Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Power! (USB & accessory power that is)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been enjoying the convenience of having my MP3 collection on a flash drive and now with the release of v9 I also want to record the dash cam to another drive... and of course I would also like to fast charge my wife's and my phones in the dock.
So I added an extra pair of USB ports under the dock that are connected to a 4.8A charger from Blue Sea Systems. For the storage I'm using two super-compact SandDsk Ultra Fit drives; 256Gb for music and 32Gb for the cam'. As an added benefit, the new ports are always powered so phones or other devices can continue to charge when I'm not in the car.

TeslaUSB2.jpg

While I had the console apart and was running wires, I decided to also add some additional power ports in the panel where the stock cig' lighter socket is located. I use my Shaper Origin to cut out a mounting panel from a piece of 3/16" thick black Sintra and installed a 4.8A USB charger and a couple of Anderson Power Pole ports (handy for powering a Ham radio, 12V compressor, or small inverter).

TeslaUSB3.jpg

TeslaUSB4.jpg

TeslaUSB7.jpg

TeslaUSB6.jpg

TeslaUSB5.jpg

Rather than tap into the existing low-current 12V wiring in the console, I chose to add a fuse block & bus-bar and I ran a dedicated wire (pair) for each of the USB chargers and the Power Poles. I connected to the 12V at the battery terminal under the rear seat. If necessary, the fuses can be quickly & easily accessed by just removing the seat's side bolster.

TeslaUSB8.jpg

TeslaUSB9.jpg

And while I was having fun running wires, I also installed a switched power panel in the trunk with a cig' socket, USB, and Power Poles.

TeslaUSB10.jpg

Cheers,
-Mark

I've been enjoying the convenience of having my MP3 collection on a flash drive and now with the release of v9 I also want to record the dash cam to another drive... and of course I would also like to fast charge my wife's and my phones in the dock.
So I added an extra pair of USB ports under the dock that are connected to a 4.8A charger from Blue Sea Systems.
Do you make house calls? ;) No wait, I’ll come to you...

Nice work!

Reactions: fyresoul