Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Tesla Model X Fails, videos and pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a video of another in a long line of problems I have had with my Model X. I had owned my Model X for 6 months without any big problem with the FWDs. Then I had my family over to go to my daughter's winter performance and was showing off how we were going to fit everyone in the car super easy. Of course, I should never have tried to show off the super cool feature of the Model X because of course the door failed on me. I had to go in through the other FWD, move my baby daughter's car seat base to the other chair in the middle row, and then move the chair forward so I could show the neat way of getting into the back row.

I can't imagine what a nightmare those FW doors are going to be like after the warranty expires.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
Is it true that the FWD's used to have a sensor on the inside of the door that stopped it from hitting people standing underneath the door - but an OTA 'update' purposefully killed its operation, because it was causing too much warranty work? I'd just heard this a week or so ago, and didn't know about the veracity of that statement.

Is it true that the FWD's used to have a sensor on the inside of the door that stopped it from hitting people standing underneath the door - but an OTA 'update' purposefully killed its operation, because it was causing too much warranty work? I'd just heard this a week or so ago, and didn't know about the veracity of that statement.

How does someone stand underneath the door?

There wasn't ever an ultrasonic sensor under the door. They were always resistance sensors, like on the liftgate. They dialed back the sensitivity on those sensors because the doors would falsely stop without any obstruction. I know they didn't disable them because I have stopped the doors multiple times with my hand. It takes a little force, but nothing scary.

That's pointed to outside the car to detect cars or other obstacles nearby.
My mistake, I misread Ohmmans post, I thought he was referring to "under the door" literally under the sheet metal but understand now it was a sensor under the door to stop it from smacking people.

I think they modified the pinch sensors as well because the new sensors don't seem to be as sensitive as the early MX.

My mistake, I misread Ohmmans post, I thought he was referring to "under the door" literally under the sheet metal but understand now it was a sensor under the door to stop it from smacking people.

I think they modified the pinch sensors as well because the new sensors don't seem to be as sensitive as the early MX.
Does that mean they'll pinch even harder?
If so - what would happen on the overhead part of the door - where pinch leverage would necessarily be exponentially greater?

Today I filed my paper claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement. I will keep anyone interested informed on the process that follows.

Good luck! Keep us posted. I love Tesla but there should be NO argument that you should have a perfect vehicle and one that is free of any/all defects. No excuse for any NEW car not to be perfect let alone a $100,000+ one.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
And just for good measure, here is a picture of my Tesla Model X randomly reporting low brake fluid. Tesla replaced the sensor, I got the vehicle home, and the screen reported low brake fluid again.

Tesla Model X Brake fluid.jpeg