Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More M3 than Bolt in 2017? Yes or No

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is very likely. Ramping to only 4k/week in November would yield over 25k which would likely be enough for the 'win'.

I think a more interesting question is how many months it will take the M3 to top the InsideEVs monthly US chart.
I expect Tesla to have 3 in the top five by the end of 2017. ;-)

Reactions: Waiting4M3
I'm fairly certain that I will see a Model 3 in South Carolina before I see a Bolt.

You can see an M3 now. South Carolina had internet last time I was there, which was a long time ago.

You can buy a Bolt EV now if you are willing.

You should have Bolts in SC (not imported from California or other states) in 3 months, perhaps less.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
You can see an M3 now. South Carolina had internet last time I was there, which was a long time ago.

You can buy a Bolt EV now if you are willing.

You should have Bolts in SC (not imported from California or other states) in 3 months, perhaps less.
artshark.gif

How many Fremont and Gigafactory employees do you think ordered the model 3? I think Tesla will keep the model 3 "close to home" for months.

Since the #1 market for Teslas is California, and existing Tesla owners are supposed to get theirs first (after CTF/employee cars), it is possible California will consume all Model 3 production for 2017 and perhaps much of 2018.

Last edited:
Since the #1 market for Teslas is California, and existing Tesla owners are supposed to get theirs first (after CTF/employee cars), it is possible California will consume all Model 3 production for 2017 and perhaps much of 2018.
It's definitely possible. Out of the 400K reservation, say 1/2 is US, and 1/2 of that is CA, then you have 100K CA reservations. Excluding people who want AWD, lets say 1/2 of them buy RWD model, that's 50K in CA. If Tesla delivers 50K M3 in 2017 I think it would be on the optimistic side of most people's estimates.

Edit: but looking at the infrastructure build-out such ass Superchargers, it seems unlikely that Tesla will dump all these new M3 all in CA.

It's definitely possible. Out of the 400K reservation, say 1/2 is US, and 1/2 of that is CA, then you have 100K CA reservations. Excluding people who want AWD, lets say 1/2 of them buy RWD model, that's 50K in CA. If Tesla delivers 50K M3 in 2017 I think it would be on the optimistic side of most people's estimates.

Edit: but looking at the infrastructure build-out such ass Superchargers, it seems unlikely that Tesla will dump all these new M3 all in CA.

A lot depends on profitability of the Model 3. If the M3 is not profitable at release time, it is wise to slow down production until profitability can be maintained. Unlike GM, Tesla cannot fill the upholstery using $100 bills just to move inventory. If they sell 100,000 units at a loss, the consequences could be dramatic.

A lot depends on profitability of the Model 3. If the M3 is not profitable at release time, it is wise to slow down production until profitability can be maintained.

Elon made it clear in Q1 Q&A that decent/good profitability depends on getting the ramp finished to fully leverage the labor.

So delay unlikely given choice, though they will clearly continue looking for opportunities to eliminate unnecessary cost.

• Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3
I think a more interesting question is how many months it will take the M3 to top the InsideEVs monthly US chart.
I expect Tesla to have 3 in the top five by the end of 2017. ;-)

In case that wasn't clear, I was trying to say three models in the top five.

I'll call them 3,X,S in that order, though not necessarily 1, 2, 3. ;-)
Current guess for others in the top five are also the Prime, and either Volt or Bolt.

Its starting to look like the Bolt has a shot at overtaking the Volt in the US before the end of the year.