Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More price drops coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is surprising to me is that industry experts ares saying previously that Tesla makes a net profit of arround 10k per car (more than of any car manufacturer) , however, as we have seen, Tesla has lowered the price on average close to 10k, but yet Tesla is still making profit. Something doesn't add up. I think Teslas margin were actually higher than 10k.
I'm under the impression that Tesla's margin is around 30%, so for MYLR it still has 10% margin after the price cut.

Reactions: Yelobird
Yeah no buyers at the $56k price point - data proves it out, you might be in denial. I think Q1 they will do well with low cost buyers who want to take advantage of the tax credit but few takers above that.
It should be obvious to everybody that as Tesla scales production, the extra production will be towards less affluent buyers. As for a $56k Model Y, that is poor value, caught by the EV credit. Period. It says practically nothing about Tesla or demand or whatever. I imagine the weekend track crowd are sorely tempted by the Model 3P, now priced at $53k and eligible for the EV credit.

I don't know if it is possible, but a fascinating move by Tesla would be to sell a Model S/X for $79,999 with EV credit. That might just turn the upper-middle class big SUV crowd on its head.

Last edited:
Purchased a Model Y Long Range rathar then a Performance due to tax credit.
What sucks is I purchased induction wheels and thinking about purchasing the boost. (this will put pricing with the performance but I'll be missing a faster performaning car, better brakes, wing, matrix headlights and sports suspension? ughh

Reactions: ElectricIAC
My point is that they have to drop the price even further than $56k to get people to buy their outstanding inventory. Not everyone wants the 3rd row.

Yes there is a chance that they'll drop the price past 3/1. I believe they did that in 2019, but NOT for my $35K SR. The key then was to get the minimum options/qualifier.

I need the 3rd row for family otherwise I would have bought another 3. Still trying to justify paying ~$20K more than 3 but I don't really see any better EV or PHEV SUV options at ~$50K price point. Any recommendations?

Purchased a Model Y Long Range rathar then a Performance due to tax credit.
What sucks is I purchased induction wheels and thinking about purchasing the boost. (this will put pricing with the performance but I'll be missing a faster performaning car, better brakes, wing, matrix headlights and sports suspension? ughh

cancel and rebuy for $250. No biggie

Tesla pulled all its high disposable income demand into December with its "promotions." They literally called everyone up and did whatever they could to get people to take delivery before Dec 31. There is no one left to jump on the extra $5k of price cut they're offering vs. December. Also, most people are only willing to get tricked once and aren't stupid enough to do it again so soon. Everyone buying is now focused on trying to get a bargain through the tax credit. They might get a few Ford mach-E switchers but most other high disposable income buyers aren't going to forgo buying a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche cars for a Tesla just because it's cheaper.

Here's a good question for you - as someone who seems to defend everything this company does, are you buying another Tesla at this current price? If not, why not
What they might get are the ones looking at the Rav4 Prime or Lexus NX350s. This puts the Y into around the same price range after taxes. It's in Tesla's favor as there is barely stock for the Rav4s and most dealerships are still adding market adjustments of $1000-8000 to the MSRP which makes those cars even more overpriced.

I know you're joking but did you know that Tesla can only operate sales in under 2/3 rds of the US states? They are literally banned or not allowed to operate in the rest.
Yes I'm familiar with legacy dealer laws. So much for free market capitalism.

But I thought that TX is making exceptions for them given:

Tesla has clearly taken a liking to Texas. The company has moved its headquarters from California to Austin, where it has also built a massive Gigafactory. Tesla is also working towards building a lithium refinery plant just outside of Corpus Christi. It has already published job postings for the refinery.

Tesla has also leased an eastern San Antonio warehouse with 440,000 square feet of space used to store manufacturing components for use at Giga Texas.

Yes I'm familiar with legacy dealer laws. So much for free market capitalism.

But I thought that TX is making exceptions for them given:

Tesla has clearly taken a liking to Texas. The company has moved its headquarters from California to Austin, where it has also built a massive Gigafactory. Tesla is also working towards building a lithium refinery plant just outside of Corpus Christi. It has already published job postings for the refinery.

Tesla has also leased an eastern San Antonio warehouse with 440,000 square feet of space used to store manufacturing components for use at Giga Texas.
They said they were going to fast track a rule change but oh look, they never got around to it.

What they might get are the ones looking at the Rav4 Prime or Lexus NX350s. This puts the Y into around the same price range after taxes. It's in Tesla's favor as there is barely stock for the Rav4s and most dealerships are still adding market adjustments of $1000-8000 to the MSRP which makes those cars even more overpriced.

Exactly my experience with Toyota dealers. They don't even want to talk about selling Prime since we're not a CAARB state.

Status
Not open for further replies.