Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My order agreement has been updated with a reduced car price but the FSD has gone to full price.
I ordered before 10th May to gain the £1,000 discount on FSD. I suspect this will be fixed at some point in the future.
Still no VIN..... Has anyone with a VIN ordered a tow bar?

In the same situation. 1 May order, blue LR, 19inch wheels, FSD, tow bar. New order agreement this morning to reflect price drop but reverted to full price FSD. 40 minutes on hold to speak to nice Tesla man who confirmed they'd had lots of calls and it would be corrected.

No VIN, despite being early reservation holder and 1 May order. I asked yesterday how allocation works and they said they have to see what batched specs comes off the boat and see if anything matches an order. I said I thought the two bar would limit the chances given that it is factor fitted and they can't just add it after. The chap agreed and it would mean that a tow bar would either be good (i.e a special order picked out) or bad (not mainstream enough). My money is on "bad" given if it was "good" we'd know by now. Frustrating because when I ordered the tow bar I was told it would not affect delivery date. In fact it does seem to.

My order agreement has been updated with a reduced car price but the FSD has gone to full price.
I ordered before 10th May to gain the £1,000 discount on FSD. I suspect this will be fixed at some point in the future.
Still no VIN..... Has anyone with a VIN ordered a tow bar?

Towbar ordered, No vin. Irony is my bike rack scheduled for delivery today is lost at sea, on a ship somewhere...

You must have heard about towbar very early as by time I heard, FSD had already gone up so I lost my early discount, making a very expensive tow hitch.

Last edited:
Same here.

I'm a little bit miffed actually, as they've charged me for the solid black paint and the only reason I went for that colour is that it was free.

I'm now wondering whether I should change my order to a different and more premium interior and exterior colour with the savings (more premium being totally subjective and really meaning metallic paint and white interior!), but I'm honestly nervous that that would knock me even further down the line for getting my car - no one knows! EDIT: For the record, I haven't got a VIN. I had one for about 24hours, tho :(

This is genuinely the worst new car buying experience I've had, bar none! BMW / VW / Merc / Audi - All were in another league completely when it came to factory spec builds and deliveries. Worlds apart.

This is genuinely the worst new car buying experience I've had, bar none! BMW / VW / Merc / Audi - All were in another league completely when it came to factory spec builds and deliveries. Worlds apart.

I can't believe others don't change the delivery dates and prices about 3 times and not let you or their own staff know when the cars are coming, only to then make their customers check the status of ships in the hope their car might be coming on that one... the car better be good anyway!

Towbar ordered, No vin. Irony is my bike rack scheduled for delivery today is lost at sea, on a ship somewhere...

You must have heard about towbar very early as by time I heard, FSD had already gone up so I lost my early discount, making a very expensive tow hitch.

For my tow hitch I just rang them and added it to my existing order, keeping FSD discount on. Might be worth speaking to them to say that when they added tow hitch, you lost early payment discount on FSD.

• Informative
Reactions: RjbT3
Oh I tried and tried and gave up in the end. Wasn’t worth trying to fight an immovable force. I regretted on several occasions for not getting tow when we bought our current car 12+ years ago, so getting a second chance this time was a nice surprise irrespective of the price.

I guess you charmed them a bit more than I managed! Although if more than one person got lucky, maybe I will give it another try as precedent has been set.

1 May order, blue LR, 19inch wheels, FSD, tow bar.

I ordered 1 May, blue LR, 18 inch wheels, FSD - no tow bar (with a 2018 reservation)

Hadn't had a VIN when the new prices came in on Tuesday, so took the opportunity to add a tow bar- but I lost my FSD discount along the way

And agree - it will either make it come sooner (as it's special), or it will make it come late (as there's no supply)

Glad I did though - I've looked at the M3 roof rack, and I would be worried about the impact to the paintwork. Much better putting the bikes on the towbar.

• Informative

I agree that the logistics and communications are bad... but I'd still take this experience over dealing with f**king car salesmen _any day_.

A lot of the price changes you wouldn't even know about from BMW/VM/Merc/Audi, these would stay under wraps and would just be offered with other methods such as finance contributions and "deals" that you can get by negotiating, it would never get adjusted after purchase.

I haven't purchased brand new from BMW/VM/Merc/Audi, but when I have purchased a new car from other manufactures I get told a rough timeline, and then need to chase up the dealer to try and find where it is in the process, and then get a call pretty much when the boat has arrived, which tbh doesn't sound much different to Tesla. I think the biggest issue is people were told a month, and really it should have been +2-3 months on top of that, it was the initial estimate that was the problem.

My only problem - is that my lease car went back 18th June, and I then came back from holiday to no car on the 13th July.

So - currently got a 2 week car-rental.

Wish I knew a good date estimate, so I can minimise cost in the meantime. Don't want to get a month's rental to get a call saying my car is ready tomorrow (although - I obviously wouldn't be THAT upset :) )

Only because there aren't currently 5000+ people simultaneously trying to get their hands on a brand new landmark model, some of whom reserved up to 3 years ago. If you want a similar experience elsewhere try ordering a new E-tron or Porsche Taycan and see how long that takes to arrive. Or maybe a VW id?

but when I have purchased a new car from other manufactures I get told a rough timeline, and then need to chase up the dealer to try and find where it is in the process, and then get a call pretty much when the boat has arrived, which tbh doesn't sound much different to Tesla

With every order apart from Mercedes I've received a link that shows exactly where in the build and ship process my car is. There were about six or seven steps on average. Most had email confirmations of stage changes.

Maybe that's spoiled me, but these companies aren't known as being particularly as tech-savvy as Tesla are, so that they are so much better in keeping customers informed is frankly crackers to me!

I agree that the logistics and communications are bad... but I'd still take this experience over dealing with f**king car salesmen _any day_.

Honestly - every new car I've had in the last ten years has been done through carwow. The salespeople bid for your custom. Completely turned the car buying experience on its head for me. The only reason I've gone into a showroom since using them is to have a look round and test drive a vehicle and give those salespeople the chance to match or beat.

I'm not affiliated in any way with carwow, btw. Just a very happy customer of theirs!

With every order apart from Mercedes I've received a link that shows exactly where in the build and ship process my car is. There were about six or seven steps on average. Most had email confirmations of stage changes.

Maybe that's spoiled me, but these companies aren't known as being particularly as tech-savvy as Tesla are, so that they are so much better in keeping customers informed is frankly crackers to me!
Because there is a long list of options you get to choose from with a BMW or Merc and so the car is built to order for you. Tesla aren't doing that with the Model 3 and they are making changes to the specification and pricing regularly which means matching up what customers want with what cars have been manufactured is a bit shambolic.

Reactions: drivingmrte5la