TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

More Model ≡ or Bolts in 2017?

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by Sonny Daze, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Which vehicle will have more units produced in 2017?

Poll closed Dec 27, 2016.
  1. Model ≡

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Bolt

29 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

With the official release of the Chevy Bolt supposedly happening tomorrow, I thought this would be a good time to ask the question.

I went back and forth between focusing on production or sales but since Tesla and Chevy count sales differently, I finally settled on production so that it would be more of an apples to apples comparison.

2. Eclectic

Eclectic Banned

Since the history of Tesla product launches is very clear, the odds are that at best, there will be a handful of Model 3s produced/delivered in 2017. On top of that, the Model 3 hasn't even advanced beyond the prototype stage. Meanwhile, Bolt sales are about to start. There will be more Bolts produced/sold in 2017 and, very likely, 2018 as well.

• Funny x 1
  3. 22522

22522 Active Member

If companies produce to meet demand, the answer might be the Model 3.

4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Bolt in 2017; Model 3 in 2018.

• Like x 1
  5. Clomer

Clomer Member

I fully expect the Bolt to ship more units than the Model 3 in 2017, but if Tesla produces even a fifth of what Musk is publicly announcing in 2018, the Model 3 will absolutely trounce the Bolt in that year.

6. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

Produced:
    Model 3 - 75,000
    Bolt - 25,000

Sold:
    Model 3 - 25,000 (50,000 held back for tax credit reasons and fixing early issues)
    Bolt - 7,000 (Plus 15,000 leases)

7. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I just looked up Bolt inventory on cars.com

Zero

I was expecting at least two.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

I'm not aware of any retail dealer deliveries yet. There was a news story that claimed a bunch of cars were scheduled to be delivered today to a dealer in Portland but I suspect the reporter was confused.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Bolt.
    The other car doesn't exist.

10. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Poll closes soon. Not much new information, but wanted to give everyone a chance to add or change their vote.

11. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

Was closer than I thought it would be (thought the fanboys would come out in force :)). Don't think there will be too many surprises with Bolt production. Will all come down to how quickly Tesla ramps up (assuming they get started "on time").