Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most accurate way to plan a trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately you cannot do this with EVTO since it does not integrate to the car directly. When/if Tesla comes up with a secure and published way to do this I would be willing to add it as an option.

But keep this in mind: The car already does this. It uses your last 30 miles or so for it's consumption metric and adds planned elevation change to the next stop. But this is only good if the speed, driving style, traffic, weather and other factors are constant, which they never are. This is why using the navigation and watching your estimated arrival SOC bounces around a lot. If your consumption changes during that drive, the cars estimate will change too.

So if I added this feature to EVTO it would be wrong most of the time. It's current method is supposed to be much more stable. Biggest issue is if the weather reported is different or you find yourself not driving the same was you thought you would be during planning.

So thinking out loud it might be best if EVTO just monitored your speed to see if it aligned with predicted and then also monitored the weather to see if it's changed. It currently checks the weather forecast if it's older than 6 hours. The weather is checked if you make a change or at least just select Save without a change in Edit Trip Details.
I was about to buy a subscription version of EVTO, then your post came out and I decided to use that just for planning purpose. As you said, the changes in traffic and the ambient conditions (wind, temp) are not easily predictable. Hope I could get used to it before the winter steps in. Thx

Great replies. i would second ABRP Your on-board nav is going to be most accurate however it's always to have some options and to planing prior to the trip. With ABRP, you can log into your tesla account and get accurate reporting while you are driving in the web browser.
The other cool aspect with ABRP is you can save your route to a google map or apple map.

ABRP.JPG

My 2 cents would be to use plug share to verify some of the quirks with some supercharger. Plugshare helps you with where S/C are located. Viewing the comments will also provide valuable resources. It's also a good way to know about S/C amenities.

My 2 cents would be to use plug share to verify some of the quirks with some supercharger. Plugshare helps you with where S/C are located. Viewing the comments will also provide valuable resources. It's also a good way to know about S/C amenities.

It is also quite good at describing the specific locations of the stalls. Too often, the Tesla navigation drops off once you are close. Too often, the Tesla navigation has us turn on one or more "unnamed roads."

PlugShare users have been good enough to state something like, "The Superchargers are located behind Lucky Lou's Diner and Wild West Emporium."

Reactions: puckpurnell
ABRP does not include the seasonal road closures and destination/ public place chargers. I had to use Tesla destination chargers list, hotel search engine (Only booking.com has an option for EV chargers search), google real time map and ABRP to plan my long road trips.