Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Model 3 unveil invites coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, Darryl, not that you need any more piling on (though maybe you do)....just because you repeat it 100 times doesn't make it true. Your post was sensible up until that point about only conceptual drawings being revealed (who in their right mind would fly to the reveal for that?).

While the reason Tesla gave on prioritizing current owners is to say thank you, I suspect the real reason is that they would prefer early production cars go to people who are familiar with Tesla and EVs to help them work out the bugs/defects. I suggested awhile ago that Tesla should first sell discounted cars to employees for the same reason.

While the reason Tesla gave on prioritizing current owners is to say thank you, I suspect the real reason is that they would prefer early production cars go to people who are familiar with Tesla and EVs to help them work out the bugs/defects. I suggested awhile ago that Tesla should first sell discounted cars to employees for the same reason.
They don't tend to discount, but at the very least let the employee make the car as minimal options or feature rich as they can afford and kick them out first. It is not just the right thing to do for those unable to afford anything else who have been with the company for years. It makes business sense as they are the least likely to complain about any teething issues.

Hey Darryl, on the 31st I'll be like:

image.jpeg

I would NOT feel the same way. I would then say that most people would have had an equal opportunity and the early adopters would then be those who have truly believed in Tesla's mission from the start. Not to say those who have the money to buy the S aren't true believers, but rather that the majority of those who will camp out for the Model III have waited years for this and are being penalized because they couldn't afford a $100 000 car. That's the only issue I have.

Sorry, life isn't fair.. you don't get perks because you think you deserve them. What skin do you have in the game? I'm in the same situation as you are, yet I see this as a completely valid action by Tesla. The early adopters took a huge risk when buying their first Tesla.. And without them, the company wouldn't exist. What makes you such a special snowflake exactly? What have you done for Tesla lately? Sorry for the snarkiness but this sounds like such a petty complaint and a total first world problem (AKA non-issue).

Sorry, life isn't fair.. you don't get perks because you think you deserve them. What skin do you have in the game? I'm in the same situation as you are, yet I see this as a completely valid action by Tesla. The early adopters took a huge risk when buying their first Tesla.. And without them, the company wouldn't exist. What makes you such a special snowflake exactly? What have you done for Tesla lately? Sorry for the snarkiness but this sounds like such a petty complaint and a total first world problem (AKA non-issue).

I think people are understandably upset, especially since we are talking about potentially $7500 on the line for the tax credit. For folks who were counting on that $$ to be able to afford the car, this whole process is going to be very stressful.

And how much skin do you have to have in the game to be legit? I am not an owner, but I am a stockholder. So I do have skin in the game even if I chose not to purchase an expensive depreciating asset and instead invested in the company to produce a vehicle in a price range I was more comfortable with.

Personally, I am not that upset by this turn of events - it was expected based on the Model S and X roll-outs. But I still feel for folks who have been waiting a long time for the affordable Tesla.

Just curious - are those who are focused on the 7500 tax credit sure they have enough tax liability to claim the full amount? It is possible that for many, that is not the case - and the amount they actually can claim will be whatever amount is left once the credit starts to step down.

Glass half full. :)

Just curious - are those who are focused on the 7500 tax credit sure they have enough tax liability to claim the full amount? It is possible that for many, that is not the case - and the amount they actually can claim will be whatever amount is left once the credit starts to step down.

This has already been beaten to the ground. Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but you don't have to make <I>that</I> much in order to have $7500 in tax liability. I've honestly only seen one or two people on this forum who have said that they wouldn't be able to qualify for the full credit.

I do have enough to take the tax credit (I already have taken one on my Volt). I actually have enough tax liability to buy three or four EVs in one year and get the full credit on all of them, but I don't like to think about those numbers and how much I pay to the IRS each year. :(

But it is true that more people in the Model 3 demographic will need to take a close look at the credit before using it to make their purchase decision. If you aren't eligible for a tax credit, leasing can be a good way to still save assuming you can stick within the mileage limits.

I think people are understandably upset, especially since we are talking about potentially $7500 on the line for the tax credit. For folks who were counting on that $$ to be able to afford the car, this whole process is going to be very stressful.

And how much skin do you have to have in the game to be legit? I am not an owner, but I am a stockholder. So I do have skin in the game even if I chose not to purchase an expensive depreciating asset and instead invested in the company to produce a vehicle in a price range I was more comfortable with.

Personally, I am not that upset by this turn of events - it was expected based on the Model S and X roll-outs. But I still feel for folks who have been waiting a long time for the affordable Tesla.

