TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

More page jumping around

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by HankLloydRight, Oct 13, 2016.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

This has been a problem for a while, and I can't track down exactly what call is causing it.

But I'll click on a link to load a thread with an anchor tag in the URL, like this:

P75D Model S???

The page loads, and goes to the proper post. Great. I'll start reading and then scrolling down to read subsequent posts, but the page is still "loading"... when the page finally loads, there's some javascript somewhere that triggers it to pop back up to the anchored post.

Sometimes this will happen 3, 4 or 5 times -- the page jumps back up to the anchored post.

I think it has to do with images or thumbnails or maybe the social media icons loading separately, and as each one loads, the page pops back up to the original anchored post. This is really frustrating as I might have read down three of four posts by the time the page finishes loading, and each time, in the middle of reading a post, the page pops back up again. I also have all ad and content blockers turned off.

So is there some javascript callback function or something that is being called to re-anchor the page after each <something> loads?

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Happens a LOT to me

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Also, I tried digging into the code (from the browser side, obviously) and running Chrome loading timelines, but it's just too complex for me to really dig deep enough to pinpoint the problem.

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

#4 MorrisonHiker, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Yes. This happens to me all the time. I'll scroll to where I want to read and the page will focus elsewhere. I'll scroll back and it will jump back...again and again. :-(

I forgot to mention that this is when viewing on mobile devices. I can't recall having the problem when viewing on a desktop.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I have it happen in FireFox 45 on Windows 7.

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Chrome and Win 7 here. I'm pretty sure it also happen on Chrome on my Macbook also.

7. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

It happens a lot on Safari on my iPhone too. Very annoying