Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Price increases…..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah - but to go up $15k over refresh pricing? That is called taking advantage of the supply constraints. No other car manufacturer is doing that. Will end up biting Tesla eventually. Great for owners who got in on refresh pricing though. If Tesla keeps raising pricing like this, then people with stick with ICE cars. EV cars are not worth it at this price, unless you are buying for other reasons than EV.
An average used car price in the USA went up 21% in 2021. Prices of desirable used cars are as much as 40% higher. You shouldn't be surprised new cars are also going up, evidently people are willing to spend more money on cars this year. As for whether it will bite Tesla, neh, they just adjust prices based on demand. Ordering a Tesla in USA the farthest delivery date on M3 is 11 months already. Customers are not happy waiting this long, and such a long wait list is not good for Tesla either as far as planning, because chances are those people will find something else in 11 months (few months ago while looking for a Taycan, I came across one dealership which didn't even care to take my information for a wait list because their wait lists were so very long, they told me to check back with them next year if I'm still in the market). Upping the price will cool off some demand. If demand drops too far, Tesla will lower the prices to create just enough demand to fill the order pipeline. That is how a free market works.

Reactions: AMPd
The question becomes how much of the price increases are "legit" (based on increased costs) and how much are additional profit grabs to take advantage of current environment. If a company's overhead is up 8% they may try to test the waters to see if they can get away with 12% price increases because consumers are expecting higher prices thanks to all of the chatter about higher inflation, higher prices, supply chain issues, etc.
Prices are based on demand vs. supply, set an an optimum point for maximum profit. Only floor price is based on actual cost to produce. That's also why companies have tiered products, with higher percentage profit on the high end, more desirable models.

To those that traded in towards their new S as prices increased, did your trade-in value rise as well?

If so, would you mind sharing by how much and details such as year, type, mileage?

In my case, 2017 100D. White, FSD, FUSC, no accidents, haven't upgraded MCU or AP yet, out of warranty - battery warranty only.

Tesla offer Oct 2021 23k miles $59K
Tesla offer Feb 2021 17K miles $50K
Carvana offer Feb 2021 17K miles $48K
if it helps (may not): had a 2017 90D that I sold this summer in July. Offer from Tesla was high 40's, Carvana and Zoom were mid 50's or so. (I did have FSD and low miles, 13k). Sold to a private seller via ebay for $63k in 4 days. (FSD transferred to new buyer). 63k was about dead middle of KBB Private Sale valuation. I checked that same valuation yesterday, and now price is about $3-4k higher than the $63k

if it helps (may not): had a 2017 90D that I sold this summer in July. Offer from Tesla was high 40's, Carvana and Zoom were mid 50's or so. (I did have FSD and low miles, 13k). Sold to a private seller via ebay for $63k in 4 days. (FSD transferred to new buyer). 63k was about dead middle of KBB Private Sale valuation. I checked that same valuation yesterday, and now price is about $3-4k higher than the $63k
I hope you know that eBay charges more than 20%. So, you could have made more for selling it to either Carvana or Vroom.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
I hope you know that eBay charges more than 20%. So, you could have made more for selling it to either Carvana or Vroom.
Nate is 100% correct. As a low volume seller eBay could charge you 20% to sell your car… but only if your car sells for $395, because listing fees for low volume sellers with all the options are a flat $79.

I suppose if you’re very cheap you could get by with the $19 basic package. But eBay would STILL charge you 20%… assuming, of course, your car sells for $95.

Reactions: nate704