Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More SCs announced including Trans-Canada a mare usque ad mare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree they'll likely take longer than we all hope. Maybe I'll sell the Tesla and go with a Bolt or Leaf since GM and Nissan have their high powered network up and running everywhere. :rolleyes: Tesla needs to pick up their socks and build out fast. o_O

Seriously though I wonder how this will all tie into the Semi thing? Interesting to see how that'll work. Most charging stations I've been to don't have room for Semis to park. Perhaps installs at the ESSO Cardlocks or something?

• Funny
Reactions: hingisfan
I wonder if they will partner with Irving sites in NB and just across in ME? Heck, the ONLY thing in Baring ME (just across the border from St. Stephen beyond Calais) is the "Baileyville" Irving at the junction on 9 and 1. I think the dot on that one is off - gotta be that Irving Big Stop. Given Irving has just partnered with NB Power for the charging stations across the entire Transcanada in the Province, I'd wager this is what is going to happen.

I wonder if they will partner with Irving sites in NB and just across in ME? Heck, the ONLY thing in Baring ME (just across the border from St. Stephen beyond Calais) is the "Baileyville" Irving at the junction on 9 and 1. I think the dot on that one is off - gotta be that Irving Big Stop. Given Irving has just partnered with NB Power for the charging stations across the entire Transcanada in the Province, I'd wager this is what is going to happen.

I think it would work fine (install at the Big Stops), but I wonder, given that the Chademo charge stations are already there, if they have enough surplus power to add an 8 stall Supercharger?

Understood - but that's up to NB Power. to be honest, one Chademo is not a big deal - less than one Tesla stall in draw.

Right, but adding an 8 stall Supercharger is / might be a big deal. Who knows what the supply situations is at these places in NB. Many of them are basically in rural areas...lack of supply has quite possibly figurered into many of Ontario's En Route stops failing to have any DCFC.

Also, Irving might have to pay out of pocket for extra infrastructure equipment required for Supercharger installs.

The folks in those parts call them "camps" rather than "cottages".

Yes, but we instinctively make the translation when talking to southerners. :) It avoids the confused looks.

Thanks because to this westerner it would have meant something completely different to me if you said you need superchargers for the northern camps when you actually mean people going to their cottages, as we call them out here, even if most are vacation homes and not would one would consider a "cottage." To call them camps is news to me especially since I hear so much about "cottage country" in Ontario, and not "camps country."

We desperately need a Supercharger for Osoyoos in BC. It's a key summer destination and while you can get there from the Hope Supercharger, you can't make it back without L2 or chademo if your summer destination doesn't have a charger. I was at the Veranda Beach Resort, on the US side of Osoyoos lake a few weeks ago, and when I used the HPWC (one was being used by an X) it only put out 6 amps. So I used my J1772 adapter and got 32 amps. There were two HPWCs and two J1772s. It turned out that the owner of the X was in the group we were visiting. She said she had to leave and she doubted she could get back to Hope but it was taking ages to charge. So I went with her to the vehicles and she was also only drawing only 6 amps, like the other one. I then asked for her adapter, so we could plug her into the J1772, which she had no idea about, but we found it in the charging bag. She then drew 32 amps and was so thankful. While we were doing this, the manager of the complex came out and I explained the problem to him and he told me he would be calling the electrician about it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: doubeld

Also, Irving might have to pay out of pocket for extra infrastructure equipment required for Supercharger installs.

That could be a big problem. For the CHAdeMO installations, I believe Irving is offering the land, but NB Power and Ottawa are covering all the out of pocket expenses. Tesla now usually expects Supercharger hosts to chip in towards the construction or electricity costs and I have trouble seeing Irving do that. This is a company accustomed to taking handouts and avoiding paying its fair share.

Are the Irvings Canada's biggest corporate welfare bums?

Reactions: SmartElectric
What is the status of the Superchargers designated for Ottawa and Gatineau?

Anyone aware if there has been any construction at all? The Ottawa location is suppose to be done by the end of this year.
There were about 19 SCs in Ontario that were supposed to be done by the end of this year. As far as anyone knows the status is still planned but no visible work has been done. The only change that I am aware of is that the North Bay charger has been moved to 2018 - but I am guessing that will happen to a whole bunch of others as well. The announcements have been impressive but the execution has been pretty much non-existent.