'd like to help troubleshoot. I refuse to believe I have a "golden" Android phone.

Not according to this survey.

Poll: Model 3 Phone Key Failure Rate

2018-09-26.png

78% of iPhone users (69 of 88) have issues less than 10% of time
29% of Android users (19 of 65) have issues less than 10% of time

There is a newer survey somewhere I couldn't find but had very similar results.

Last edited:
I think I figured out why my LG G4 fails some of the time. I think if I left it in my pocket for a while (>5 min), when the proximity sensor is covered, it somehow disabled part of the bluetooth. If I just take the phone out of the pocket, it will work. If I just put it in my pocket, walk out the house door to my car in under 2 min.. it will work. I tried turning off the battery optimize on the Tesla app and it didn't seem to help. Pretty much I just need to hold my phone instead of leaving it in the pocket.

I think I figured out why my LG G4 fails some of the time. I think if I left it in my pocket for a while (>5 min), when the proximity sensor is covered, it somehow disabled part of the bluetooth. If I just take the phone out of the pocket, it will work. If I just put it in my pocket, walk out the house door to my car in under 2 min.. it will work. I tried turning off the battery optimize on the Tesla app and it didn't seem to help. Pretty much I just need to hold my phone instead of leaving it in the pocket.

It sounds like there may be something other than the built-in Android battery management that's "dozing" the phone.

It sounds like there may be something other than the built-in Android battery management that's "dozing" the phone.

The only battery management I found was in the App menu. It is app by app and Tesla app's battery optimization was turned off. But I am thinking that OS turn off bluetooth (or put it to sleep) under certain condition unrelated to app. Anyway, I looked under the Bluetooth menu and I found a new setting I could change. It's call "Ready to Connect". The description says "Allow other devices nearby to connect to your phone anytime to share content even when Bluetooth is off." So originally it is set to "No one". I just changed to "Anyone". Lets see if that helps.

The only battery management I found was in the App menu. It is app by app and Tesla app's battery optimization was turned off. But I am thinking that OS turn off bluetooth (or put it to sleep) under certain condition unrelated to app. Anyway, I looked under the Bluetooth menu and I found a new setting I could change. It's call "Ready to Connect". The description says "Allow other devices nearby to connect to your phone anytime to share content even when Bluetooth is off." So originally it is set to "No one". I just changed to "Anyone". Lets see if that helps.

That "Ready to Connect" option change does nothing. But I am now pretty sure my bluetooth not working when my phone is in the pocket. It must be the phone OS turned off something when phone is in pocket. There is no way pocket on the shorts will block bluetooth signal.

That "Ready to Connect" option change does nothing. But I am now pretty sure my bluetooth not working when my phone is in the pocket. It must be the phone OS turned off something when phone is in pocket. There is no way pocket on the shorts will block bluetooth signal.

Try setting the following apps (if present) to “Not optimized” in the system Battery, Battery optimization (menu) settings:
  • Google Play services
  • Google Services Framework
  • Motorola Sensor Service

The OP is using Android. In post 32, he refers to OP5 (I assume the OnePlus 5) and refers to OxygenOS - Wikipedia.

On second model 3 now, both I-phones (wife and mine) work flawlessly - no issues in 7 months.

I have a major problem though - I keep forgetting to lock my other car with the key fob.....

To the OP: have you considered changing the phone? It will certainly be much quicker than waiting for a Tesla fob.

Reactions: TT97
On second model 3 now, both I-phones (wife and mine) work flawlessly - no issues in 7 months.

I have a major problem though - I keep forgetting to lock my other car with the key fob.....

To the OP: have you considered changing the phone? It will certainly be much quicker than waiting for a Tesla fob.
I have actually left my wife's ICE car running when I got out and went into the house.

• Funny
Reactions: mhan00 and svp6
Try setting the following apps (if present) to “Not optimized” in the system Battery, Battery optimization (menu) settings:
  • Google Play services
  • Google Services Framework
  • Motorola Sensor Service

I checked, and Google Play Services is already ignore optimization by default. I can't even uncheck it. I added Google Service Framework. It is a LG phone it does not have Motorola Sensor Service.

Interesting enough, since the Ignore Optimization setting is under Battery, I took a look at the Battery Usage. Number 1 is "Screen" which is normal. Number 2 is now "Bluetooth" which is very strange. It has got to be Tesla app keeping it running. I just reset my phone and it is at 100%... so probably why Bluetooth took 2nd.. but it is odd to see it shows up at all.