I absolutely empathize with those concerned about the tax credits as I'll be in the same situation. But it isn't exactly Tesla's intentions to leave the 'poor' out in the cold. We still are talking about a luxury item here, let's just say that if you're eligible for the full $10k credit, you aren't out there starving in the streets. I agree that shareholders do have some skin in the game, and it would be a nice gesture to have them next in line, but this will just complicate things and we would never hear the end of it from people saying 'insiders' get all the perks while us 'po folk' have to go on a bit longer with our perfectly serviceable Honda.

Personally, I am not expecting I will take delivery in time to get the full credit. Decisions will have to be made closer to production - but my plan was NOT to order a P version, or the biggest battery (based on pure speculation on my part regarding range ) so I would have fallen back in the line behind non-owners who chose those things, if what Elon said holds true.

So decisions on adding options to get the credit (in effect, free options?) will have to be made once we have a realistic idea on the actual time the 200k will be reached.

http://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

From Jalopnik this morning.

The line "(And of course, to take a quick spin in what we’ve been working on.)" has me all sorts of excited, because this implies a working prototype.

Is this the first model where Elon finally underpromises/overdelivers?

Ha...I saw that - and was just reading this:
Tesla Model 3 unveiling event will feature functional prototypes, not pictures

A heads up on the income needed for the full tax credit (that is, to get at least $7500 in tax liability), at least for 2016 numbers. This is the income reported on W-2 after pre-tax deductions like 401k contributions are taken out, along with other income like interest and dividends.

Single, not a dependent, no kids, no adjustments or itemized deductions: $57,250.
Married, no kids, no adjustments or itemized deductions: $77,000.

Add $4,050 for each dependent you have, and $X-$6300 or $X-$12,600 if married if you have $X in itemized (Sched A) deductions. Subtract any adjustments straight out (Trad IRA contributions, student loan interest deduction, tuition expenses, etc).

A heads up on the income needed for the full tax credit (that is, to get at least $7500 in tax liability), at least for 2016 numbers. This is the income reported on W-2 after pre-tax deductions like 401k contributions are taken out, along with other income like interest and dividends.

Single, not a dependent, no kids, no adjustments or itemized deductions: $57,250.
Married, no kids, no adjustments or itemized deductions: $77,000.

Add $4,050 for each dependent you have, and $X-$6300 or $X-$12,600 if married if you have $X in itemized (Sched A) deductions. Subtract any adjustments straight out (Trad IRA contributions, student loan interest deduction, tuition expenses, etc).

Having just done our taxes a few weeks ago, we're definitely clear of those thresholds, aka, we're letting the government sit on a nice chunk of change interest-free all year. :(

Personally, I am not expecting I will take delivery in time to get the full credit. Decisions will have to be made closer to production - but my plan was NOT to order a P version, or the biggest battery (based on pure speculation on my part regarding range ) so I would have fallen back in the line behind non-owners who chose those things, if what Elon said holds true.

So decisions on adding options to get the credit (in effect, free options?) will have to be made once we have a realistic idea on the actual time the 200k will be reached.

This. This. This. Couldn't have said it any better. This isn't a matter of feeling entitled or whatnot. This is potentially missing out on a tangible $7500 tax credit. I'd expect one to be upset about missing out on that regardless of how much they make. As you said, that $7500 credit might directly affect the options that a person might select for their Model 3, which would in turn affect when they get their car, WHICH in turn could affect whether or not they receive the full tax credit or not. So anxiety about the entire thing should be expected if you fall within this circle.

Also, this is a Tesla unique issue, since right now they are the only high-end EV on the market. So I would hope that they are completely open about exactly what to expect regarding reservations, deliveries, and the EV tax credit as it affects their buyers.

Having just done our taxes a few weeks ago, we're definitely clear of those thresholds, aka, we're letting the government sit on a nice chunk of change interest-free all year. :(

Based on that, it implies you got $7500 back. But note what you get back or what you owe (after withholding is applied) doesn't affect the tax credit at all. If you have a tax liability of $7500 from that income, then you'll get the credit. If you withheld properly (in other words, would have gotten a small amount back or owed a small amount) then you'll get a $7500 refund. If you withheld too much and would normally get say $8,000 back, now you'll get $15,500 back.

But you're not giving the government an interest free loan if you just happen to have $7500+ in tax liability but paid withholding during the year, as we all owe taxes as we earn them, not on April 15th. That deadline is just for us to 'settle up' the difference in our tax liability and what we paid (through withholding or estimated quarterly payments).