Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More regen? I seem to be getting less...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't qualify the statement with any mention of temps. It just said more regen, and I am getting less now.

I was driving when it was 54 degrees out, but temps got as low as 40 degrees overnight while the car was parked in my driveway.
I am used to other EVs where regen typically isn't limited unless temps get below freezing.
View attachment 353234

I do expect some regen limitation at really cold temps, but this didn't seem cold enough to me to limit it so much.
Now in the afternoon with ambient temps at 60 degree, I am no longer seeing any dots and regen is back to normal/full again.
I didn't do much driving, the car just sat for the past couple hours before I headed off to lunch.

That does not appear to be the case. It is acting "normal" after just sitting in ~55-60 degrees for a few hours.

I wish I had more regen in the mornings. I didn't expect it to be this limited.

Your nice chart fits perfectly with why you saw so many dots by 10AM. It was near 40F for 6 hours. Battery isn't gonna heat up ambiently that quick from a 10F delta. Battery might have been 42F by 10AM. Also how warm was the battery when you parked it? How long ago was it parked?

It's a lot of mass, that doesn't move quickly. And takes a fair amount of energy to move it.

Even with Regen absent or reduced I'm still getting decent kwh/mi
When it was 60-70F I was getting 230-ish wh/mi now I'm getting 250-260 wh/mi (still very good).

This is on a Performance with 18" Aero's. I just put snows on, so I expect it will drop a little from that too.

Last edited:
I definitely noticed the increase in regen for this firmware. I used to almost always just lift up the accelerator and hope that I would not need much friction brakes at stop lights... Now I frequently find myself stopping too early and modulating much more. Since I am in Southern California I can't speak to temperature based effects.

It'll use the front sensor to determine how much to slow down, up to the max regen strength. My i3 did the same thing. Of course, if you didn't anticipate far enough ahead the max regen won't be enough and you'll need to manually break.

Perhaps that's been your experience. My experience was completely the opposite. A firmware update significantly changed the driving characteristic. I used to be able to simply release the pedal at certain points in my daily commute and safely regen brake to stop signs. After the firmware update it is definitely not the case (with similar weather conditions).
That is definitely a software bug, not an intentional action by Tesla. No properly functioning Tesla is supposed to work like that. You need to get your car to a Tesla service center ASAP.

3 RWD 24k miles going on second winter.

Definitely notice increased regen from previous updates.

Very diligent about making sure my car is almost perfect in the morning being charged and warm. Yet not charged enough to induce regen from charging to high %.

Also while at work the car cools now as fall and winter have arrived. 40 and 50s. I do get the dots and reduced regen. A few more dots every day as it gets colder. This week even got a snowflake along with real ones on the ground. I feel proud:). The dots go away in the first couple miles of the drive home. Yet the regen feels like it was prior to the updates with a few dots. So all in all I can say it's there and improved.

Reasoning I mentioned this as it these issues coinciding with many people starting to see the cold or less warm weather I would say. Maybe mucking up the experience of what regen is or isnt or being able to figure out what normal is at correct temps.

Tesla changes things and tells us, but some I think they don't, as they prefer to not want to start insert subject_______gate.

This time they said specifically we are increasing regen for RWD cars in update notes. I am happy they did. Just wished they did it in July as it may have prevented some of the confusion of temps vs. we changed something don't you notice it....

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
Yeah, coincidental timing on me get v42 and temps dropping at the same time. I didn't have the car last winter, so this is the first time I started to see the regen limited dots.

So it sounds like I get the "increassed regen" release note just as my regen starts getting limited for other reasons.

Reactions: outdoors
I am used to other EVs where regen typically isn't limited unless temps get below freezing.
The Chevy Bolt starts to curb it above 0C, too. The wife says the paddle seems to override this. At least to some extent as she hadn't switched to verbose mode to get the actual number when the paddle was used. I haven't done extensive testing on it, though, as we don't see much sub-50F weather.

On the flip side the Chevy Bolt might be more aggressive about using battery energy to heat the pack. Not sure about this because the Model 3 doesn't break out the number like the Bolt does, but the Model 3 seems to be set up to use waste heat (even if it's probably got a way to artificially create "waste" heat) rather than direct elements in the pack like the Bolt's LG pack is set up with.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors