Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moronic placement of backup cam in V11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Japan, the Tesla Model X is considered as an SUV and needs to have a blind spot monitor for the opposite side of the driver.

1. Japanese Model X (Right-Hand Drive) with an additional blind spot monitor below the dashboard.

View attachment 751320

2. The additional display (See picture #1) shows the right side of the car (See the black and red floor stripe, picture #3) using the central pillar camera.

View attachment 751321

3. Overview of the car showing the image displayed by the side camera (See picture #2).

View attachment 751322

Wow.

It would be nice if they let us view these cameras somehow when parking.

Reactions: TSLY
Deciding to look at the screen to see if you have any approaching vehicles a pretty poor decision to begin with. I'd opt for using mirrors first, camera feed second, then the screen as the third option.
I would have much preferred having the car come with blind spot warning lights on the side mirrors like basically every other car company does. Looking towards the touchscreen is the wrong place to be looking when you’re changing lanes. Between this and my hand blocking the repeater camera picture, I’m probably going to turn this off.

IMO, the next best work around would be to give us the option of having the blinker sound be a little different when there’s a car in the blind spot. This would give us an advanced audio warning of a possible problem, instead of the imminent crash warning we have now. Many of us can’t position the mirrors far out enough to get rid of out blind spots.

Reactions: Nujec and tomagucci
I turned it off after a few days. The mirrors and the normal traffic graphics just work better for me. They put it in the only spot of the screen that covered something I glanced at before changing lanes. They covered the lane change warning graphic.
Exactly what I did. I already used to blind spot graphics and shoulder checks and mirrors. But My wife’s likes the blind spot cam view.

I hate the placement. Too low and takes my eyes completely off the road. Second issue, when using the 3 sec lane change blinker, the 1s delay to load the camera feed leaves just 2 seconds for a glance. Not long enough to really see what is going on. Third issue is that it's much harder to gauge depth/distance with it than with the simulation or side-view mirrors. Even worse at night when all you see is two bright lights. The feature is cool looking but practically useless.

I would have much preferred having the car come with blind spot warning lights on the side mirrors like basically every other car company does. Looking towards the touchscreen is the wrong place to be looking when you’re changing lanes. Between this and my hand blocking the repeater camera picture, I’m probably going to turn this off.

IMO, the next best work around would be to give us the option of having the blinker sound be a little different when there’s a car in the blind spot. This would give us an advanced audio warning of a possible problem, instead of the imminent crash warning we have now. Many of us can’t position the mirrors far out enough to get rid of out blind spots.
“Many of us can’t position the mirrors far out enough to get rid of out blind spots.”

Why? Are you aware of the pins (inside the driver’s side mirror) can be trimmed off to get a wider view? This was an issue that I had with my YLR.