Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Morning Musings and Tesla Math

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
newB, lurker here.
As I await my LR (September-October, but they didn't say which decade!) I was thinking.
There's 5 color choices. 3 interior choices. so that's 15 permutations. (the plaid is a whole other conversation, with different trim options as well)
Wheels - 2 choices (not sure if can be switched out at dealership before delivery, or stuck with what factory puts on - if stuck, then that's 2 more permutations, or 30 choices, if can be swapped, then I'd say we're still at 15 combos)
similarly - FSD - it seems the FSD orders are getting a priority - but since it's a software thing, I don't know if that would be considered a new combo for processing.
Here's where I'm going:
Person can't pick up during their delivery window - so it goes to the next on the list. Is that 1 out of 15 choices, 30 choices, or 60 choices? And can dealerships print a new factory sticker before the car has been delivered? (not sure about laws).
So, if someone misses their delivery window, is the next "match" one in 15? 30? 60?
Also, on the drone videos, it looks to me like there are VERY few white models. I'd imagine MORE because it's less expensive, and the car looks good in white anyway. Most of the cars I was able to see in the videos seemed dark - black/grey (sometimes hard to distinguish), blue, and a rare red or white.
I love the spreadsheet on the site that shows you the breakdown of colors ordered and options.
I just thought it was interesting. If you order a "regular" car, at least as of a few years ago, you could get this package or that package, and I know at least BMW and Mercedes would have custom wiring harnesses for the particular car - Tesla's method seems far more repeatable - in that you have little to no customization so that should increase assembly productivity.
just my .02