Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most Annoying Little Things About My Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Skotty

2014 S P85 | 2023 F-150L
Jun 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I have an S and a 3 and a Clipper Creek charger with an adapter to charge our Teslas. Here's a few things I wish they would change:

1) Swiping left and right in the app to switch between cars. I never ever remember which way to swipe to switch from one car to another, and 50% of the time I guess wrong. If I wrongly swipe right, it goes to the Powerwall screen, where it then stalls and provides a loading spinner for awhile before throwing up an add about Powerwalls that I have to close so I can go back and try again. I highly recommend they simply disable the Powerwall screen if you don't have a Powerwall (or provide a settings option to), or maybe provide some small visual indicator to indicate where a left and right swipe will take you so I can swipe in the intended direction.

2) The 3 charge door timeout is too short. Every damn time I tell it to open the charge port, just before I get to the back of the car with my Clipper Creek charge cord, it closes just before I get there. Then it's another 30+ seconds of reopening the app and opening the charge port or getting back in the car and using the center screen to open the charge port again, then the race is on again. Even 5 more seconds would probably be enough, but 15 to 30 more seconds on the charge port door timeout would probably be ideal.

3) Mobile app has always been flaky when both the cars and the phones are connecting via home wireless. Sometimes it doesn't work, or takes a really long time to respond. This can combine with items 1 and 2 for compounded annoyance. Sometimes I disable wireless on my phone so I can connect over cellular, which is often quicker. I don't know if this is somehow fixable, but would be nice if it was.

Anyone else have these experiences? Items 1 and 2 could be easily remedied with software updates I would think.

On your point 1), you can swipe more slowly and see what is next without 'committing'

On 2) (as it relates to the model 3 at least,) you can just push the bottom of the charge port door to prompt it to open.

I don't have quite the same issue as 3) but my car (and hence the app) does take a while to wake up sometimes.

On 2) (as it relates to the model 3 at least,) you can just push the bottom of the charge port door to prompt it to open.
The Clipper Creek charger plug don't have a button but making pressure on the car charger door will open the door,
but you need keep the rear passenger or the driver door just a little bit open, like one inch, so the car don't lock out the doors and the charger door.

I have all three of these problems, too. I've learned not to swipe all the way on the app until you get a glimpse of what you're swiping towards. For 2) they really need to lengthen the timeout duration by at least 20 seconds. Pressure on the charging port door is not feasible when your hands are full. I always utter a few choice words while setting something down so I can open the charge port again. As for 3) it appears this is working better since the last update a couple days ago. Too early to say for sure.

It's funny that none of these problems exist with my original Roadster, Tesla's first model. To be fair, the app is made by a third party so it's separate from Tesla's app, no swiping necessary. The charge port door stays open as long as you need. The app and car always connect to Wifi quickly, and HomeLink is more reliable.

Reactions: dhrivnak