Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Tesla Nav gripes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JonB

Oct 31, 2021
UK
Dagnammit!

Driving down unfamiliar routes and relying on TeslaNav, as you do, I noticed something really annoying. On the approach to a roundabout, suddenly there is a label on the map in blue, that covers the roundabout so that you cannot easily see which exit you need to take. It seems to have the road name on it or something. Not useful information. The ability to read the map as you approach a roundabout is important, especially when the spoken exit number cannot be relied on. So why on earth have they messed it up so badly?

The other thing I noticed is it does not always zoom into the junction / roundabout as you approach, which makes the label even more effective at hiding the critical information.

Yes I'm very very cross. It's dangerous trying to squint at a roundabout on the screen as you approach and/or are on the roundabout, verifying the correct exit. It's been said before that Tesla are using developers with no experience of driving.. here's yet more evidence of this.

Reactions: Mik3LR and candida
The route summary in the top right (of the main map), shows the junctions and roundabouts coming up with exits, and that is overlaid on the map all the time (it can be collapsed smaller as well). So not sure why you cannot see this easily, perhaps a photo of what you see would help? Mine is no issue.

Reactions: JupiterMan
The route summary in the top right (of the main map), shows the junctions and roundabouts coming up with exits, and that is overlaid on the map all the time (it can be collapsed smaller as well). So not sure why you cannot see this easily, perhaps a photo of what you see would help? Mine is no issue.
The summary is all very well but sometimes it's at odds with the mapping - it was today and a week ago for example. Seeing the intended track on the map is far more reliable.

Reactions: Mik3LR and roadcred
Tesla's navigation is very annoying and mis-leading at times. Few issues I observed so far:

1. On some roads voice navigation doesn't match with whats displayed on screen. For ex, it says bear left nearing an exit when the display shows you need to continue on the same road. I observed this on few other roads and ended up taking an exit when it wasn't needed. I think Tesla GPS lady likes to say Bear Left/Right to keep the driver engaged and alert.

2. It never detects motorway planned closures despite having premium connectivity (for ex, M4 always has full or partial closures in the nights). And I've never seen the car doing any re-routing due to traffic ahead on any road.

3. And its a nightmare to find a super charger along the route you're on with a simple click. Of course car decides when it needs a charge but on some occassions you may need a top up if you have further trips planned that day.

On a drive home last Saturday I noticed it was announcing on 2 consecutive roundabouts take the 1st exit yet the map route showed it was the 2nd exit on both I needed, I know this route and the 2nd exit is correct. If I’d been somewhere new I’d probably have listened to the instruction rather than glimpsing at the screen.

Reactions: Wol747 and roadcred
On a drive home last Saturday I noticed it was announcing on 2 consecutive roundabouts take the 1st exit yet the map route showed it was the 2nd exit on both I needed, I know this route and the 2nd exit is correct. If I’d been somewhere new I’d probably have listened to the instruction rather than glimpsing at the screen.
I think voice is driving on the wrong side of the road sometimes. Certainly the wrong way round roundabouts!

Aren’t some of you complaining about the poor nav also dismissing the option for AA/CarPlay? Tesla aren’t fixing their nav anytime soon, given the speed at which they introduced waypoints so I’d love the choice to use a different application for navigation.

Aren’t some of you complaining about the poor nav also dismissing the option for AA/CarPlay? Tesla aren’t fixing their nav anytime soon, given the speed at which they introduced waypoints so I’d love the choice to use a different application for navigation.

Yes. I have an iPhone and I found CarPlay (in another vehicle) to be a step backwards for my use cases. Anyway, what's more likely - carPlay coming to Teslas or UI improvements? I would not bet on the foirmer!

2. It never detects motorway planned closures despite having premium connectivity (for ex, M4 always has full or partial closures in the nights). And I've never seen the car doing any re-routing due to traffic ahead on any road.
IN the nav settings what "time saving" do you have the re routing set to? I noticed this when it was set to save 10 minutes. I reduced it to 5 minutes and I do occasionally get re routed in traffic now.

No so, at least not yesterday when it got the exit wrong on a roundabout, but also wrong if counted counter clockwise. And that damned label got in the way again...
Yes, sometimes it’s completely random 🤪
Perhaps it’s AI is becoming self-aware. One day it will just say ”no, I’m not going there” and shut the car down :eek:

Possibly the nav display autozooms when it is set to keep the map in driving direction. It does not auto-zoom when set to north-up. I have not tested this thoroughly though.

Another point is that with driving-up you can zoom manually, with two fingers, but the map will return to auto-zoom after a couple of seconds.

For me this makes good sense. Tesla is definitely trying to keep it simple, which I appreciate.

IN the nav settings what "time saving" do you have the re routing set to? I noticed this when it was set to save 10 minutes. I reduced it to 5 minutes and I do occasionally get re routed in traffic now.
I don't think I changed this setting but I'll check. Thanks for this tip. 👍 The other problem is if a motorway is completely shut due to planned roadworks, it still routes on that closed stretch. It happened many times usally at night on M4 near London. In fact, I don't think it ever re-routed due to such planned closures.