Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MORE MCU QUESTIONS AND STUCK ON 2020.48.37.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my 2017 Model X about one year ago. Here are the specs—75D, FSD, Premium Connectivity, manufacture 3/17. The eMMC has been upgraded to 64, but it is still MCU1. When using EAP or FSD, I see stoplights and stop signs which I understand indicates that the car is AP3 (or HW3). The web browser rarely functions but apparently that is a very common issue. TuneIn is less than perfect even though there are 4 bars signal. On my Tesla app, it says I have all software upgrades. Recently I reached out to my service center to have the cameras upgraded but received a message that there were no replacement cameras available at this time.

Aside from trying to understand what upgrades are necessary for FSD beta, I am troubled that my car is ‘stuck’ on 2020.48.37.8 and my Tesla app is ‘stuck’ on 4.5.0-858-49332ca20. Surely there are many other X’s (and S’s) on the planet that are in the same predicament. Many nice features have been introduced in subsequent releases—dashcam viewer, adding stops to navigation and charging stats to name a few. I understand that upgrading to MCU2 will add games, Netflix, etc and improve visualization and many that have upgraded seem to be happy. But is that the extent of the upgrade? Moreover, I have read that MCU1 doesn’t play well with HW3.

I have read a lot of posts on this forum on this subject and admit I don’t get it (hey, I have been an ICE guy all my life until now). I posed my issues to my service center and while they were very polite about it, simply said I had all the firmware I was entitled to and offered no solutions.

So, please bear with me as I try to nail this down.

Will upgrading to MCU2 open the door to all firmware upgrades applicable to my car and to the app as well? If not, what does?

Will upgrading to MCU2 improve performance of the browser and TuneIn?

If there is a cost to upgrade to MCU2, shouldn’t it be discounted since I already have HW3?

For those that have upgraded to MCU2, is the performance of the extra cost FM module satisfactory?

Is it practical to rely solely on TuneIn for radio broadcasts?

Are both screens replaced at the time of the MCU2 upgrade?

I thank all responses in advance.

SC won't tell you that the development cycle has reached an end for MCU1. They probably will continue to release bug fixes but not much more than that. Think of MCU1 as an iPhones or Samsung Androids that won't receive new version of the OS but still receive security updates for several years until they reach the life cycle.
Since our cars have the side cameras, upgrading to MCU2 and HW3 will get them very close to the later 2019/2020/2021 S/X in-term of tech. My MCU1 unfortunately has been having a lot of weird issues which local SC and Tesla had tried but failed to address. Also according to the SC tech, the issue may not be fixed by replacing the MCU1 by another MCU1. At this time, it's next to impossible for them to source the replacement MCU1. I have extended warranty and fortunately, it covers the cost of MCU replacement. I'm getting the MCU2 replacement in a few weeks.

Most of your questions can be answered by looking at the S sub-forum. There're a lot of previous discussions regarding the upgrade. They'll replace both screens, MCU, radio (optional $500), AP computer - 2.5k + tax for AP2 generation. Since you already have the newer AP computer, you may ask them for a discount.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: OnBass
I too had not got any software updates to the car for quite a while (same specs as you, 2017 Model X 75D, HW3 updated and MCU1), until yesterday. Yesterday I got 2021.24.28. It was later in the evening so haven't had a chance to go check it out yet. Someone in the S forum said it made great improvements to UI speed, and the browser actually worked (gasp).
As for the app, even though I have auto-updates turned on (iPhone) I still have to go to the AppStore, find the Tesla app, and tap into it to get the update. Currently phone app version 4.5.1.

Much to my surprise, I received the 2021.24.48 update. The release notes talk about cold weather improvements, new language support, dashcam activation in the event of an accident and hotspot connectivity when not connected to wifi. No mention of UI speed. Haven't tried the browser yet.

Will upgrading to MCU2 open the door to all firmware upgrades applicable to my car and to the app as well? If not, what does?
Yes. However Don't count on FSD, it still requires Camera upgrades that has a backlog and has a beta access request process that does not look promising for many.

Yes.

If there is a cost to upgrade to MCU2, shouldn’t it be discounted since I already have HW3?
$1500, $500 more if you want FM. AP3 computer is nothing to do here.

For those that have upgraded to MCU2, is the performance of the extra cost FM module satisfactory?
I cant answer this here, as I dont have MCU2.

Sorry cant help here, don't use TuneIn.

Yes.

Reactions: BobX
Just upgraded to MCU2. Everything working just fine. Moved all the way up to 2022.4.5.4 (from 2020.48.37.8) including invitation to Beta FSD. As others have reported, everything seems to work faster. Takes a while to get used to the changes on some of the controls. I am not sure I can attribute this to the upgrade, but connectivity seems to be better--features like TuneIn work fine and browser seems to be better as well.

