Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More than 20% decrease in solar output in 1 year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dang ... I know Sunrun's PPAs include a "production guarantee" because this is necessary to honor their sales language that a solar system can "lock in" a homeowner's price of energy over the life of the PPA.

The term PPA literally means power purchase agreement... you're purchasing power from the owner of the solar system that happens to be sitting on your own roof. It is pretty wacky that Tesla could have a PPA without language that says Tesla is responsible for making that power available.
True, when we signed up with Sunrun, they guaranteed production level over the course of 2 years.

100% owned

Ok then the chance of you getting reimbursed by Tesla for lost solar production is like 0.000001%.

This is one of the reasons I wanted microinverters... one panel/inverter failing wouldn't take out my whole system. I've read enough terribad reviews about string and solaredge going offline for months while customers are left holding the bag. How we all wish to have bought our systems from V3 or be a solar-pro who could DIY an inverter replacement.

Reactions: charlesj
Ok then the chance of you getting reimbursed by Tesla for lost solar production is like 0.000001%.

This is one of the reasons I wanted microinverters... one panel/inverter failing wouldn't take out my whole system. I've read enough terribad reviews about string and solaredge going offline for months while customers are left holding the bag. How we all wish to have bought our systems from V3 or be a solar-pro who could DIY an inverter replacement.
We shall see about V3. I have an issue with the install they did, and still waiting on how they are going to fix

Does Tesla give owners a panel-by-panel view of kWh production in a given day?
I don't have Tesla panels, just LG panels with a Powerwall and an Enphase inverter, but my Enphase system tells me the output of each panel:

Xnip2022-05-12_19-15-09.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: charlesj and byeLT4
I don't have Tesla panels, just LG panels with a Powerwall and an Enphase inverter, but my Enphase system tells me the output of each panel:

View attachment 803486

You can go on google maps and get a top down picture of your house... and use that as the background of your solar panel view. It looks more cool when all those rectangles are aligned on your actual roof :p

Reactions: no2gates
I just posted about total energy production of a Tesla system of given size :) Your post surprised me because during this month I consistently have 65+ Kwh per day (this with clipping at 7.7kw since I have only one inverter) and the size of my system is 9.6kw (24 panels x 400w/ea)

Is it possible to degrade a systems performance with very long wire runs? I also watched a video just recently about someone who cleaned off their panels after the first year and got back about 5% instantly in production (He used rainwater to avoid hard water staining on the glass)

If it was a "bad wiring job" wouldn't the losses be consistent from the very beginning? I also learned that excessive heat will reduce efficiency of any panel. I wonder if what you're seeing is a combination of many factors including more heat, dirty panels, variations from year to year, etc...

Still, 30% is a LOT! I hope you discover what the trouble is...