Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More "real" miles if you allow pack to balance in std. mode then do range chg?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing a range charge today. I first charged to std. mode, allowed the pack to fully balance, then switched into range mode.

This brought up a curiosity of mine. I don't do range charges much, but possibly if someone does they can try this experiment.

a) Charge fully from when down to 100-120 std miles in std., mode allow pack to balance. Once fully balanced, continue on to your range mode charge. Record your Ideal range mode miles at the end of charge. Try to keep track the amount of miles covered "real" vs. the "ideal".

b) Charge when down to 100-120 std miles in range mode. Record your Ideal range mode miles at the end of charge. Try to keep track the amount of miles covered "real" vs. the "ideal".

I'm curious if balancing (a) will allow the pack to balance and then hold more of a charge. My guess is that (b) at the end of a range mode charge will show a higher ideal miles since the pack was balanced at 85% SOC before reaching the end of the charge. Possibly both (a) and (b) will yield the same range. I don't know, but interested and thing others are curious too.