Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Model 3 changes and leasing now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if I don't by the FSD right now...that will still come with 2.5 HW. Say in 1-2 years I decide to pay the $7000 for FSD (price for not adding it initially) will that include the upgrade to HW3 or just the software for FSD but will run on HW2.5 ?

FSD will always include the upgrade to HW3 for cars that didn't come with it- because 2.5 won't be capable of running the more advanced software that's coming.

I think by "that Audi" @Az_Rael meant the eTron, which is starting deliveries in the US next month. Tesla competition does include cars coming the next 2 years too, such as the Taycan, because knowing the cars are coming people are more likely to postpone buying a new Tesla (whether their first or an upgrade).

Any reason to believe the E-tron will be any more successful than the i-Pace? i-Pace has been delivering in the US since October - anyone here seen one yet on the road, except maybe CA? Goodcarbadcar.net shows the i-Pace only selling ~200 per month - Tesla moves more than that every day. Maybe everyone is waiting for the Taycan...

Any reason to believe the E-tron will be any more successful than the i-Pace? i-Pace has been delivering in the US since October - anyone here seen one yet on the road, except maybe CA? Goodcarbadcar.net shows the i-Pace only selling ~200 per month - Tesla moves more than that every day. Maybe everyone is waiting for the Taycan...

I haven’t seen an i-pace in the wild. But Jaguar sightings in general are pretty rare. I think the Audi might do better just because the brand has a larger base. Lots more folks walk through the showrooms and might notice they have an EV.

Reactions: mattjs33
I haven’t seen an i-pace in the wild. But Jaguar sightings in general are pretty rare. I think the Audi might do better just because the brand has a larger base. Lots more folks walk through the showrooms and might notice they have an EV.

FWIW Audi already has cut production targets by 20%... they said it's from battery shortages, but they've dropped the total worldwide production goal to like 45k cars... or less than 1/10th Teslas annual target.

Maybe because iPace is a Jaguar. Audi ships almost 10x the number of cars that Jaguar does in the US. So, if that ratio was to hold, 2000 cars per month in S/X category is a large part of the market.

Maybe because iPace is a Jaguar. Audi ships almost 10x the number of cars that Jaguar does in the US. So, if that ratio was to hold, 2000 cars per month in S/X category is a large part of the market.

Yeah I looked at it last year before pulling the trigger on my S. "Jaguar" and "electric" just doesn't feel right! Though they have had the entire upscale non-Tesla EV market to themselves for nearly a year - you would think if there were that many Tesla haters just itching to buy some other luxury EV they'd be flying out of show rooms.

Let's see how many e-trons they actually sell each month - we'll know soon.

I've been away a bit... @MXWing

It's way more fun to drive one than to discuss in my opinion. ;) Have you driven a 3?

I have not, and I'm not going to pay Turo for the privilege. I only personally know one 3 owner and that's on an acquaintance level. He'd probably let me drive it but I don't have his number and only see him every few months.

Point taken, however.

No one NEEDS an EV, until they own one.

No, I literally don't need an EV. I live 1.5 miles from work. That makes me a perfect EV candidate (shoot, a Think would do the trick). However, my company pays for my gas. Which means, buying an EV would increase my fuel spend! :D

I have 9 licensed vehicles at my disposal (none of them are really worth anything) and consequently by spreading the wealth I am at the gas station way more often to buy lottery tickets than I am gas. So stopping there is no big deal to me.

I'd love to see the $35K used car contender you would have in mind.

You can buy a LOT of used car at $35K. I could buy a really nice used Lotus, just for starters, or any number of quite interesting cars, some of which originally sold for six figures. Again, I'm not scared of used cars (it's all I've ever bought).

A Tesla fan will counter-argue "But none of them are as GOOD as the Tesla". Whether or not this is objectively true, I don't really care. I like INTERESTING vehicular relationships. Again I'm not married to the EV ideal, but I certainly wouldn't say no to one. I happen to notice however that with $35K I could very nearly buy a used Maserati AND an MV Augusta F4.

I own a Yugo. By all metrics it's a terrible car. But man does it have personality. It's a hoot to drive. I've never bought a vehicle in my life that was the best choice possible, and I like it that way.

Ford has essentially killed their ICE lineup of sedans to focus on EV...

That's not entirely true. Ford killed all of their cars in favor of high-profit SUVs, and are quite a few years behind everyone else on the EV curve.

Last edited:
Welcome back! Hope all is well.

I have not, and I'm not going to pay Turo for the privilege. I only personally know one 3 owner and that's on an acquaintance level. He'd probably let me drive it but I don't have his number and only see him every few months.

