Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More than 1 year owners--Dash Rattles evolving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I had my car to the service center for a pretty bad dash rattle a few weeks ago, it came back 90% better after being repaired with a zip tie according to my service report. Since then, however, the original rattle, or one near the same location has developed as well as one or two more on the front dash that are not in places I can easily identify.

I get the sense that with time and miles (I'll hit 30,000 this week) that things have loosened up a bit and that maybe the original tight fit isn't so tight and perhaps some sort of padding or something will be necessary to kill all the buzzes and rattles. Is it just me or have other high mileage folks seen these things evolving too? Have you had them fixed?

I now have 28000 miles. My last service I had a loud rattle in the centre of the dash fixed nicely. Before that I had an A pillar creak and B pillar and sun roof creaks and rattles. They were all fixed perfectly. There is one rattle starting to occur intermittently on the right side of the dash but its not that noticeable.

I had a bad rattle in the center of my dash. It ended up being something in the screen stack and supports behind it. When the Tampa service center fixed it, they said there were a couple of supporting bolts and screws which were not tight. It took care of the buzzing bees that attacked on uneven road surfaces. I now have a small rattle somewhere around the left A/C vent, which will be addressed at the next service visit.

I have had my car for 14 months, but only have 12k miles. Lots of rattles. Both driver- and passenger-side A pillar. Passenger-side was fixed at 1yr service, returned about 100 miles later. Another rattle passenger-side I can't pin down, sounds like maybe the vent / glove box / dash. Another one somewhere in the dash I can't pin down. Passenger-side B, and both C pillars make a rattle going over bumps (were supposed to be fixed by TSB for C pillar bright work at 1yr service, 200 miles later it was worse than ever). Pano roof rattle returned at 1 year service when they applied a TSB (wish they had left it alone, was fixed at 1200 miles).

Had a rattle in the rear passenger-side door from when they replaced the rear window regulators at around 6k miles, but the fix at 1 year service seems to have held so far. The car was so quiet right after the 1 year service, it was great, wish all the fixes had held.

I've concluded that early versions of this car have irreparable rattles. Over the past year or so, I have sent my car to the service center about 6 times for various things, including its annual maintenance. During each drop off, I have complained about rattles. Each time they are "fixed." They have all come back. Like Zextraterrestrial said, some are temperature dependent (it's hard to deal with them since cold temperatures are the norm for Chicago 6m out of the year). Oddly, some seem time-of-day dependent (do I notice these more in the quiet of my early morning drives?).

I'm doing my best to deal with them, but I find it quite annoying that the fit and finish of a $100k car is this way. These are in my opinion, the shortcomings of an infant car company and one of the prices early adopters deal with.

I've driven several loaners more recently; none of them has these rattles.

Have another trip to the SC in the next month for a list of items; hopefully I can get a short term fix for the rattles.

driving on packed snow or a dirt washboard road, I think I can hear every clip rattle + my teeth too. The metal clips on plastic rattle in the metal frame holes or the clips jiggle on the plastic, they should all be easy to fix with a tiny bit of felt tape. I just haven't been annoyed with a rattle consistently enough to fix any. All the trim comes off of the S really easily so most rattles shouldn't be a real problem to fix

I've had mine for about 6 months and 4k miles. Lots of noises I need to have looked at. There's a creak in the driver's side seatbelt assembly where it hits the B pillar. It's right in my ear and very annoying. Then there's a really loud rattle either in the dash or the rearview mirror assembly, I can't figure out which. Then something from the rear of the car on the passenger side.

Is Tesla generally good about finding these things? They don't happen all the time, so they probably need a rumble pad to find them reliably, something I've never seen at an SC.

Opposite story here. When my car was delivered, I noticed a slight creak/rattle from behind the dash somewhere. I put off having the revised defroster vents installed for fear it would make it worse. When I finally did have the vents replaced, I got the car back and it's been solid and rattle free ever since.

I've had mine for about 6 months and 4k miles. Lots of noises I need to have looked at. There's a creak in the driver's side seatbelt assembly where it hits the B pillar. It's right in my ear and very annoying. Then there's a really loud rattle either in the dash or the rearview mirror assembly, I can't figure out which. Then something from the rear of the car on the passenger side.

Is Tesla generally good about finding these things? They don't happen all the time, so they probably need a rumble pad to find them reliably, something I've never seen at an SC.
I had the creaking from the drivers seatbelt, and the steering click at low speed. I mentioned them at my 12,500 mile service and both were fixed. That was nearly 4,000 miles ago and still quiet as a library in my MS!

29,000 miles on Vin #116, no rattles although I do get a whine at low power use (5-15kW).
12,000 on our 60. We hadn't noticed any rattles. However, service had it in for annual service today and their Valet heard one from the defrost vent.
They added an insulation strip and eliminated it.

There's a creak in the driver's side seatbelt assembly where it hits the B pillar. It's right in my ear and very annoying.

My car had this as well. Easy fix at the SC. They add a piece of tape and it goes away. Hasn't returned yet either. Get both the driver-side, and passenger done. As soon as I had drivers side fixed, I could hear the passenger side!

29,000 miles on Vin #116, no rattles although I do get a whine at low power use (5-15kW).
12,000 on our 60. We hadn't noticed any rattles. However, service had it in for annual service today and their Valet heard one from the defrost vent.
They added an insulation strip and eliminated it.

I too get the whine at very low power use when previously it used to only happen when I floored it. Legally, of course.