Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that they have already delivered a small number of uk cars, when did you expect the uk order book to open? Are you seriously suggesting they should have waited until they had the capacity to supply ALL initial uk orders before opening their order book? That would have been a crazy business decision. Basically they opened the uk order book as soon as they were able to start shipping some cars, as you might expect them to. It's a shame they hadn't properly finalised spec choices, pricing or finance options at that point!

Personally from a customer's perspective, I would have expected the order book to open when they had the vehicles to be able to more accurately estimate delivery dates and satisfy early reservation holders. If the performance model was the only one available for June they should have said so. They didn't because they wanted to use the pent up demand for their Q2 statement. That's what I think anyway. Crazy business decision? That's what I meant by that's big business for you. It was a business decision. They don't care about the early reservation holders as we are a one off done deal anyway. They should have said August / September delivery for non P+ orders. They would have probably receives the 5000 orders they were looking for in May June anyway. Everyone would be happier. That's what I would have expected.

They should have been more realistic with delivery estimates and they should have respected long term reservation holders more than they appear to have done, which they probably intended to do before it all got in a huge mess with pricing and spec changes. They should have also briefed their uk sales people properly to avoid all the complete BS that was spouted out.

They clearly had no intention to do this whatsoever.

I'm not canceling though!

I don't think it's at all clear what their intention was. But we can speculate all day!

I think it is clear now. From what they have done and what they are saying.

Most deliveries I have heard of were P+. But as it was a slight mix, it doesn't detract from what Tesla has done by selling out on early reservation holders to get orders on the books before the end of June by lying to customers they know they are probably not going to lose.

I sound angry. I am actually not angry at all. More fascinated with the whole thing while being a little frustrated, but I'll wait it out. My current car is on PCP for another 12 months with an opt-out at any time with no financial penalty. So I'm in a decent position. Others may well be more frustrated with Tesla's tactics. At the end of the day, the ability of Tesla to stay successful is more important than a few late UK deliveries.

Reactions: -DB-
I sound angry. I am actually not angry at all. More fascinated with the whole thing while being a little frustrated, but I'll wait it out. My current car is on PCP for another 12 months with an opt-out at any time with no financial penalty. So I'm in a decent position. Others may well be more frustrated with Tesla's tactics. At the end of the day, the ability of Tesla to stay successful is more important than a few late UK deliveries.
I'm actually a bit angry - particularly if (and I have had the same suspicion) they do think 'people who ordered on Day 1 are clearly committed, and if they've waited this long, another month or 2 isn't going to put them off'.
I am losing money every day I wait in devaluation on my current car (I had a quote to sell well over a month ago now, based on selling in June). Just a bit of communication from Tesla (rather than me having to chase them) would make me much happier..

I think it is clear now. From what they have done and what they are saying.

Most deliveries I have heard of were P+. But as it was a slight mix, it doesn't detract from what Tesla has done by selling out on early reservation holders to get orders on the books before the end of June by lying to customers they know they are probably not going to lose.

Do you actually know how many of those deliveries did and did not go to long term reservation holders? If not then I don't see how you can make any conclusion as to whether or not reservation holders were "sold out". It was obvious to all that they would prioritise P+ orders first, and no reason why those wouldn't also be reservation holders. If there was any surprise at all it was that some SR+ cars were delivered too.

I'm not trying to defend Tesla's poor communication and bungling of the spec and pricing, but I think you are being a bit over-cynical here. I also don't really understand what getting orders on the books has to do with reservation holders vs non-reservation holders? Before the books opened in May nobody had actually ordered anything and there would have been the same number of excess orders regardless of who they delivered cars to. I don't for one second believe that cars actually were delivered in strict reservation order, but there are so many variables involved that it was never likely that they would have been anyway. For example I had a reservation and am a current customer (which was also supposed to give order priority), but I changed the spec of my car after ordering and then deliberately stalled the process because I want a post September delivery.

Do you actually know how many of those deliveries did and did not go to long term reservation holders? If not then I don't see how you can make any conclusion as to whether or not reservation holders were "sold out". It was obvious to all that they would prioritise P+ orders first, and no reason why those wouldn't also be reservation holders. If there was any surprise at all it was that some SR+ cars were delivered too.

