TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Most accurate range in car

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Jeffruby, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Member

Guys,

Where in the car is an actual "how many miles I can really drive" before needing to walk. Does this exist?

Does the range estimate on the speedometer (way off) match the data on the "energy" area?

(I'd look on my own car but stuck at work and this is bugging me)? How accurate is the projected average range?

Thanks!

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Totally subjective... It's got a range gauge (rated in my case). Accurate.

Drive 90mph, major head wind, mountains.... Ac running, heater....not gonna make the rated range.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

- In most cases rated range is actually pretty close. However, it doesn't adjust for high winds, very cold weather, etc.

- To confirm how close it is, do the following:

1. Remember what the range was when you finished charging (if it's critical write it down).

2. Look at the "Since Last Charge" on the trip meter and get the miles driven.

3. Look at the miles left.

4. Add the miles left to the miles driven.

5. If the total in step four is higher than the number when you finished charging then you're fine. If it's less than you should slow down if it appears you're going to be cutting it close.

6. Note that going up or down a mountain will skew the numbers.

- As far as the data in the energy screen goes (the one one the 17" display), 30 miles is too short a distance for a good estimate, unless you know the conditions won't change.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

#4 efusco, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

See if this gives you some food for thought.

5. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

The most accurate data is actually at evtripplanner.com
    It would be awesome if Tesla could incorporate that sort of calculations into an onboard trip planner.

6. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

I do exactly what Jerry says above. Have been for a year even when it doesn't matter. Never say never, never say always; but I've not yet put myself in a position to worry about walking.

With Jerry's technique your essentially checking that you're achieving rated mileage. If you're not (and you need to) as Jerry says: slow down. The difference between 75mph and 60mph is substantial as far as energy use. If it's Winter and you're uptight about making it; turn off the heat and use the seat heater.

The bottom line is: the rated mileage IS fairly accurate if you're driving at rated Wh/mi. That's what you're checking with the above technique.

Are you routinely driving at the limits of the cars range before charging?

Or, you could use the less technical method of charging to 90% and never drive more than 180 miles between charging (in an 85) and drive anyway you want. That's usually a good safe number unless you're driving at ridiculous speeds in horrible weather.

7. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

here is a thought, charge to 100%, take your avg Wht/mi after at least 30 miles (what most people suggest, I agree) divide by capacity X 1000. For example if your avg is 312 and you have a 60, then after 192 miles you will be walking.

8. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

I might have suggested this only once before: Teslas, being limited range BEVs, are most naturally 'commuter' cars where repeating the same trip(s) over and over yields an experience base that can be relied upon. Until conditions change that is. Then you learn to allow for headwinds, cold snaps, wet or iced surfaces. Record your waypoint data on every trip.

Your ultimate defense against 'walking home' is recognizing when you have insufficient Miles Remaining to get you home from point X. LIMP HOME MODE = 30 mph max speed (use flashers). Get off the highway onto secondary or tertiary roads to do this. Practice using these emergency return routes. With this knowledge you will always be able to get the MS to creep home with at least a few miles remaining.
    --

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Note however that the optimum "limp home" speed may be a little higher in extreme cold conditions. If the pack heater kicks in that's a constant draw over time. (HVAC too if you're using it.)

10. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

True, but how likely is Pack Heater to activate on a long day trip, unless you are making longish stops? AFAIK it has never happened to me as indicated by NO REGEN appearing on dash, unusual spike in energy graph, or inexplicable LOST MILES. Might be some other indication?

Pack heating (during cold spells) ideally should be done on home power before you leave, by topping off for one or two hours. When I don't do this its not a big difference since the first 50 miles is a slow climb up 1600 ft.
    --

11. rjcbox

rjcbox Member

From reading hundreds of posts on the topic, I think the range displayed is about as good an estimate as we can expect. There are so many factors that affect range in your EV, and your ICE as well. Speed, winds, grade, tires, temperature, running heat/AC, etc. The worst scenario is driving 90mph in subzero temps for a distance w/ a cozy warm cabin, which has been reported to eat up estimated miles ~twice as fast, compared to fair-weather conservative driving. I filled up our BMW today and estimated tank range always displays >450miles - I never have seen more than 350 miles on a tank, full to empty.