Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More service layoffs. Sigh.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was informed today by the one person who was finally helping me with my service issues that he and everyone he had contact info for were let go today/yesterday.

He told me much more, but I won't post unless he gives me the ok.

Very curious if Tesla will follow through now on the plans for my car.

This is the very LAST thing Tesla should be doing... Service is the WORST it's ever been and laying off people here is beyond absurdly stupid...

I'm increasingly convinced that this company is run by complete morons...

Jeff
No kidding
I would much rather Tesla let go some of their autopilot team in exchange for service employees.

I had an appt. today, I actually had one last week setup, but when I arrived the SA said it would be better to come back. for this morning. When I got there at 7:24 PST, at the Palo Alto, CA there was literally not a SINGLE PERSON outside, and five cars lined up and two customers INSIDE just standing around waiting for someone to come around. Someone said a few minutes prior there was one person who went upstairs to try and find someone. Of course, my SA whom I had scheduled the appt with on their calendar wasn't there. One I found someone, I asked where my SA was and they said simply they were out on PTO.

Now, WHY would my SA schedule (three days ago) on their calendar a specific appt with me for today and then be out on PTO for a week? I have the feeling there were some layoffs. Unsure. In the end, didn't really need the appt. and moved along.

Still, I wonder and if it is a lot of people (more than 50 I believe) I think the WARN act/laws in CA or other places mean they have to officially make announcements if that is the case.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Frustrated Musk Shakes Up Autopilot Team

upload_2019-7-9_14-5-26.png

Reactions: AMPd

I was thinking about this last night. Tesla seems to be cutting back in a number of areas. The cutting back of service center people just as the fleet is growing by unprecedented numbers is one of them. Word also came out yesterday from an Elon Tweet that there is no facelift of the Model S/X in the works and they will just be incrementally rolling out changes.

I mostly develop Windows code now, but for most of my career since the late 80s I developed embedded software (code that runs on some device rather than a desktop or portable multi-purpose computer) and I still work with hardware a lot. I've been looking at the problem of self driving over the last few years and what has come out has been unsurprising. The systems from Tesla, GM, and others that are on the market are pretty good at the easier problems with self driving either working in a low speed, limited environment in an area known for good weather like Uber's test in Arizona and Google's in the Bay Area. Or they work in environments with a more limited set of problems like highways.

I think Tesla may be facing the fact that they can make a good self driving system that can work close to 99% of the time, but can't work the last 1% without human intervention. It may turn out to be impossible to do full self driving without a human watching on regular roads. It may be possible on a programmed route or a limited access highway, but not on regular city streets with pedestrians and cars driven by humans.

I think Tesla may be facing the fact that they can make a good self driving system that can work close to 99% of the time, but can't work the last 1% without human intervention. It may turn out to be impossible to do full self driving without a human watching on regular roads. It may be possible on a programmed route or a limited access highway, but not on regular city streets with pedestrians and cars driven by humans.

I completely agree with this. It's that last 1% they'll never attain. And you can't have full autonomy without that 1% (or .999999%).

I'll settle for something that helps me 99.99% of the time, frankly. I'm not going to read the papers while driving anytime soon, and I'm not going to use my Model 3 as a taxi either.

I agree, that something that helps you drive 99.99% of the time would be a fantastic accomplishment.

Unfortunately, a robo-taxi requires 100%, and Elon Musk is betting the entire company's future on this unrealistic vision, which according to him, is just a few years away.

Elon Musk's not "betting the company" on it. There's a difference between a vision of where you want to go and operational plans to keep the company afloat and growing at a healthy pace.

Granted, if you're investing now in Tesla shares with the expectation they'll be worth $4000 by the end of the year you might be sorely disappointed.

• Love
He also said in the same presentation that he's really bad at giving accurate timelines. If that's not a hint you should take things with a pinch of salt...

That's a vision. "Betting the company" on something is quite different. He did bet the company on Model S, on Model 3 and is going to be betting it on Model Y and probably also newer battery tech. "Betting the company" means: if it doesn't pan out the company is toast.

I don't think that having FSD software that is not 100% autonomous at level 5 certification belongs in that set. If they *do* get there the rewards are indeed quite large, but otherwise Tesla can still be "just" a car and energy/battery product manufacturer just fine.

Last edited:
  • Love
I just had a very strange visit to my local Tesla Store. Or what used to be my local Tesla Store. I arrived unannounced to see a new production Model 3, look it over, and see if the niggling early issues (paint, glass, seals, etc) are now being dealt with at Fremont. And if they were, find out what I needed to do to order a RWD Long Range (can't do that online, as all of you know).
I should have called ahead.
The place was empty, the service bays (full of cars) was silent. And there was just one lonely (fairly new) service guy at a desk. All the cars, all the merch and most of the wall displays, gone. All the sales people, gone. Some of the service people, they were gone, too. Two people were wandering around in front, looking at parked and/or charging Teslas.
"What happened?" I asked the Lonely Service Guy.
"They closed sales," he said. "The nearest one is in San Jose (1 1/2 hours away)."
"What about service?"
He perked up. "We still do that."
"Where is everybody, then?"
He smiled. "Can I help you with something?"
I had a nice (and uninterrupted) conversation with him. Service issues have declined. Parts availability is still a serious bottleneck. But it felt very Twilight Zone-y. The building was there. But the energy and most of the people (including the swarms of customers who used to walk in) were gone.
Now, a Bull would say, "They're migrating sales online and Tesla cars just don't require much in the way of service."
A Bear would say, "Umm, what about all those long waits for service I keep hearing about?
A Short would say, "Tesla is doomed!"
I'm still not so sure what I make of it. But it did not make me want to order a RWD Long Range today.
Robin
Lonely Maytag Repairman.jpg