Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Model 3 changes and leasing now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cdub

OG 2011 Leaf / 2023 Model Y LR
Oct 7, 2014
Glendale, CA
An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup

Lots of changes. AGAIN. Autopilot now standard. Standard and LR now off menu. Standard is now a software limited plus.

Blog post below:

Model 3 has been the best-selling premium car in the U.S. for the past three quarters, and we’ve heard from Model 3 owners around the world that they love their cars. It has the highest consumer satisfaction rating of any car in the world.

Today, we’re making some changes to online ordering to simplify vehicle choices and make Autopilot more affordable.

All Tesla vehicles now come with Autopilot bundled as a standard feature for less than the prior cost of the option. For example, Model 3 Standard Plus used to cost $37,500, plus $3,000 for the Autopilot option. It now costs $39,500, with Autopilot included.

We think including Autopilot is very important because our data strongly indicates that the chance of an accident is much lower when Autopilot is enabled. Autopilot also dramatically improves the quality of the driving experience, especially in heavy traffic, as thousands of our customers frequently describe online.

Leasing
Beginning today, customers in the U.S. will be able to lease Model 3 for a small down payment and competitive monthly payments. Customers can choose any Model 3 variant and select an annual mileage option of 10,000, 12,000, or 15,000 miles.

Please note, customers who choose leasing over owning will not have the option to purchase their car at the end of the lease, because with full autonomy coming in the future via an over-the-air software update, we plan to use those vehicles in the Tesla ride-hailing network. Customers can visit tesla.com/3 now to lease a Model 3.

Options
Last quarter, we introduced two new Model 3 variants with more competitive pricing than ever before – Standard and Standard Plus. Since then, Standard Plus has sold at more than six times the rate of Standard, far exceeding our expectations.

Given the popularity of the Standard Plus relative to the Standard, we have made the decision to simplify our production operations to better optimize cost, minimize complexity and streamline operations. As a result, Model 3 Standard will now be a software-limited version of the Standard Plus, and we are taking it off the online ordering menu, which just means that to get it, customers will need to call us or visit any one of the several hundred Tesla stores. Deliveries of Model 3 Standard will begin this weekend.

Its range will be limited by 10%, and several features will be disabled via software (including our onboard music streaming service, navigation with live traffic visualization, and heated seats). Similar to other software-limited vehicles produced in the past, Standard customers will have the option to upgrade to a Standard Plus at any time. Similarly, anyone who has already bought Standard Plus and wants to convert to Standard is welcome to do so, and we will provide a refund for the difference in cost.

To further simplify our line-up, beginning today customers will also need to call or visit a Tesla store to get Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive. We’re making these changes to ensure that our online order process is focused exclusively on the three Model 3 variants customers want most.

All this pricing changes is making he a little dizzy. They shouldn't have taken the SR of menu though. That's bad.

They need to have the $35k model 3 as an option to buy.
You just have to call in for it. What is great though is everything is just disabled in software and you will have the option to have the heated seats turned on etc. This looks like a vast improvement to me.

So did anyone else notice the unusual leasing terms?

Please note, customers who choose leasing over owning will not have the option to purchase their car at the end of the lease, because with full autonomy coming in the future via an over-the-air software update, we plan to use those vehicles in the Tesla ride-hailing network.

So did anyone else notice the unusual leasing terms?

Please note, customers who choose leasing over owning will not have the option to purchase their car at the end of the lease, because with full autonomy coming in the future via an over-the-air software update, we plan to use those vehicles in the Tesla ride-hailing network.
This is bizarre. It probably has more to do with their residuals being so low that they would prefer to have the option to sell the car for more money.

Sounds like the $35K M3 is not happening anymore, without the mandatory bundled $2K AP. So much for affordable mass market:(
Where do you see that? It looks like the mandatory AP was for all models you order online.
Today, we’re making some changes to online ordering to simplify vehicle choices and make Autopilot more affordable.
Since the Standard is not available online I don't see where this applies.
Model 3 Standard will now be a software-limited version of the Standard Plus, and we are taking it off the online ordering menu, which just means that to get it, customers will need to call us or visit any one of the several hundred Tesla stores.

This is bizarre. It probably has more to do with their residuals being so low that they would prefer to have the option to sell the car for more money.

The leasing pricing on this genuinely sucks. I had been waiting for leasing to come online but decided last week to just go for the purchase. So, so glad I did; the leasing is a non-starter in my book, unless you have a tremendous tax advantage for doing so. Here in NJ, we have 0% sales tax on EV purchases, so that nullifies that for the most part.

I jumped on one.. I was literally debating on ordering earlier today then my wife told me to just do it... I jump online and suddenly it’s like $2,500 cheaper and you can lease it??? Wow ok.. so I ordered a blue with white interior AWD! I’ll go ahead and look at a lease too... my only fear in buying an EV now is someone might come out with something better in the next few years (especially battery/charging improvements). So this might work out perfect.. or if leasing is bad it’s still cheaper than it was before our movie haha.

The leasing pricing on this genuinely sucks. I had been waiting for leasing to come online but decided last week to just go for the purchase. So, so glad I did; the leasing is a non-starter in my book, unless you have a tremendous tax advantage for doing so. Here in NJ, we have 0% sales tax on EV purchases, so that nullifies that for the most part.

I don’t know why anyone would expect otherwise. The Model S and x only make sense to lease if you are using them for “business” and get tax advantages. They don’t subsidize the leases.

Reactions: dmurphy
Notice the paint options are also $500 cheaper than they used to be.

I bought my SR+ a month ago before the supposed price increase. And I added midnight silver paint and AP at $4500 additional. Then the price went up $500. But today AP and the same paint upgrade would cost $3000. All this means I paid $1000 more a month ago than I would have paid today.

I am not a happy camper...