Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More than 1 year owners--Dash Rattles evolving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm doing my best to deal with them, but I find it quite annoying that the fit and finish of a $100k car is this way. These are in my opinion, the shortcomings of an infant car company and one of the prices early adopters deal with.

Possibly, but had a $300k car that rattled pretty bad too. Part of it is that without engine noise, everything is more noticeable.

I had the creaking from the drivers seatbelt, and the steering click at low speed. I mentioned them at my 12,500 mile service and both were fixed. That was nearly 4,000 miles ago and still quiet as a library in my MS!

Yeah, the steering click is a known thing. I had it too and the SC took care of it for me. When the car was new, I also had that seatbelt creak right in my left ear, but it seemed to resolve itself before I ever took the car in for service.

Appreciate all the feedback. Interesting to see so many low VINs. Seems about 50:50 on the rattle vs no rattle issue. Mine was quiet as a bell until a few months ago (other than the ceiling squeak issue: Squeaky roof liner in Tesla - YouTube) It's still not major, but on even mildly rough roads you can clearly hear the rattles, sometimes over the stereo. By no means is it serious, perhaps at my next service call (?37K miles) I'll have it looked at, unless it has to go up sooner for something.

VIN 8945, 14,7xx miles, 4/2013 delivery
Had squeaking from behind the 17" monitor by the fall. Mentioned it to Service Center during 6K tire rotation (10/2013) but could not reproduce for the tech. Nothing done.
More pronounced and frequent squeaking by the time for annual service (3/2014). Squeaking fixed. Silent for about 1500 miles. Squeaking recurred on the trip back from New Jersey, somewhere in Ohio (4/2014)
Mentioned it again as car was going in for steering wheel "click" last week. Not as pronounced as before but there are still the occasional squeaks.

It doesn't bother me as much as the clicking did but a little embarrassing when other people are in the car.

I have thousand miles on mine and at low speeds it is a rattle trap. Drives me nuts. Any uneven pavement will make it rattle. Bummed to hear some owners say their cars are quiet. The noise seems to be coming front the hatchback area.

I have thousand miles on mine and at low speeds it is a rattle trap. Drives me nuts. Any uneven pavement will make it rattle. Bummed to hear some owners say their cars are quiet. The noise seems to be coming front the hatchback area.

Check to make sure you don't have a license plate holder that rattles. I had a rattle and found that it was the holder vibrating every time I went over a bump. Can be quite loud in the cabin.

I've got a quiet car. 15 months, 15k miles, no rattles.

You can also adjust the hatchback stoppers ( hexaginal black ones ) by turning out (up) so the hatch rubber bumpers are tight when the hatch closes. I adjusted mine early on and it got rid of any noise I had.

Gotta say that the service center has been great about addressing my rattles. While they improved the most annoying one on one visit, it wasn't cured and there were a few other rattles. The second visit they did a 'deep dive' and fixed all the dash rattles I heard and found another in a door that I never noticed previously, but certainly would have once the dash rattles were fixed. Worth just letting them know next time it goes in.

VIN 4xxx/19k miles - I have a rattle developing in what seems to be the passenger A Pillar, and a tiny rattle somewhere in the drivers seatbelt mechanism. The speaker cover on the drivers door will squeak if pushed on (I know, don't push on it!). It's going into the SC tomorrow for the AC compressor noise, I'll ask them to look at the A pillar. I hate rattles, but the Model S is no better, or worse, than other premium brand cars I've owned in the past.

I have the drivers door panel "creak" that I think is due to it coming off so many times to fix door handles and address air leakage. If I place my arm on the door arm rest, it creaks. It was much worse in the cold last winter.

I had a rattle in the dash somewhere when the car was new. I never mentioned it, but when Tesla replaced my front defroster vent with the new design, it went away. I have a slight creak on the passenger side of the dash when it is hot from the sun. If I press down or lift up right at the lip at the top rear edge of the dash it goes away for a while.

Other than that, it's pretty quiet.

This may sound a little strange and I'm considering having my head examined... My car actually seems quieter now that the weather has warmed up here in AZ. I don't mean rattles or anything, I'm talking about exterior noise. Now that we have had temperatures over 100 for at least a few weeks, I've noticed a reduction in the noise from other cars, the tires, etc. I'm assuming this may have to do with the rubber seals either expanding or becoming more pliable due to the heat? Or, as already stated, I could just be insane.