Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Roadsters than ever For Sale on Ebay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably people wanting M3 or S. Back in the day, a lot of people bought Roadsters just because they were the best EV option available, not because owning such a car was particularly suited to them in terms of interior space, features, etc. Increasingly, Roadsters are going to end up in the hands of people who specifically want an Elise-based EV convertible, rather than just a fast / long range EV. There were so few produced that in the end I imagine a lot of them will end up in people's "collections" - not frequently driven, but just because people want a piece of history that's pretty to boot, taken out for a joy ride every now and then.

Why do you think this is?
It's an incredibly niche market with an equally limited buyer pool. Some of the cars listed on eBay as well as Autotrader have been languishing there for months.
...I imagine a lot of them will end up in people's "collections" - not frequently driven, but just because people want a piece of history that's pretty to boot, taken out for a joy ride every now and then.
I (reluctantly) agree with this. The Roadster is indeed a piece of history; representing the marriage of woeful impracticality and entrepreneurial audacity. The Miura of EVs.
In about ten or fifteen years when my aging S and 3 are still depreciating with no bottom in sight, I will be jealous of all of the lucky people with appreciating Roadsters sitting in their garages.
Possibly... assuming we can find the parts to keep them running. Don't forget to factor in the eventual arrival of the new Roadster in a few years. Maximum Plaid...

--------------------

The potential Roadster buyer needs to be someone comfortable with the prospects of living with outdated technology, dwindling supply, and waning support. They mustn't be afraid to educate themselves on what's needed to keep these cars roadworthy. An innate predisposition toward discreet tinkering and judiciously experimentation with technology are also requisite. The ideal candidate will need to accept these realities and have a willingness to live with virtually zero storage space and oblique ergonomics for the privilege of piloting it. In return, they will be rewarded with a true driver's experience and the knowledge that they own not only the coolest (and only convertible top) EV on the market today but, more importantly, the most significant pathway vehicle that changed the automotive industry and, perhaps, the world for the better.

In about ten or fifteen years when my aging S and 3 are still depreciating with no bottom in sight, I will be jealous of all of the lucky people with appreciating Roadsters sitting in their garages.
I hope Roadsters start to appreciate in a decade. Whether they will or not is an open question.
The potential Roadster buyer needs to be someone comfortable with the prospects of living with outdated technology, dwindling supply, and waning support. They mustn't be afraid to educate themselves on what's needed to keep these cars roadworthy.
I agree.
An innate predisposition toward discreet tinkering and judiciously experimentation with technology are also requisite.
I'm not convinced that is a necessary requirement for a Roadster owner. "Tinkering" and "experimenting" with the Roadster drivetrain is, in my opinion, not a good idea unless you are an automotive engineer with EV expertise and even then it can lead to bad outcomes (example: Gruber Engineering).

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Fair point; particularly with respect to Gruber and similarly what happened to EMC. However, note the qualifying adjectives "discreet" and "judicious". Perhaps I should have phrased it as an "innate curiosity" instead. Regardless... sadly, once all the SC Roadster techs are gone, we'll need to rely on the likes of @gregd, @wiztecy, @markwj, @hcsharp, @spaceballs, @dhrivnak and other pioneers to steer us in the right direction so we don't electrocute ourselves while attempting to keep our cars on the road.

I think many Roadster owners are selling for a few reasons. I myself am waffling on getting rid of my Roadster for a new "D" Model 3 when they become available next year. I love my Roadster, but like most older "technology" items, it is starting to show its age. Although my car is still in perfect working condition, there are other owners that have had expensive PEM or battery failures which require a multi-thousand dollar investment to fix. Also, parts have become much harder to find and Tesla service is limited to the "one guy" in the LA area that still knows how to fix them. So... if anyone is interested in a great Electric Blue 2010 Roadster 2.0, let me know ;)

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I think the Roadsters are in transition to becoming more of a hobby car, even if driven daily. Arguably, perhaps, they always were. But even so, their role in history is not insignificant, and with every public mile driven they continue on their original mission of changing the world's conception of what an electric car can be. I appreciate mine every time I drive it.

Sometimes the Interwebs dish up some wistfully interesting intersections. I saw this thread just after reading this: The Loyal Engineers Steering NASA’s Voyager Probes Across the Universe

{sniff}

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I don't think it's true that this is the largest of Roadsters for sale on Ebay. There was a huge amount after the Model S came out. Tesla also sold a mountain of Roadsters through their CPO Roadster program.

I've seen Roadsters sit on the market for months while others are sold in a few days. I think now is a great time to buy a Roadster from a seller with realistic expectations. With the start of Model 3 production, Tesla has went from being a niche player to a major force in the automotive world. Tesla's very limited original car will very likely become highly valuable examples of automotive history. I can see the next generation Roadster as Tesla's halo car and Porsche 911 competitor. The original Tesla Roadster will always be the original Tesla and we know what happened with classic Porsche 911 values. I don't recommend buying cars purely as investments, but timing is important when selecting cars for you collection if you are a car lover like me.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I sold mine not too long ago mainly because I had it and a LEAF, and neither would go the distance I needed for work trips at my new job. I thought about swapping the LEAF for a cheap used Volt until the Model 3 arrived, but I got antsy and consolidated both the LEAF and the Roadster into a new Model S.

I'm sure if I had hung onto the Roadster for a few decades it would have appreciated nicely, but there's a lot of effort and risk involved in that as well. I just didn't see the potential return being worth it. I miss the uniqueness of the Roadster, but honestly that's about it.

And for the record, it sold in just a few weeks once I got serious about marketing it properly and pricing it aggressively (still sold it for $10k more than Tesla was offering on trade).