TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

More SCs announced including Trans-Canada a mare usque ad mare

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wayner, Sep 11, 2017.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

#1 wayner, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    This is in some of the threads but some might not spot it. Tesla now shows Superchargers on their map from coast to coast. There are five planned for NB and two for NS. There are also several more in Quebec including one in QC plus Three Rivers, etc.

There are Superchargers all along the TransCanada from Sudbury west to Calgary now - going through Regina. SK was a black hole and now it is supposed to get seven.

And more SCs in Southern Ontario as well.
    Strathroy
    Five more in Toronto - Annex, Liberty Village, Yonge-Eg, Etobicoke and Scarborough
    Kitchener
    Brockville (was that there before?)
    edit - Orillia

The only provinces left without SCs will be NL and PE.

Let's see when and if they get built.

• Like x 3
  2. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Interesting. I'll have to look at the map for the NS ones later.

3. wayner

wayner Active Member

They are listed as Halifax and Truro - don't spend too much time dwelling on the exact location as they normally just drop a pin where Google Maps puts the city/town name.

• Informative x 1
  4. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Some of the Northern Ontario pins have been there two years with no sign of any construction. So kudos for Tesla on recognizing that these sites are required. But I think we'll be waiting a number of years before we start to see them falling into place.

5. wayner

wayner Active Member

Yes - those sites would be North Bay and Sudbury - but presumably that was more to facilitate folks in those cities with Teslas or vacation travel for those of us in Southern Ontario. But this is a somewhat different strategy as they now plan to allow you to drive across the country. But let's see if this does actually come to fruition.

6. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

I wonder how many Model 3 reservations from Canada there are? If a lot, then could that may be influencing this big announcement?

• Like x 1
  7. wayner

wayner Active Member

If there is a lot then they need to get cracking with additional service centres as well. I know that Lawrence is always busy when I try to book something - imagine what that will look like when they start delivering M3s in a big way.

8. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

The Sudbury / NB SCs would be for cottagers; there's not a lot of benefit for locals of course. And that's great! I hope to see them. But so far... just dots on a map.

9. wayner

wayner Active Member

The folks in those parts call them "camps" rather than "cottages".

10. Jack007

Jack007 Member

So we still have to cut down to the states to go east, and unfortunately Montana and the northern us route has been pushed back to 2018...

11. rapoport3a

rapoport3a Member

An excellent announcement, but I'd say 3 or 4 years, certainly not 1; and that's if things continue to go well for Tesla. The oil and gas industry can still try to make sure they don't.

12. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

It's actually an April Fool's joke in September!

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Awesome!

Would be more credible if they actually executed on more than 10% of their 2017 plans.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Yes, but we instinctively make the translation when talking to southerners. :) It avoids the confused looks.

• Like x 1
  15. Phillip L

Phillip L Member

Arze youse fellers like whats they calls the degens from up north in Letterkenny?

• Funny x 1
  16. wayner

wayner Active Member

Its "degens from up country" or if you are referring to Quebec that would be someone from Laval.

17. kzod

kzod Member

#17 kzod, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    This isn't just Canada, they've announced tons of new Superchargers. We'll probably start seeing some built after the 'more important' US sites. But we need a ton more, especially more stalls at established sites. Kingston is the best break point when driving Toronto to Montreal, and 6 spots aren't going to do it. The last time I drove by for a quick look only one spot was available. It's going to get ugly when all of the Model 3's start showing up and people are waiting hours to complete a trip!

Also, you have to wonder how much parking will cost at some of these Superchargers in the city. The good news is that if they come up with a business model to make money off the superchargers, they will have an incentive to actually build enough to keep us happy long term.

18. wayner

wayner Active Member

If they actually build all of these SCs then Kingston will see less traffic as there are a lot more options - Pickering, Pt Hope, Belleville, Brockville, Cornwall. Travellers going either way can more easily skip Kingston if they can stop at one of the B'villes (Brock or Belle).

And I agree that it will be interesting to see how the SCs work in very urban locations. It may be a cheap place to park, especially if you are charging for free.

19. wayner

wayner Active Member

I just took a quick count of the Superchargers for Ontario on the map for 2017 and 2018. I count 18 Superchargers scheduled to be installed in 2017 and 22 Superchargers for 2018. It appears that North Bay has been moved from 2017 to 2018 but as far as I have noticed that is the only one that has been pushed back.

What's the over/under on how many are actually operating by Dec 31, 2017? I am going to guess 3.
    And for Dec 31, 2018?

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#20 Doug_G, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    How many Canadian Supercharger sites have been installed in 2017 as of right now?

By my count 4: Edmonton, Calgary, Merrit, Nanaimo. Plus Brossard and Saint-Romuald under are construction, that will make 6.

They're just approaching the 33% mark.