Reactions: Tesomega
Just upgraded to MCU2. Everything working just fine. Moved all the way up to 2022.4.5.4 (from 2020.48.37.8) including invitation to Beta FSD. As others have reported, everything seems to work faster. Takes a while to get used to the changes on some of the controls. I am not sure I can attribute this to the upgrade, but connectivity seems to be better--features like TuneIn work fine and browser seems to be better as well.
Be aware that you won't be able to actually get the FSD beta until you get upgraded RCCB cameras (upgrades for which are by invite only at this point).

That was my understanding but the fact that I was invited to participate in the FSD Beta with the existing camera hardware, suggests I do not know what to think. Presently I am working on my safety score. Don't tell me they are making me go through that knowing I don't have the camera upgrade and cannot (should not??) participate in the FSD Beta.

That was my understanding but the fact that I was invited to participate in the FSD Beta with the existing camera hardware, suggests I do not know what to think. Presently I am working on my safety score. Don't tell me they are making me go through that knowing I don't have the camera upgrade and cannot (should not??) participate in the FSD Beta.
Yeah, the "Request FSD Beta" button shows up regardless of whether your car has the necessary cameras. :-( You will just never get the beta software.

See this very long thread: Wiki - [Promised Resolution] FSD’s earliest adopters find themselves again deprioritized and forgotten

Reactions: BobX
Be aware that you won't be able to actually get the FSD beta until you get upgraded RCCB cameras (upgrades for which are by invite only at this point).
I did not get an invite by email, but when I was in the SC for infotainment upgrade, the camera replacement auto appeared on the invoice as a $1300 item, talking to the rep I was told that is normal and that during the service the cost would be reduced to $0 for the cameras. I did not have to pay for the camera replacements.

Reactions: Tesomega
I did not get an invite by email, but when I was in the SC for infotainment upgrade, the camera replacement auto appeared on the invoice as a $1300 item, talking to the rep I was told that is normal and that during the service the cost would be reduced to $0 for the cameras. I did not have to pay for the camera replacements.
Hi, I'm in Ontario and need the camera replacements too for a 2.0 Autopilot X. How did you prompt the process of upgrading your cameras, since you didn't get an invite from them. I'm afraid they'll leave Canada in the dark so I'd like to get a headstart on this process if there's anything I can do! Thanks a lot.

Can I get the part number/title for anything cameras related on your service invoice, will message them about my upgrade!
The below is copied verbatim from the invoice. Note the first para suggests different work on the left repeater from the right repeater, however para 4 and 5 suggest the same parts/work for each side. Maybe the first para is free text from one or two service guys who did the work, and nothing to be read into using different word (e.g. "Light" v "Lamp").
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Concern: Camera Replacement(s) for Vehicles Configured with Full Self-Driving Capability Amount (CAD) 0.00
Verified customer concern. Performed Forward Facing Camera Target Calibration. Replaced LH "B" Post Trim Panel. Replaced RH "B" Post Trim Panel. Replaced Left Front Side Repeater Light. Replaced RH Front Side Repeater Lamp and camera assembly. Replaced Forward Facing Camera. Road tested vehicle and confirmed vehicle working as designed.

Correction "B" Post Trim Panel - LH (Remove & Replace)
APPLIQUE,MS,BPLR,LH ASSY(1092306-00-G) Quantity 1.00

Correction "B" Post Trim Panel - RH (Remove & Replace)
APPLIQUE,MS,BPLR,RH ASSY(1496709-S0-B) Quantity 1.00

Correction: Lamp and Camera Assembly - Side Repeater - Front - LH (Remove and Replace)
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LH(1642010-00-A) Quantity 1.00

Correction: Lamp and Camera Assembly - Side Repeater - Front - RH (Remove and Replace)
LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RH(1642011-00-A) Quantity 1.00

Correction: Camera - Triple - Forward Facing (Remove and Replace)
INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3(1120520-00-B) Quantity 1.00

Correction: Camera - Forward Facing (Target Calibration)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hope that helps. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: BobX and Zion_M3
Yes. However Don't count on FSD, it still requires Camera upgrades that has a backlog and has a beta access request process that does not look promising for many.

Yes.

$1500, $500 more if you want FM. AP3 computer is nothing to do here.

I cant answer this here, as I dont have MCU2.

Sorry cant help here, don't use TuneIn.

Yes.
Just did the upgrade - re. TuneIn (which worked more reliably than DAB digital radio on MCU1) - it's severely restricted in comparison. Loading Error on many stations. I didn't take the extra FM module, but given the downgrade on TuneIn, I'd recommend you take the FM module - just in case :)