Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Y Competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think Tesla should worry much, especially in the USA. What other are lacking is the reliable supercharger network. Other automakers do make some compelling vehicles. But without reliable charging network, it makes those vehicles less competitive.
One challenge with the supercharger network as a competitive advantage is “those who don’t know can’t understand”.

for those of us who have both experienced the pleasure of getting to THE one chademo station and seeing it inoperative or charging a Leaf with the driver gone for the next hour; and the super chargers, it is clearly a differentiating asset.

showing how simple fast and reliable is to supercharge would help grassroots marketing

Reactions: kindofblue
Thanks for posting the video. I'm not sure why folks are feeling so defensive. The Ioniq 5 looks quite fantastic and it does seem to have some extra tech and features over the Model Y. Even if you plan on staying loyal to Tesla, good competition is great for keeping Tesla's prices in check and pushing them to try and get more features and tech into their existing product lines.

Personally, I found the paint color options quite nice. Smoother ride, double paned glass in the back as well and a HUD are all nice features to have, especially if it hits the anticipated USD cost pre $7500 Federal tax credit. Charging infrastructure is definitely a huge plus for Tesla, but a large number of people getting their first EVs are not going to use them as their long road trip cars but rather their daily driver and for regular commutes. I'm personally going to still have my ICE minivan for a few more years for long road trips, so charging infrastructure isn't the top priority for me.

I do have a Y on order but I'm delaying to see if the tax credits happen. If they do, the Y will be a no brained. If not, cars like the Ioniq or other future competitors are going to look appealing and I may wait a year or two for the competition to improve and for Tesla to react accordingly before taking the plunge with EVs.

Reactions: EchoDelta
That looks like a compelling option. I’m not sure I like the interior styling, but the exterior is interesting. It’s not as fast as a Tesla, but the HUD is nice, I like that it has a few key buttons, the build quality and reliability will probably be much better, and that blue color is nice. It also charges fast. Tesla better keep moving if they want to stay on top. I do hate those digital side view mirrors. Do we really need more screens? It seems like a case of tech for tech’s sake.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
That looks like a compelling option. I’m not sure I like the interior styling, but the exterior is interesting. It’s not as fast as a Tesla, but the HUD is nice, I like that it has a few key buttons, the build quality and reliability will probably be much better, and that blue color is nice. It also charges fast. Tesla better keep moving if they want to stay on top. I do hate those digital side view mirrors. Do we really need more screens? It seems like a case of tech for tech’s sake.
Side mirrors contribute a fair amount of aero drag so car manufacturers in general have been wanting to delete them and move to much smaller camera for lower drag coefficien. But legislations move slow and even slower in the US so we are stuck with those chunky triangle appendages for now.

I am with you on not liking the interior. Also the side screens don’t look like they are very well integrated, and are similar to the E-tron which generate a lot of complaints from English youtubers (having to look further down to see).
It is not really possible to evaluate unless we get to see and drive it for ourselve.

I considered every other EV before buying a Tesla but without the Supercharger network, none of the competition would work for me since we are a 1 car household and like to go on lots of trips (hiking, skiing, etc.)

However, we are now considering buying a second vehicle that will serve mostly as a commuter car and range/charging network is a MUCH smaller factor since we already own 1 vehicle we can reliably travel further distances in. While it's nice to see the range on these newer vehicles, it just isn't that important if you're only using it for shorter distances. Can't wait to see more options out there but until the overall charging infrastructure improves, I feel like there is no other EV that compares to Tesla for all-around usability.

I considered every other EV before buying a Tesla but without the Supercharger network, none of the competition would work for me since we are a 1 car household and like to go on lots of trips (hiking, skiing, etc.)

However, we are now considering buying a second vehicle that will serve mostly as a commuter car and range/charging network is a MUCH smaller factor since we already own 1 vehicle we can reliably travel further distances in. While it's nice to see the range on these newer vehicles, it just isn't that important if you're only using it for shorter distances. Can't wait to see more options out there but until the overall charging infrastructure improves, I feel like there is no other EV that compares to Tesla for all-around usability.
Yeah, I think if your EV is going to be your primary car that you will also take longer road trips in, then Tesla is the no-brainer for that car. But if your first EV is mainly going to be a daily commuter and you will use a different (ICE or Tesla) car for your road trips, etc., then cars like the Ioniq 5 can be quite attractive. I know aesthetics are very subjective, but I really like the design of the Ioniq. It's different, has sharper lines and looks neat. Also the paint colors look great imo. With the Federal tax credit, it is probably going to be pretty popular with people looking to get their first EV and who can't spend the $50K+ for a Model Y without any tax incentives to help sweeten the deal.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Elon had said, he wanted to revolutionize the world. He made EVs practical and fun. Affordable? Maybe a bit high, but the fun is high as well.
The rest of the automobile world is mostly following along kicking and screaming. There are some that are actually trying to also be innovative.
All of this is good for everyone.