For all the pins you've stuck into your Musk voodoo doll you really need to rent the Model 3 for a day and give it an honest run. What's the worst thing that can happen? You might actually like the car and figure out what all the fuss is ultimately about?

With the rate of Model 3s in the wild now, I imagine rates on Turo are dropping and that circle of Tesla acquaintances will grow.

Heck, get a PERFORMANCE and have some fun. Drive it down to 40miles and then supercharge it and see how fast that thing goes from empty to 70%.

No, I literally don't need an EV. I live 1.5 miles from work. That makes me a perfect EV candidate (shoot, a Think would do the trick). However, my company pays for my gas. Which means, buying an EV would increase my fuel spend! :D

I have 9 licensed vehicles at my disposal (none of them are really worth anything) and consequently by spreading the wealth I am at the gas station way more often to buy lottery tickets than I am gas. So stopping there is no big deal to me.

No one NEEDS an EV unless they are @mattjs33 apparently. :) Almost none of us are set up the way you are. Therefore, you should rent one for awhile just to know what they are like.

You can buy a LOT of used car at $35K. I could buy a really nice used Lotus, just for starters, or any number of quite interesting cars, some of which originally sold for six figures. Again, I'm not scared of used cars (it's all I've ever bought).

A Tesla fan will counter-argue "But none of them are as GOOD as the Tesla". Whether or not this is objectively true, I don't really care. I like INTERESTING vehicular relationships. Again I'm not married to the EV ideal, but I certainly wouldn't say no to one. I happen to notice however that with $35K I could very nearly buy a used Maserati AND an MV Augusta F4.

I own a Yugo. By all metrics it's a terrible car. But man does it have personality. It's a hoot to drive. I've never bought a vehicle in my life that was the best choice possible, and I like it that way.

A guy who runs an auto parts store but is afraid of used cars is a fish scared of water - you can't use your own unique circumstances to say a 100,000 mile battery warranties wouldn't help someone else.

Subjectively, objectively - you can see Tesla all over the road. You have spoken, I have spoken but look at what everyone but US is speaking. They are getting Model 3s in massive numbers.

People have their tastes.. that I get. Mine happens to be Tesla. With the 2nd Model 3, no more ICE or nothing else besides Tesla now.

Speaking of Maserati's... one was weaving through traffic until I caught up to it.

It looked new, what model Maserati, I don't know and don't care.

All I knew was it would not DARE to rev on me. I was right. By the time I turned, it was dropping behind vans and Camry's.

A under 70K car now that makes a Maserati cower - I find that extremely interesting.

Also - less than 35K with incentives. I had to get another one last week. Didn't tell my wife even. Forced her to drive it after I ran the numbers.

Added second Model 3 to family, 3SR stupid cheap.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SmartElectric
For all the pins you've stuck into your Musk voodoo doll …

See, even though I sometimes disagree with you, it's comments like this that make me have no choice but to like you.

For the record, I don't want Tesla to fail, nor do I think it will. I happen to think Elon is kind of a d!ck and is probably not the right person to be helming Tesla at the moment. He makes his life more difficult than he needs to, so he sure doesn't need my help.

With the rate of Model 3s in the wild now, I imagine rates on Turo are dropping and that circle of Tesla acquaintances will grow.

Heck, get a PERFORMANCE and have some fun. Drive it down to 40miles and then supercharge it and see how fast that thing goes from empty to 70%.

I would actually welcome that, because as I've said before I always welcome a new driving experience. It's probably an eventuality.

No one NEEDS an EV unless they are @mattjs33 apparently. :) Almost none of us are set up the way you are.

Ha, I suppose not. But we'll get back to that.

A guy who runs an auto parts store but is afraid of used cars is a fish scared of water - you can't use your own unique circumstances to say a 100,000 mile battery warranties wouldn't help someone else.

True, yes, but the point I'm making is that a used car shouldn't scare anyone else off either. Cars are made so well now that 100,000 miles is really nothing anymore. You can argue that anything out of warranty poses a repair cost risk, that includes a Tesla, but there's a reason the average age of a car on the road is now brushing up against 12 years.

Recognize that a $35K (or $38K for that matter) price point includes a lot of very compelling product, and in the real world new cars of all brands including Tesla have to compete with that.

Subjectively, objectively - you can see Tesla all over the road. You have spoken, I have spoken but look at what everyone but US is speaking. They are getting Model 3s in massive numbers.

People have their tastes.. that I get. Mine happens to be Tesla. With the 2nd Model 3, no more ICE or nothing else besides Tesla now.

