TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

More Uk-bound Ships?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by ACarneiro, Jun 20, 2019.

1. phillcom3

phillcom3 Member

30th August - Car in Philly (last GPS ping) <<< I didn't have a vin back then so god knows!

2. phillcom3

phillcom3 Member

tbh I think they mean the ping from the ship not the car. they know what cars are on what ships but not necceserily what vin to what person and thus not what config goes to what person.

3. ME_UK

ME_UK Member

Tesla must have a system which keeps track of all their cars by GPS transponder - regardless of whether shipping or not. Hence it makes sense that a database somewhere has 'last known location' stored within.

If you have a VIN assigned, or even an SC VIN - then the folks on the phones can quickly identify the location where a car was 'last seen'. Other than that, I think it's speculation on their part.

4. PB.Brown

PB.Brown Member

That could also tie in with what I was told yesterday re there will be a mass allocation in a couple of weeks

5. Andy_T_73

Andy_T_73 Member

I too can't see how Tesla can track any car once it's outside of cellular coverage. Sure enough the car will know it's position on the planet, it has a GPS antenna. However, once out of cellular coverage how can it communicate it's position to anyone?

Please, please, please, please, please be true. Was in Edinburgh last week and asked at the store, they said it was definitely an October delivery but that I hadn't been VIN matched yet.

6. AndrewR

AndrewR Member

I was told the same by the Cambridge store, that they are now doing VIN allocations upon arrival in Europe rather than in the US. This is because it gives them much more flexibility of vehicle allocations, especially in the EU LHD market where the exact same car could go to Finland or Portugal.

7. mark25306

mark25306 Member

Just spoke to Tesla. They said “they had received an update” that for LRAWD 19” combo expect end of Oct. I asked if tow bar would change this and they said that tow bars are no longer causing delays. He felt confident I would be able to get a LRAWD 18” tow bar earlier if I wanted.

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

And yet I already had a new VIN allocated since August 27th, despite my car not coming until October...

9. Christiez

Christiez Member

It's not long been pinged and you wasn't far off with your estimation!

• Like x 1
  10. booyaka76

booyaka76 Member

Delivery date text just arrived for me in Edinburgh!

23rd September at 1pm.

• Like x 1
  11. Martinb999

Martinb999 Member

Delivery date for me 20th Sept 1230 Dartford.........

• Like x 1
  12. Mr Miserable

Mr Miserable Member

Sunlight posn 190911.png

• Like x 4
  13. ivangr

ivangr Member

cool - did that line up with your final invoice date?

14. booyaka76

booyaka76 Member

which invoice?? I've had 3 final invoices so far!:p

First 2 said 25th September, 3rd one said 1st October..... So over all slightly earlier.

Best get my order in with abstract ocean for wrap/puddle lights etc

15. ivangr

ivangr Member

so does having a delivery date change what the tesla.com/account page says? does it show it there too or does it stay in "getting your contract ready" ?

16. Martinb999

Martinb999 Member

Text message asks to reply Yes if the delivery date is OK....... I've tried this adding 00 and not but the number keeps getting rejected 4915735982704
    Anyone else had this?

17. booyaka76

booyaka76 Member

just reply with YES. you shouldn't need to type the number out again.

That's all I did - now got email with final invoice and confirmation in my Tesla account of the delivery time and date.

18. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Just got off the phone to Tesla and was told that they couldn't give me the ship which my car is on, but it left the US on 10th of September at 2:50 something, which tallies with Hoegh Oslo.

He said that my delivery date was in the system as October 9th but they are 99% sure that will be pulled forward to end of the month.

• Like x 1
  19. Martinb999

Martinb999 Member

Thanks Booyaka76.
    Have done it anyway but got a "couldn't send this text" from BT.......... I'll see what's on the account tomorrow.

20. ivangr

ivangr Member

you’re probably barred from texting to abroad? call BT?