Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Model 3 changes and leasing now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, it just keeps getting worse for previous buyers. Considering that EAP is no more, in reality to a used car buyer in the future, EAP's value is basically that now of AP. My car with that consideration is now $62,700 (with fees), my sticker with fees <6 months ago was exactly $72,700, putting us into 5-digit devaluation at sticker alone. Granted, I got an extra $3,750 of tax credit (which per the news might come back, another swift kick to the nuts).

Considering some of the weak resale cars I've owned, Tesla now ranks as the worst I've ever owned in first year depreciation. Oh well, it's only money. Sometimes I wish I hated the car so I could just unload it and move on, but regrettably, the car is great, still hate the business of Tesla though. I didn't even need this car late last year, but the "end of tax credit, end of the world, there will never be a lower price" I was being fed motivated me to buy, shame on me.

The Model 3 is a terrible lease candidate, why would you even consider it? Tesla or the finance company keeps the tax credit. You are in CO and you would be giving up a $5,000 state tax credit too.

Do you own a calculator?

Just. Say. No!
Not in CO anymore. I need to go figure out where that setting is.

Not going to do it, just curious. The overall pricing, however is getting to the point where I’m interested in the 3 again despite all the design items I don’t personally agree with.

Man, it just keeps getting worse for previous buyers. Considering that EAP is no more, in reality to a used car buyer in the future, EAP's value is basically that now of AP. My car with that consideration is now $62,700 (with fees), my sticker with fees <6 months ago was exactly $72,700, putting us into 5-digit devaluation at sticker alone. Granted, I got an extra $3,750 of tax credit (which per the news might come back, another swift kick to the nuts).

Considering some of the weak resale cars I've owned, Tesla now ranks as the worst I've ever owned in first year depreciation. Oh well, it's only money. Sometimes I wish I hated the car so I could just unload it and move on, but regrettably, the car is great, still hate the business of Tesla though. I didn't even need this car late last year, but the "end of tax credit, end of the world, there will never be a lower price" I was being fed motivated me to buy, shame on me.
Someone said in the investors thread that folks that ordered after the 200k trigger was met may have to amend their taxes because they would only be eligible for 7000 instead of 7500...

My opinion: They should have kept the $35k Model 3 available for online purchase. This will be (and already is on Jalopnik) being interpreted as a broken promise. Obviously I don't know how much they were losing on every $35k Model 3, but it seems worth it to me to have kept it just as available as all the other cars. I think it would have still been far outsold by the Standard Plus -- with both right there only adding a couple grand to your loan, the SP makes much more sense -- and it would have allowed the years-old promise of the $35k Model 3 to have been kept.

• Funny
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Not in CO anymore. I need to go figure out where that setting is.

Not going to do it, just curious. The overall pricing, however is getting to the point where I’m interested in the 3 again despite all the design items I don’t personally agree with.

Leasing is a good option when the manufacturer is propping the leasing up with heavy incentives. Car technology is changing quickly so a lot of consumers don't want to be stuck in a car for more than three years anyway, and leasing lets the manufacturer/bank take on the depreciation risk.

This makes great sense when you get manufacturer incentives and inflated residuals, like the 65% I got on a recent lease.

It makes terrible sense when the residual is 50% and the manufacturer won't sell you the car at the end.

Tesla is hoping that they can increase the attachment rate on their leases by "forcing" customers to lease another Tesla at the end of these leases when in reality there will probably be little to differentiate the 2019 model from the 2022 model.

Reactions: RBowen
My opinion: They should have kept the $35k Model 3 available for online purchase. This will be (and already is on Jalopnik) being interpreted as a broken promise. Obviously I don't know how much they were losing on every $35k Model 3, but it seems worth it to me to have kept it just as available as all the other cars. I think it would have still been far outsold by the Standard Plus -- with both right there only adding a couple grand to your loan, the SP makes much more sense -- and it would have allowed the years-old promise of the $35k Model 3 to have been kept.

If SR+ is being sold at a break even then they were losing a minimum of $2500 on every M3 base sold. In reality the number is higher due to the cost of building the different interior.

Let's say they sold 20,000 of them in 2019. That's a loss of $50,000,000.

It's hilarious to me that people are worried about the "black eye" Tesla will take by doing this.... are you kidding me? The press already hates Tesla and spins every single thing negative anyway.

WHY IS THIS CHANGING EVERY WEEK?!

The only reason I can see the phone/store requirement is so they can convince you to buy options... or discourage you from buying altogether.
Tesla is getting more dealershippy than dealerships. :confused:

Someone said in the investors thread that folks that ordered after the 200k trigger was met may have to amend their taxes because they would only be eligible for 7000 instead of 7500...
Let's stick to facts.
IRC 30D New Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit | Internal Revenue Service
tesla.PNG

Leasing is a good option...
I’m pretty up on the cost/benefits of leasing. I’m a target customer as I like to switch cars often and don’t mind paying a bit of a premium (not this much though) to always have a “fresh” one. Ideally, they will eventually implement some sort of subscription model where I just make a monthly payment and get a new car every X months (all maintenance/insurance included) like some of the other mfrs are doing.

I'd be happy to work alongside the government to forward those bills to Mr. Musk and/or Tesla given the overly aggressive albeit false advertising around the tax credits. That said, My car was well below the 200K trigger.

If SR+ is being sold at a break even then they were losing a minimum of $2500 on every M3 base sold. In reality the number is higher due to the cost of building the different interior.

Let's say they sold 20,000 of them in 2019. That's a loss of $50,000,000.

It's hilarious to me that people are worried about the "black eye" Tesla will take by doing this.... are you kidding me? The press already hates Tesla and spins every single thing negative anyway.

Do we know the SR+ is being sold at break even? Actually asking, since I haven't been keeping up.

The chance of the Senate passing, or Trump signing, any kind of EV credit extension is virtually zero. They should just end the whole thing at the end of this year. That would level the playing field and Trump would sign it.

What am I missing or a better yet what is my referral going to be missing by getting a SR tomorrow? Are they only missing the seat heaters for $2,500? Was there any other difference besides max range?

SR+ $39,500, 240 miles, seat heaters (216 miles at 90% charge)
SR, $37,000?, 220 miles, no seat heaters? (220 miles at 100% software limited)

Reactions: xanatos and RBowen
An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup

Lots of changes. AGAIN. Autopilot now standard. Standard and LR now off menu. Standard is now a software limited plus.

If we turn the reality distortion field off for a sec, I'd say the conversation before the announcement went like this:

1. Boss, we still have a demand problem, let's lower the prices.
2. A lot of people at the lower end don't see enough benefit in the autopilot software. Eff it, we need a differentiator and a way to raise the price back a bit, so let's bundle it.
3. Boss, that SR thing you told us to advertise, despite not existing, we'll take that off the menu since it's time we delivered some and we still don't have any.
4. Are we done clearing the 2018 long range duds? Yeah? OK, take it off the menu then!
5. Boss, how about leasing? No bank would give us a decent residual. Eff it, guys, we're taking them back for ride hailing ... who knows, don't care, just get them out the door already!

Even the most bullet-proof of businesses must occasionally have this type of conversation, in do-or-die market conditions. The difference is they're having that conversation in private, with their channel partners, dealership principals etc., not with the buying public.

I don't know what y'all think of it but, in my opinion, to anybody other than the most hardcore groupies this looks both unprofessional and desperate.