Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sorry but I think all this GPS pings are BS.

Not withstanding that they know full well what is loaded on the ship and where the ship is so no need to, she ship is basically a faraday cage miles from any radio mast so neither satellite GPS nor terrestrial data is likely to be of any use what so ever. SAR in capsized vessels are notorious for being hampered by poor radio comms and I don’t see a vessel on the open seas to fare any better imho. Likewise stolen cars being lost when containerised if they use GPS/data trackers rather than beacon based ones. I can see it maybe happening in port but not whilst in transit.

I think they are just trying to wow people into some myth.
tbh I think they mean the ping from the ship not the car. they know what cars are on what ships but not necceserily what vin to what person and thus not what config goes to what person.

tbh I think they mean the ping from the ship not the car. they know what cars are on what ships but not necceserily what vin to what person and thus not what config goes to what person.

Tesla must have a system which keeps track of all their cars by GPS transponder - regardless of whether shipping or not. Hence it makes sense that a database somewhere has 'last known location' stored within.

If you have a VIN assigned, or even an SC VIN - then the folks on the phones can quickly identify the location where a car was 'last seen'. Other than that, I think it's speculation on their part.

tbh I think they mean the ping from the ship not the car.

I too can't see how Tesla can track any car once it's outside of cellular coverage. Sure enough the car will know it's position on the planet, it has a GPS antenna. However, once out of cellular coverage how can it communicate it's position to anyone?

That could also tie in with what I was told yesterday re there will be a mass allocation in a couple of weeks

Please, please, please, please, please be true. Was in Edinburgh last week and asked at the store, they said it was definitely an October delivery but that I hadn't been VIN matched yet.

Please, please, please, please, please be true. Was in Edinburgh last week and asked at the store, they said it was definitely an October delivery but that I hadn't been VIN matched yet.

I was told the same by the Cambridge store, that they are now doing VIN allocations upon arrival in Europe rather than in the US. This is because it gives them much more flexibility of vehicle allocations, especially in the EU LHD market where the exact same car could go to Finland or Portugal.

Just spoke to Tesla. They said “they had received an update” that for LRAWD 19” combo expect end of Oct. I asked if tow bar would change this and they said that tow bars are no longer causing delays. He felt confident I would be able to get a LRAWD 18” tow bar earlier if I wanted.

Sunlight posn 190911.png

Just got off the phone to Tesla and was told that they couldn't give me the ship which my car is on, but it left the US on 10th of September at 2:50 something, which tallies with Hoegh Oslo.

He said that my delivery date was in the system as October 9th but they are 99% sure that will be pulled forward to end of the month.

Reactions: m3gt2