TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Most excellent lecture: "Precisely Why The Tesla Model 3 Will Upend The Global Auto Industry"

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Mark77a, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh29DHs50xE

Absolutely nails why ev's in general, and Tesla in particular ARE the future, well argued by an very experienced Imperial College engineer turned battery entrepreneur and economist: warning does contain: economics, graphs, Tesla content, other EV makers and 'Fool-cells' :) (not a flash lecture, more like you'd get at college - but WELL worth a watch/listen)

Includes some fascinating history such as: "Chevron bought the patents for the nickel-metal-hydride battery used in the GM EV1 and then stuck it on a dusty shelf to prevent progress. But something less well known is that ExxonMobil invented the lithium battery, in the 1970s. The exact chemistry for ExxonMobil's battery was not really suited for production, but the company patented the lithium battery anyway … and that patent didn't expire until the year 2000 !!" Worth taking notes :)

• Like x 1
  2. Jayc

Jayc Member

Found it fascinating the parallels being made on how Ford Model T replaced Horses on the street and how the general population at the time started to realize they could not live with "tail pipe emissions" left by horses on the street. Almost a decade later the same story repeats but only a clever few spotted this opportunity.

The other thing I found most interesting is the analysis made on lifetime ownership of the Model 3 and we suddenly start to see the impact this car is going to make.

Then there is the point he makes that it is actually ICE refilling that is at fault and that they have had to create vast numbers of refil stations only because an ICE car cannot be refilled at home so in that sense, it is fine even if Tesla can manage to keep increasing Supercharger points but need not be linearly proportional to the number of Teslas sold.

Also today we talk about depreciation of EVs but having listened to this, I am absolutely convinced in a few years it will be ICE vehicles that will start to depreciate most and there will come a point when dealers will shift to leasing in order to offset demand for new car purchases but then there will come a point when boom, ICE will be no more.

• Like x 2
  3. Tiberius

Tiberius Member

• Like x 1
  4. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

Looks like you guys have already seen this video - I love the comments (but I will refrain from commenting more, except to say I thought it was just us Brits who are a cynical lot :) .. especially at the moment with brexit )

• Like x 1
  5. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

YES! This video is spot on. Share, share, share

6. ZachShahan

ZachShahan Member