The Model 3 is selling very well, but "massive numbers" requires a bit of perspective. If you live in California, I'm sure it must seem as if they are everywhere. But despite all of Tesla's growth and sales success thus far in 2019 (which is palpable), they still have a smaller share of the US market than Jaguar/Land Rover. Ford and General Motors are over 20 times their size each, with Toyota and FCA coming in at 19 and 18 times larger respectively.

Over 17 million people who bought a new car in the US last year, DIDN'T buy a Tesla. Why not? I point this out because while pretty much everyone here thinks that Tesla is the Best Car in the World, there's a whole LOT of inferior cars being sold every day. Why would someone buy an inferior car?

A car purchase decision has a LOT of factors, and there are as many reasons to buy a particular car as there are people. Take my case above; you can laugh at it since who else would have the same scenario, but I'm sure there's others even more wacky, and others that make a lot of sense.

I've been here nine years and seen people say dumb things like Tesla will run the Detroit 3 out of business, or someday all cars on the road will be Teslas, and I'm telling you it's never gonna happen. Tesla is sure to grow as long as they don't do anything stupid, but if Mitsubishi is somehow still out there successfully selling cars, I think the Big Guys are going to be okay.

Building the Best Car in the World doesn't matter as much in the marketplace as you think it does.

A under 70K car now that makes a Maserati cower - I find that extremely interesting.

Funny story, but again let's not forget that a large part of the market doesn't care about that. Only one car is the fastest in the world, and yet all the slower ones still sell. Tesla fans get REAL proud of 0-60 numbers, but I'll maintain that anything under about 4.5 all gets lumped into "pretty damn fast". It's mostly a d!ck waving contest after that.

My track car gives up a lot these days to the Corvettes, but I'm not sure there's anyone out there having any more fun than I am. Being fastest isn't always what it's all about, and anyway someone faster always comes along. Having said that, I'm sure the Model 3 speed is addictive and I'd like to experience it myself.

Maserati's are poseur cars - all noise and no go. Style maybe. I looked at them briefly on my last purchase. Among similar ICE, they just aren't in the same league as a Panamera, S7, M5.

Unique sure, but only because they can't sell them.

Even if Candice Swanepoel was a terrible dancer, I think I'd still be okay with her on my arm.

I was just using Maserati as an example that I've happened to look into previously. In any case, don't discount the appeal of uniqueness. It's the whole reason Morgan still exists.

Reactions: MXWing
Totally agree. I drive a 2016 Leaf, and got excited when they announced the new Leaf Plus, with a range of 226mi. A great improvement to my current range. I was all set to trade in this Leaf for a new Leaf Plus ----- until I saw the price!! A 226-mile Leaf Plus (the SL version with leather seats, Pro-Pilot assist, Bose stereo, etc) before adding any paint, options or accessories starts at $43,000!!! And it still looks like an ugly Prius.

So what would I rather spend $45,000 on:
1.) a 226-mi car that looks like a Prius and will never be better than the day you drive it off the lot? or
2.) a 325-mi car that looks and drives like a sexy sports car, and constantly improves with over-the-air updates?

Most importantly, the Leaf's battery degrades much faster since they are not liquid-cooled like Tesla (Chevy Bolt is the only other EV with liquid cooled battery). Plus the price, lol

Reactions: Mdoss
Over 17 million people who bought a new car in the US last year, DIDN'T buy a Tesla. Why not? I point this out because while pretty much everyone here thinks that Tesla is the Best Car in the World, there's a whole LOT of inferior cars being sold every day. Why would someone buy an inferior car?

Primary factor is cost. Tesla HAS captured the majority of the market that the Model 3 exists in (and above, and below it). The remainder of the car buyers who did not buy a Model 3 would likely be grouped as follows:
  • Lack of easily available charging (biggest reason IMO)
  • Anti New-Technology
  • Anti Tesla/EV's in general
  • Fleet owners (large number of vehicle sales are this) who have yet to done the necessary cost/benefit analysis on a Model 3 and realize that it IS a good value proposition when taking maintenance and fuel costs into consideration.
  • Does not meet functional criteria
    • Majority of the vehicle sales are not sedans but trucks and larger vehicles. Passenger vehicles only account for 30% of the market.
The market for a Model 3 is limited, and Tesla crushed it (and its adjacent market sectors) with a sledge hammer. The problem is the Model 3 production rate is greater than the US appetite at the moment so they have to swap their numbers across the world which brings in all the nuances of delivery optimization etc.

Wow didn’t know anyone else in the same position as me! I’m Very close to my work and they pay for gas too. It would be rough having to pay for my fuel, but man the model 3is just so coooooooool. :)