Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Off-Peak Charging confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I understand how to schedule conditioning, and how to schedule charging to depart by a certain hour. It is also very clear when off-peak hours end (8am here in NY).

However, how do I schedule departure charging and tell the car when off-peak STARTS? NY has a program where if I charge only between 12am - 8am when I'm in my home area, I get a kickback of $0.10/kWh, which adds up.

So I want to be able to plug in my MY when I get home, and then have the scheduled departure for 7:45am on weekdays, but I want to make sure that no charging starts before 12am.

FYI, I'm using the Tesla Wall Connector @ 48A.

Any ideas?

The way it is for my model S the off peak charging option makes it weird. I have it set to start charging after 12 am. I don’t have it set to turn off at 8 but the car is always full after 3-4 hours anyways. Just have it scheduled to charge after 12 am and it will never start charging before unless you force it to crom the app. Has been working great for us.

The way it is for my model S the off peak charging option makes it weird. I have it set to start charging after 12 am. I don’t have it set to turn off at 8 but the car is always full after 3-4 hours anyways. Just have it scheduled to charge after 12 am and it will never start charging before unless you force it to crom the app. Has been working great for us.
So far I've been using scheduled departure time and I have to say the app doesn't schedule properly. Does it work better with the start charging option?

But that is exactly what I can't do. I've been doing that previously and it worked fine, but it is now 10-20 deg F outside, so I need to pre-warm the car for departure at 7:45am, but I'm always back before midnight and want to plug in, in case I want to warm the car for another trip.

That is the root of my question.

So I understand how to schedule conditioning, and how to schedule charging to depart by a certain hour. It is also very clear when off-peak hours end (8am here in NY).

However, how do I schedule departure charging and tell the car when off-peak STARTS? NY has a program where if I charge only between 12am - 8am when I'm in my home area, I get a kickback of $0.10/kWh, which adds up.

So I want to be able to plug in my MY when I get home, and then have the scheduled departure for 7:45am on weekdays, but I want to make sure that no charging starts before 12am.

FYI, I'm using the Tesla Wall Connector @ 48A.

Any ideas?
I have done some experimentation with this. My observations are thus:

With scheduled departure and off-peak end-time entered, it determines the time estimate to charge your battery to the desired SoC you have set, and then begins charging to finish at the off-peak end time. I have seen this consistently on my MY.

For example, and I watched this just the last two nights actually, I had a battery sitting at ~23% SoC and my off-peak ends at 0600 here (starts at 2000). It started charging at 2200. Last night I had it plugged in at ~45% SoC and it didn’t start charging until after midnight.

I think to best meet your requirement for “No charging that starts before 12am” you would be best served by scheduling charging to start at 0000 as opposed to using scheduled departure. Just have to remember to pre-condition before you leave. There is a note in the manual that reads “If Model Y does not have enough time to complete charging during off-peak hours, it continues to charge until it reaches the target battery percentage”. Not sure how high your off-peak rates are but this might require some more hands on attention from you if you only want to charge from 0000-0800.

As far as the ‘official’ answer, the manual simply has a note that reads “If you set a departure time for charging and Model Y is not plugged in, charging is scheduled when you plug it in, provided you plug it in within six hours of the scheduled departure time….” I read that as it determines what time it needs to start based on SoC and scheduled off-peak end or departure time.

Reactions: Arthur31
You set up preconditioning in the climate section and the scheduled charge in the charging section.
The scheduled departure doesn’t do the off peak charging from what I know but scheduled charge works perfectly.

You set up preconditioning in the climate section and the scheduled charge in the charging section.
The scheduled departure doesn’t do the off peak charging from what I know but scheduled charge works perfectly.
To add to that - both are located together in the "Schedule" part of the app.

You can't control both ends of the charging timeline. You can either state when you want it to start, or when you want it to end. When you use the second, it will calculate (based on temp and SoC and how much need to charged) when it needs to start charging. With a 50A wall connector, for me it is always able to do the charging within the low cost time-of-use charging period from my provider.

To add to that - both are located together in the "Schedule" part of the app.

You can't control both ends of the charging timeline. You can either state when you want it to start, or when you want it to end. When you use the second, it will calculate (based on temp and SoC and how much need to charged) when it needs to start charging. With a 50A wall connector, for me it is always able to do the charging within the low cost time-of-use charging period from my provider.
I did it from the car itself. I am talking from model S with MCU 1, still waiting to pick up my model y lol. Have a video set up but it doesn’t let me post here. For me it starts charging at 12 and preconditions at 7:30.
A024B38D-5B63-48DB-9A90-0E3339DCC6ED.png
D1701218-45A3-4D90-9201-0691C1D89ACF.png