Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most accurate way to plan a trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a few trips coming up, and I was wondering if the more experienced owners could share their thoughts on the best way to guess how long a trip will take. Do you go with Tesla's trip planner (Go Anywhere | Tesla) or EV Trip Planner? (EV Trip Planner)

I've got an upcoming trip from Alpharetta, GA to Waverly, NY, and Tesla's site is guessing 17 hours 8 minutes, whereas EV Trip Planner is guessing almost exactly 15 hours. That's a pretty big variation in time between the two, so I thought I'd throw it out to the community for their input.

... That's a pretty big variation in time between the two, so I thought I'd throw it out to the community for their input.

If you set these in EV trip planner car settings, it is very accurate:

Speed Multiplier
The speed multiplier is how fast you drive compared to normal traffic flow. If you tend to drive with traffic (passing about as many cars as pass you) this should be 1.0. If you drive a little faster, 1.05 or 1.1 may be appropriate. Play around with this number for best results.

Cabin Temp (°F)
Ext Temp (°F)
Payload (lb)
This includes everything in the car, such as the driver, passenger, and luggage.

Wind (mph)
Positive values represent headwinds and negative values represent tailwinds. Crosswinds are not supported. This is average windspeed, and most routes will have both headwinds and tailwinds, so use this as you deem appropriate.

Another good website is A Better Routeplanner

I would also offer up a suggestion to have a Plan B. Travelers just do not know today what the charging opportunities will be down the road, as it were. Once in a while a Supercharger is down completely or has limited availability. (Not trying to scare you!)

If you are planning to spend the night en route, try to find an establishment that has a destination charger so you can charge while you sleep. That way, you might be able to skip the first Supercharger on the second day.

I personally have not used the total trip time function. For one reason, Supercharger rates can vary considerably due to any number of factors. Secondly, your driving style might be more or less efficient than the projection. Thirdly, you might wind up at a Supercharger, planning to depart after 25-30 minutes with the battery at 70% and find out that your lunch will take longer than anticipated.

Enjoy the drive!

Reactions: Rossy and bmah
The nav is fine for real-time information. Keep an eye on the % battery at destination and slow down a little if it is lower than you're comfortable with (or maybe even consistently dropping).

I use EVTripPlanner for routing and feasibility. It's been fairly accurate in my four trips so far, but hardly ever spot on. That's what the margin is for. Especially with high speeds and wind, a small change can make a big difference in your consumption that can't easily be predicted.

I have had good results with planning predictions from:
EV Trip Optimizer EV Trip Optimizer for Tesla on the App Store

Be honest about the load weight.
Set target arrival charge to 20% until you get comfortable. Have PlugShare handy just in case of disaster.
^^ this by a long shot ^^

Also, when comparing the car's Nav route planned, look at it carefully. It does stupid things sometimes.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I've heard the Nav in the S and X can do this but the 3 is using different maps. Anyone know if it's any better?
Good point! I assume it must be better. It did not ALWAYS do a bad job, which was actually even more frustrating. It works fine most of the time. Then suddenly it doesn't and you find yourself re-routed in the middle of a trip in a dangerous way that you might not have range enough to complete safely.

https://evtripping.com/ has a few great features as well. It gets real time weather info from the route and automatically adjust the ambient temps accordingly. Makes a big difference! It also allows you to enter different start times and tells you where you will be at what time of the day which is very helpful for longer trip to plan timing right. It is also the only tool that calculates time zones correctly.

Reactions: cellogig
It is also the only tool that calculates time zones correctly.
Just to be clear: EVTO does weather forecasts and past weather including temps, cross winds and road conditions too for each stop on your route. In the next release it will also do battery heating. It also has all times in local time (ie time zones), just like when you book an airline ticket.

• Love
Reactions: David99 and BerTX
I only have 1 long trip in my 3 to speak to - but I noticed that arriving-percent was pretty accurate even though speed was elevated. What would alter, as approaching the SC, was the amount of time I would need to reach the next station - makes sense

I think Waze may do a better job with traffic rerouting; I need to do a trip with both active

Is EV Trip Planner even being maintained any more? I tried to plan a trip from Summerville SC to Tucson AZ and wound up with this:
upload_2018-3-16_6-32-20.png

I also always get these sorts of stops for charging, wherein the route planner takes me out of my way to get to the charger:

upload_2018-3-16_6-37-47.png

I've got a few trips coming up, and I was wondering if the more experienced owners could share their thoughts on the best way to guess how long a trip will take. Do you go with Tesla's trip planner (Go Anywhere | Tesla) or EV Trip Planner? (EV Trip Planner)

I've got an upcoming trip from Alpharetta, GA to Waverly, NY, and Tesla's site is guessing 17 hours 8 minutes, whereas EV Trip Planner is guessing almost exactly 15 hours. That's a pretty big variation in time between the two, so I thought I'd throw it out to the community for their input.
Tried many but prefer ABetterRouteplanner.

upload_2018-3-17_15-38-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-17_15-36-6.png
    upload_2018-3-17_15-36-6.png
    732.5 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: Dave B
Tried many but prefer ABetterRouteplanner.
So exactly what do you do you do once you have a plan on ABetterRoutePlanner. I assume you save the plan and then when you are ready to go, you login to ABetterRoutePlanner and then login to myTeslaLogin for RealTime car info. Then do you use your phone for navigation? Seems weird when you have a huge screen in the car.

Or do you just plan the route and, I assume, enter that into your cars navigation and only occasionally look at the phone as it updates with real-time car info?

I have a trip coming up in mid-April and should be getting my Model 3 in the next two weeks.

Reactions: srijey