Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just added my order number on the sheet, not sure what to believe with it numbers wise though. For example, mine is order 5228, but I've now got a second booking reference of 5930 where the lease company took it over, I wonder how accurate / inflated the order numbers are from people financing / changing car spec (not just add ons, but from SR+ to P).

So is it the assumption that around 3,500 orders were placed in the first 10 days? It would therefore follow that only a further 1,630 odd orders placed in the following 38 days? That would mean a drop in order rate from 2,500 per week to 300 per week.

Considering thousands of people with a reservation had been waiting up to 3 years to order, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I would imagine the bulk of orders went through within the first couple of days. I ordered mine on day 2.

Considering thousands of people with a reservation had been waiting up to 3 years to order, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I would imagine the bulk of orders went through within the first couple of days. I ordered mine on day 2.
I would expect a lull in orders until the back orders are on the street doing the free advertising thing. Those that know about Tesla and wanted A 3 will have mostly ordered and there isn't much to push anyone else into the bandwagon till we all start driving around. Then a steady state of possible BMW and possible audi owners become available as their natural refresh cycles come up.

Reactions: ringi and Peteski
There is currently around 1000 cars at SFO pier 80 with ships one to two days away from being in place to collect them. So by the end of this week we could effectively have a ship departing SFO with over 4000 cars bound for Europe. Norway have received 5000 m3’s. Lots also to Holland Germany and Sweden so you would think the next shipment really should be dedicated to us.

Maybe the RHD factor will play into our hands where it makes sense to switch production, make 5500 and ship before switching back to LHD for further deliveries elsewhere. Its only a week or so of production to fulfill our orders.

If only only the whole world could just get with the times and switch to RHD :cool:

Reactions: Tony Hoyle
I would expect a lull in orders until the back orders are on the street doing the free advertising thing. Those that know about Tesla and wanted A 3 will have mostly ordered and there isn't much to push anyone else into the bandwagon till we all start driving around. Then a steady state of possible BMW and possible audi owners become available as their natural refresh cycles come up.

I agree. Interestingly I took my Model X to a local garage the other week to get some new tyres fitted and a young chap with a BMW M3 came over to take a good look. He was already pretty "Tesla curious" from seeing various Youtube vids of Model S/X racing exotica on the drag strips and he was really into all the tech too. But it was very interesting to note that he was unaware of the Model 3P when I mentioned it as a viable alternative to his M3. Sooner or later guys like this will be nosing around the Tesla showrooms, especially after they get left for dead at the lights by a Model 3P, lol.

Company car BIK drops from 16% to to 2% in April and for ICE cars its still 29%+. That may cause a bit of a spike. i appreciate existing CC owners cannot just swap until the end of their current cycle but there will be people who have the option of a CC but don't take it since the BIK makes it uneconomical who will suddenly find that at 2% its very attractive. The tax bill for a midrange ICE CC can easily be £4000+ for a higher rate tax payer. For an entry level Tesla next year it will be about £400 so that's equivalent to getting the £3500 EV grant every year. That's got to tempt a few people surely? (Though there is no guarantee how long it will stay this low. could be only 1 year thing).
Of course this is not just a benefit for Tesla but since most other suitable CC options are either much more expensive ( Audi and Jag) or basically impossible to get hold of right now ( kia and Hyundai) Tesla could be well positioned to benefit.

Reactions: ringi
I digress ...

but I personally think that the likes of BMW and Audi et al have been following Model 3 Performance like a hawk and will make sure that their next performance incarnations will better it, whether pure ICE or hybrid. BMW M3 couple of months away?

Dangerous game to play though as it may be possible to start turning up the performance wick in software on all of these just so marketing can have something to headline and drivers can have their bragging rights. Wonder how far that could go?

I digress ...

but I personally think that the likes of BMW and Audi et al have been following Model 3 Performance like a hawk and will make sure that their next performance incarnations will better it, whether pure ICE or hybrid. BMW M3 couple of months away?

Dangerous game to play though as it may be possible to start turning up the performance wick in software on all of these just so marketing can have something to headline and drivers can have their bragging rights. Wonder how far that could go?

