Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spoke to the new improved Tesla call centre... My car ETA 30 September is still in the US and is being shipped directly to Southamptom. The original ETA for the Southampton run was 7 October but they are doing an end of quarter rush. He believes I should have my car on the 30th - even though I'm in Edinburgh. How is that even possible but OK? He says the boat will go at 25 knots...

phoned again with some other queries. this time they told me the car is on a boat and will be in the UK the last week of September.

*shrug*

I’m in Edinburgh for a few days break and happened to walk past the Tesla showroom. So I nipped in and asked if they could find out when my M3 would be delivered. The bloke said he couldn’t be sure, but “strongly advised” me not to go away in the first week of October. Suppose that’s better than nothing.
He must be bored of us all - I did the same at lunch time today was told by the 8th. Still taking it with a pinch of salt (no invoice to complete the EST process yet), but it does seem to be edging closer.

I’m in Edinburgh for a few days break and happened to walk past the Tesla showroom. So I nipped in and asked if they could find out when my M3 would be delivered. The bloke said he couldn’t be sure, but “strongly advised” me not to go away in the first week of October. Suppose that’s better than nothing.

I honestly think they are all just winging it off little bits of information they have.

He must be bored of us all - I did the same at lunch time today was told by the 8th. Still taking it with a pinch of salt (no invoice to complete the EST process yet), but it does seem to be edging closer.

my experience and observation is that as long as Tesla know about the EST then they will give loads of time to deal with it.
on the EST side, the EST takes exactly as long as their maximum allowed time to do things. It's taken exactly 10 working days for them to process my claim after supplying them the final invoice etc.

Either way, a bunch of people have used EST and got their cars. You could ask them their experience but they are now miles away from this forum and may never return.

Doing some research into how Tesla track their cars, and apparently during shipping/transportation the GPS transponders are switched off.

So in my case, the last 'ping' from my VIN was in Philly on the 30th August, and it's yet to resurface.

I'm making the assumption that the car (in transport mode) is driven onto the ship / into a container and then powered down for the journey - then back on again as it's driven off the ship / extracted from container.

Is that right? Does anyone know better?

No containers for 3's. S's use containers, but are shipped partially disassembled. Other than that your suggestion looks reasonable. No point having the radios on when they are in a tin can in the middle of the sea. Limited reception...

No containers for 3's. S's use containers, but are shipped partially disassembled. Other than that your suggestion looks reasonable. No point having the radios on when they are in a tin can in the middle of the sea. Limited reception...

So given that lots have people have been watching Philly for the last 10 days, and no car carriers have been there excepting the Hoegh Oslo (which left for ZEE this morning) - is it possible that the car GPS was turned off on the 30th, and then moved onto the ship 9 days later without turning it back on?

Edit: I just saw that cars for Aus are containerized.....maybe they made the exception for the Bomar Calais and did it the same way.

Doing some research into how Tesla track their cars, and apparently during shipping/transportation the GPS transponders are switched off.

So in my case, the last 'ping' from my VIN was in Philly on the 30th August, and it's yet to resurface.

I'm making the assumption that the car (in transport mode) is driven onto the ship / into a container and then powered down for the journey - then back on again as it's driven off the ship / extracted from container.

Mine was also last seen on the 30th in Philadelphia and not seen again - until yesterday- when the guy on the phone cool as a cucumber said it was in the Atlantic. Now this was before the Oslo set off so if he’s right it’s not on that - but then again maybe he’s mistaken.

It’ll be here when it’s here - in the next few weeks by the sound of it. That’s the main thing.

• Love
Reactions: ME_UK
Just spoke to the new improved Tesla call centre... My car ETA 30 September is still in the US and is being shipped directly to Southamptom. The original ETA for the Southampton run was 7 October but they are doing an end of quarter rush. He believes I should have my car on the 30th - even though I'm in Edinburgh. How is that even possible but OK? He says the boat will go at 25 knots...
what wording did you use to get the info please?

Mine was also last seen on the 30th in Philadelphia and not seen again - until yesterday- when the guy on the phone cool as a cucumber said it was in the Atlantic. Now this was before the Oslo set off so if he’s right it’s not on that - but then again maybe he’s mistaken.

It’ll be here when it’s here - in the next few weeks by the sound of it. That’s the main thing.

I’m sticking with the optimistic theory that its dockside in ZEE right now....and there does seem some drive to get loads delivered by month end. We’ll see.

I’m still awaiting my VIN to formalise, if that happens in the next few days along with final invoices, then we’ll have more insight into the process! Trying to be patient.

More likely that they aren’t turned off, it’s just that there’s no mobile connectivity in the middle of the ocean.

what wording did you use to get the info please?

“i see i have a delivery date, is that certain? “
“can you see where my car is? “

that’s really it. i phoned again later and got slightly different answers. i think they are much like us lot trying to work out where things are based on delivery dates.

i think all you can bet on is that they are pushing to deliver as many cars as possible before end of quarter. if your delivery says september then they will probably try and make that happen imho.

Reactions: Mulprs
Called today, picked up after a bit of a wait and they also knew my name when they greeted me.
I got the "you've not been vin matched" monologue. (I'm a 19" LR unicorn spec) he was well rehearsed. Said it doesnt necessarily mean my car is not in transit. Next round of vins will be matched next week he said so may know more then. But I should expect mid to late October based on his guess.... sigh
Forgot to ask him if the clock is ticking on my supercharger miles as my referrals have got their cars! Will try next week if still mo SC Vin.