Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Y Competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things keep getting more interesting in the playing field of EVs.

I think making an EV is far easier than building out a reliable, nationwide infrastructure. It's the key. That said, I also know Elon has talked so often about how scaling up production is the most difficult thing, and that building a prototype is comparatively easy.

It looks like a nice vehicle inside and out. The more competition the better for all, and the more rapidly the widespread adoption of electric cars will happen. I'm not surprised to see a real contender coming from someone other than the traditional big automakers, disruptive technology usually leaves those companies behind due to their tremendous inertia. One example of newer companies responding more rapidly to changes is the global lack of availability of microchips in the auto industry. Tesla changed their firmware to use newer, available chips, while others are waiting and losing sales and money ($61 billion USD), for production of the older chips to ramp up.

I attended Transpo '72 at Dulles Airport and the cars of the future on display all had cameras instead of outside rear view mirrors. What a great idea! An example of the inertia of bureaucratic government agencies is the fact that 50 years later the US still hasn't approved them.

I like how one can use the Ioniq's battery as a generator, can come in handy during power outage.

@KL_68 nice feature indeed, though I'm not sure referring to using it "as a generator" is really correct. A generator is essentially a small ICE motor that consumes gasoline or diesel fuel and outputs electricity. It would be more accurate to say using it "as a battery backup" or "as a mobile powerwall" or something along those lines.

I have had no less than 3 Genesis in the past. Nothing but good to say about them. Most reliable car I have ever owned. I will be watching this closely as if it is sold under the Genesis brand it will definitely be luxury. I did cancel my GV80 order to buy the Y by the way which would have been my 4th Genesis. Pretty amazing piece of machinery. Is a n EV still called a piece of machinery or should we refer to them as sewing machines on steroids. :D

Yeah, I think if your EV is going to be your primary car that you will also take longer road trips in, then Tesla is the no-brainer for that car. But if your first EV is mainly going to be a daily commuter and you will use a different (ICE or Tesla) car for your road trips, etc., then cars like the Ioniq 5 can be quite attractive. I know aesthetics are very subjective, but I really like the design of the Ioniq. It's different, has sharper lines and looks neat. Also the paint colors look great imo. With the Federal tax credit, it is probably going to be pretty popular with people looking to get their first EV and who can't spend the $50K+ for a Model Y without any tax incentives to help sweeten the deal.
The problem with that for me is that I want an SUV as the road trip car. For a daily commuter I don't want an SUV, I want a sports sedan like the Model 3. But most of the competition seems to be SUVs, which I think aren't that useful without the supercharging network.

While I think there will be solid competition to Tesla in the long-run, the reality is that it will take competitors years to catch up with production volume...and it is not like Tesla is standing still. Take a look at placing an order today for a Mach-E Premium - 24 weeks lead time. 26 weeks for a GT. And everyone not named VW is building limited quantities a year, not to mention the overall supply chain issues in the market today. The stock market influencers will surely make Tesla and other EV stock prices gain and drop wildly on speculation, but most analysts agree that the next 1-3 years will be continued strong sales and delivery numbers for Tesla, and just the beginning of manufacturing, sales and delivery (and growing pains) for anyone not named Tesla. Maybe in 4-5 years the ground will be more level. I'm not stating that some of the competition today isn't better than my MY in some regards in terms of specific features, ride or build quality, but I just find it nearly impossible to believe that any other manufacturer will be delivering 750 - 1M EVs (not including PHEVs) a year by 2022.