I'm not trying to defend Tesla's poor communication and bungling of the spec and pricing, but I think you are being a bit over-cynical here. I also don't really understand what getting orders on the books has to do with reservation holders vs non-reservation holders? Before the books opened in May nobody had actually ordered anything and there would have been the same number of excess orders regardless of who they delivered cars to. I don't for one second believe that cars actually were delivered in strict reservation order, but there are so many variables involved that it was never likely that they would have been anyway. For example I had a reservation and am a current customer (which was also supposed to give order priority), but I changed the spec of my car after ordering and then deliberately stalled the process because I want a post September delivery.

Haha. Oh well.

I think most people can figure out that the vast majority of the 5000 or so orders Tesla accepted in May (with a June then July delivery estimate) were not and were not ever going to be delivered. I don't think I'm being cynical either. What Tesla have done and said clearly sells out customers who ordered and reserved early. The cars were never going to be available and all done for the reasons I mentioned. I'm sure of it.

All good fun though eh?!

Reactions: goRt
Haha. Oh well.

I think most people can figure out that the vast majority of the 5000 or so orders Tesla accepted in May (with a June then July delivery estimate) were not and were not ever going to be delivered. I don't think I'm being cynical either. What Tesla have done and said clearly sells out customers who ordered and reserved early. The cars were never going to be available and all done for the reasons I mentioned. I'm sure of it.

All good fun though eh?!

Yes all good fun and I actually agree with you on the end result. I just don't get most of your reasoning behind it.

I don't see how Tesla could have waited any longer to open the uk order book (cars were actually delivered the following month) and there was always going to be a substantial backlog of orders regardless of when they timed it. We also have no idea how many of the initial batch of deliveries went to reservation holders. Some certainly did and I'm sure some didn't.

The only facts we really know are that Tesla gave unrealistic delivery dates on their website (for the bulk of orders at least) and uk sales staff were pretty much in the dark. They also made a complete mess of uk pricing and specs, causing untold chaos with their order book. Finance was also in a mess, especially the BS spouted about PCP never being an option on Model 3. Who TF would ever believe that given the number of uk sales PCP would drive?

All typical Tesla communication chaos, but I don't think they are really out to shaft anyone. As most current Tesla owners have come to realise, Tesla are simply dysfunctional when it comes to their back-office and uk staff are poorly informed, which makes them look even worse. But they do work surprisingly hard to put things right. They run a reactionary strategy. For example after the M3 price/spec debacle I waited a week or two before trying to call them to amend my order, by which time they had got their act together and they sorted it very efficiently. But those who tried calling immediately after the change got told all sorts of BS from Tesla sales people who didn't have a clue what was going on. The trick with Tesla ownership is to be very patient and they will come good in the end, whether dealing with sales or service. That's been my experience anyway and they are much less into shafting customers than typical uk Porsche/Audi/Merc/Jaguar franchise dealerships.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Yes all good fun and I actually agree with you on the end result. I just don't get most of your reasoning behind it.

My reasoning is simple: Tesla needed/wanted to reference a bunch of unfulfilled orders rolling into Q3 for their Q2 press release. By capturing all the pent-up UK demand before June end, without having or intending to fulfil most of the orders significantly helped them do this. Hence the timing and probably also the fibbing/overly zealous delivery 'estimates' to customers about delivery in June and July.

Like you say, this was never possible for most of the 4k to 5k UK RHD orders they knew they would capture. However, most customers (reservation holders and those first past the post in early May) wouldn't have known that and will most likely be feeling disappointed...currently! :)

Reactions: goRt
100's of RHD... unfortunately that leave 1000's of RHD orders... I think we're all sooo excited and and rightly so... but unfortunately the expectation management was poorly handled... Personally I was told twice over the phone that I could expect mine end of June, and a third time more toward first or second week of July...

I guess the people on the phone in the call center also just want to please and they made some rather unfounded comments without thinking it through... that just boils down to training.. and here's to hoping they will learn from that and do better in future...

Reactions: lukejrmcc and goRt