Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moronic placement of backup cam in V11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The placement of the blind spot cam in V11 is sloppy, negligent, moronic, and lazy -- not to mention dangerous! Take your pick. Firstly, it cuts off approaching traffic behind you in the traffic sim. Secondly, the backup cam should be on top, the traffic sim should be below. Thirdly, the cam dwarfs the sim, rendering the sim useless. WTF was Tesla thinking? 🤬

Last edited:
The placement of the backup cam in V11 is sloppy, negligent, moronic, and lazy! Take your pick. Firstly, it cuts off approaching traffic behind you in the traffic sim. Secondly, the backup cam should be on top, the traffic sim should be below. Thirdly, the cam dwarfs the sim, making the sim dangerous and useless. WTF was Tesla thinking? 🤬
You mean the side blinker camera?

I agree, I can barely see the camera in the bottom left corner when I signal as my hand is in the way because of where I grip the steering wheel.

Reactions: pusheen and TSLY
Yeah, my hand is always in the way. Not sure what they were thinking, especially considering those with yolks will be forced to have their hand there too. When I heard they were adding the blinker cam thing, I thought it would display a larger view, under the map or something. The very least they could've done was auto size/scale the sim view... They just clipped the sim, which is pretty disappointing/amateurish.

Reactions: TSLY
In the fog of deadline, under pressure, in haste, with no regard for ergonomics, functionality, aesthetics, or safety, no person in authority had the common sense or smarts to shelve it, temporarily, in order to work out its kinks. The essence of mediocrity! 🧐

In other words, they had to get the light show done for that software update so they can get shares, likes, and re-tweets on social media! Improved functionality doesn't get social media cred.

Keith

Totally agree on blind spot cam placement. Should be up high. When I have both hands on the wheel, my fist blocks the video feed. Should be up top and possibly on the side of the screen opposite the driver. Was hoping placement would have changed with 2021.44.30 but alas...it did not.

If only they had some way of fixing this without a recall.🙄 Most new Tesla features are bad before they're good. They could wait until they get it perfect, of course, in which case it would come out a year later.

Of course the entirety of V11 has come out a year later, but that's a different issue.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
It would be a lot better and would not be too costly to add an additional display on the right side, like the Honda E

honda-e-side-camera-mirror-system.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: GeezerSquid
In Japan, the Tesla Model X is considered as an SUV and needs to have a blind spot monitor for the opposite side of the driver.

1. Japanese Model X (Right-Hand Drive) with an additional blind spot monitor below the dashboard.

JP-Model-X-Side-Camera-1.jpg

2. The additional display (See picture #1) shows the right side of the car (See the black and red floor stripe, picture #3) using the central pillar camera.

JP-Model-X-Side-Camera-2.jpg

3. Overview of the car showing the image displayed by the side camera (See picture #2).

JP-Model-X-Side-Camera-4.jpg

Last edited:
The placement of the blind spot cam in V11 is sloppy, negligent, moronic, and lazy -- not to mention dangerous! Take your pick. Firstly, it cuts off approaching traffic behind you in the traffic sim. Secondly, the backup cam should be on top, the traffic sim should be below. Thirdly, the cam dwarfs the sim, rendering the sim useless. WTF was Tesla thinking? 🤬
I tried this the first time today (we had been snowed in), and the first thing came out of my wife’s mouth is exactly that “it should be on top”! Have not had enough time to comment on other changes.