Well if they stick with ICE (or even hybrid) then they are going to lose the war against EV performance. Emissions regulations are only getting tougher each year, so they don't have much scope to keep increasing hp and the cost will be a barrier too. A Model 3P on the other hand could easily become a sub 3 sec 0-60 machine like it's big brother Performance S, with minimal hassle or cost to build. Bring it on I say!

Given how far off the pace the current BMW M3 is, I think they'll struggle to even match the current M3P, never mind better it. I expect their marketing will focus more on handling, build quality and brand! Be very interesting to see how they play it.

performance incarnations will better it, whether pure ICE or hybrid

Need to try bloody hard to get under 3.2 seconds in a hybrid/ICE. I don't think it will be possible for under 50k. The i8 - a 114k car - does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and is technically a hybrid......

BMW M3 does 0-60 in 4 seconds.... I doubt they can shave off almost a second without having a much bigger engine and a smaller passenger space.

They wont be able to beat 3.2 seconds with that price tag any time soon.

Reactions: Peteski
Need to try bloody hard to get under 3.2 seconds in a hybrid/ICE. I don't think it will be possible for under 50k. The i8 - a 114k car - does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and is technically a hybrid......

BMW M3 does 0-60 in 4 seconds.... I doubt they can shave off almost a second without having a much bigger engine and a smaller passenger space.

They wont be able to beat 3.2 seconds with that price tag any time soon.

Agreed and they will also need to go AWD (as already rumoured), which is always a bit of a compromise in an ICE layout.

Company car BIK drops from 16% to to 2% in April and for ICE cars its still 29%+. That may cause a bit of a spike. i appreciate existing CC owners cannot just swap until the end of their current cycle but there will be people who have the option of a CC but don't take it since the BIK makes it uneconomical who will suddenly find that at 2% its very attractive. The tax bill for a midrange ICE CC can easily be £4000+ for a higher rate tax payer. For an entry level Tesla next year it will be about £400 so that's equivalent to getting the £3500 EV grant every year. That's got to tempt a few people surely? (Though there is no guarantee how long it will stay this low. could be only 1 year thing).
Of course this is not just a benefit for Tesla but since most other suitable CC options are either much more expensive ( Audi and Jag) or basically impossible to get hold of right now ( kia and Hyundai) Tesla could be well positioned to benefit.

This is the kind of info they could really do with a great marketing team refining and getting into the right channels.

Tesla guy said that it took over 4 weeks to train west to east coast then ship Tilburg which is backed up in this thread Order to delivery times - 11/01 to 19/02 considerably longer than shipping west coast direct to Tilburg.

It actually only takes 2 weeks to ship west to east coast, backed up by your data posted here (the table actually states ±14 days). The rest of the time is pre and post shipping logistics and 2 weeks sea voyage which is a slow boat.

I shipped 2 40' containers in May from LA to UK. They took 23 days door to door via Houston. The route via Montreal was faster but a little more expensive. It's a little quicker to Rotterdam. Sea voyage 7-9 days depending. I guess what I'm getting at is we just don't know what shipping method Tesla are using for UK bound cars. We do know they are constantly looking to improve/fix their international logistics. A recent tweet from Musk said he was working on it on his birthday in June and Tesla often state international logistics are a challenge for them. I would imagine Ro-Ro (roll-on roll-off) vessels are much more cost effective for cars than sea containers but I guess it also depends on priorities too. All speculation. Cars aren't as time critical as fruit!!

It doesn't surprise me either. Just the rate of non reservation orders surprised me a little. Plus, if Tesla knew those reservation orders were likely, why open the RHD UK order book in May without having the stock ready to fulfil them in June/July or just communicate better delivery estimates in the first place?

I totally agree. This would explain the slow order rate after the rush.

The exponential demand Tesla predicted for the Model 3 and Model Y will be there. I am almost 100% convinced of that.

There is currently around 1000 cars at SFO pier 80 with ships one to two days away from being in place to collect them. So by the end of this week we could effectively have a ship departing SFO with over 4000 cars bound for Europe.... you would think the next shipment really should be dedicated to us.

Maybe the RHD factor will play into our hands where it makes sense to switch production, make 5500 and ship before switching back to LHD for further deliveries elsewhere. Its only a week or so of production to fulfill our orders.

YEAH!!! This is more like it!!! Makes complete sense to me too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: goRt and Roy W.