Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Tesla Nav gripes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a drive home last Saturday I noticed it was announcing on 2 consecutive roundabouts take the 1st exit yet the map route showed it was the 2nd exit on both I needed, I know this route and the 2nd exit is correct. If I’d been somewhere new I’d probably have listened to the instruction rather than glimpsing at the screen.
It's always been annoying in this respect since I collected my car in December 19. The map is correct, the voice is not.

Possibly the nav display autozooms when it is set to keep the map in driving direction. It does not auto-zoom when set to north-up. I have not tested this thoroughly though.

Another point is that with driving-up you can zoom manually, with two fingers, but the map will return to auto-zoom after a couple of seconds.

For me this makes good sense. Tesla is definitely trying to keep it simple, which I appreciate.

It does. It’s annoying as I prefer north up, but i need the auto zoom as otherwise you get a stupid zoomed in view while travelling miles along the motorway and can’t see anything around you

Makes no sense either - have that in all views or add it as an option in the settings

The navigation is terrible? Everyone on here seems to suggest it is based on Google Maps... but it clearly missed routes that are available when you ask google so something is very wrong with it.

In Glasgow (where I'm based) it can't spot that the M74 and M77 are connected - it ends up taking you round to the M8 as it can't tell. As this is basic motorway navigation how can you rely on side roads. I've spotted other connections it misses as well.

You can check connections on Google Maps and there is no issue with them so I'm at a complete loss why the Tesla navigation does not work.

Basically, I've had to stop relying on it completely as it's so broken.

Is there any method to report these problems?

Road info is from Google but the routing engine is from someone else and isn't as good as Google, or others. I end up using my phone for navigation most of the time because of this.
That's what I don't understand - I've checked the Google Maps and the connections definitely exist - even when driving the road Tesla can't see the connection at all - it literally only realises once you are on the other road.

So it looks like they have failed to take all the appropriate road connections.

It's totally frustrating as it is so basic that you should be allowed to report the fault in some way.

I think there is something seriously up with navigation routing at the moment, even more serious than the barmy routing that it occasionally chose a year or so ago.

I have had 2 instances recently where the car has routed us down long sections of 6'6 with passing places roads when trying to get from one major road, to another.

One was M4 (closed after next junction) to M3, took us through Highclere/Kingsclere - we eventually picked up a major A road that looks to have been the correct route and no evidence of traffic issues on that route - we have 'live' traffic visualisations available.
1666705549137.png

Another was M20 to what I though was going to be Sevenoaks just of A25. Well it was, but not quite where and how I was expecting. A25 would have been the correct route - again, no evidence of traffic issues on that road.
1666705711904.png

These aren't shortcuts, there are long stretches where there are multiple main roads (in above, mostly 'A' roads) as alternatives.

My thought is that the Tesla servers are treating the 6'6 with passing place roads as 60mph roads, which they technically are, and choosing them as viable alternatives to more significant ('A') roads, even though on numerous occasions, passing places and squeaky bum time/potential divorce was the order of the day.

Certainly, lost trust in any following of sat nav directions, especially when travelling when you need sat nav the most - when you don't know where you are and how to get to where you are going. It never use to be like this. Routing was always pretty good. I suspect some tinkering going on in the Tesla servers.

It sees NSL roads as 60mph and used them a priority, even if a better 40-50mph A road is available.

Round here it even tries to route me off the main road onto a farm track then back on a few yards down the road because is sees it as a 'faster' shortcut. It's done this since 2019, so it's not really a new thing.

Mostly I follow road signs over the satnav, as it's not beyond taking you on a mystery countryside tour if you're not watching carefully.

Reactions: MrBadger