Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most number of Teslas you were together on highway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Including my Model S, there were like 5 Tesla's together on I-5 highway. 3 can happen, but have you seen like 5 on the same way and together coincidentally?

It was funny moment when all 5 were sharing the road, and funny thing was we were in the same speed, probably autopilot on 70mph because I had it on 70 mph. It was like 10 min until all of us parted away. One by one Tesla's joined and then ones that were going fast slowed down to go together for a while.

Other cars may have thought we had a "Tesla club" meeting.

Is this something common in other areas?

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
5 is still my record - I've been one of 5 in the carpool lanes driving to work and at an intersection, 5 others. There are easily 20+ in our smaller parking lot at work, I should take a picture sometime. At one point there were lots of Nisson Leafs but I think when their leases were up, everyone was buying Teslas. Every color and option package is represented in the parking lot here, great for me to look and say "Hmm. what would my color car look like with 21" wheels? What about silver 21" wheels?" - every option is parked out there it seems.

Teslas are the Prius of Silicon Valley now, I'm alway amazed when I hear people in other parts of the country talk about how people are always approaching to talk about the car. They are a dime a dozen here, definitely nothing "special" about owning one, but it also means that the people that drive them because they love 'em, not for any status thing. I've never once (since 2015) had anyone ever approach me and ask about the car.

A few friends climbed in and said: "Do you have ludicrous mode???" I say "No, it's just the 85D." and they look pretty disappointed. We drive on in silence.

That's my Roadster in front of all those Model S. We drove from Roseville, CA to the Fremont Factory, and then on to Monterey. Peoplte were honking and waving - it was a blast.

leading the way jul 18 2014.jpg

One thing that might be cool for future AP updates, and autonomous driving in general, is a slipstream mode for situations such as this. The idea is that when several autonomous cars are on the highway traveling to a similar destination they can line up together and optimize the distance from each other based on their speed to have the best aerodynamic profile.

If the cars are connected then the braking effects are minimized and cascades are also reduced. That is, if the front car brakes it can signal to the other cars behind it to preemptively slow down. This would reduce traffic congestion, rear ending, and energy usage. One of the causes of traffic congestion is just this, that a car brakes and the car behind it over compensates and brakes by a slightly higher amount. This causes a cascade effect where the back of line eventually has to come to a full stop. Autonomous connected cars can minimize this scenario.

I can remember a couple of times being in a loose grouping of four cars, once on the freeway and once in the traffic circle at my son's school. :)

This was neither "in the wild" nor on a public road, but here's my dashcam video of the REFUEL 2017 parade lap at Laguna Seca a few weeks ago:

Bruce.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Maybe 3 if I include myself.

I did learn a lesson from a Tesla the other day.

I was in the left lane and a Tesla P100D was in the right, and he was behind some car that was turning right. I needed that lane so I lethargically got over ahead of the turning car. I didn't think much of it, and I didn't see much reason to hurry it up.

But, what I wasn't thinking about is he was going to nail the throttle as soon as the car had cleared. Obviously he knew I was changing lanes so it didn't cause any accident. I just didn't expect him to be RIGHT there when I looked back, and then he zoomed right passed me fairly above the speed limit, but nothing crazy.

Not a random sighting, but I was in a group of 8 Model S driving from Vancouver on a BC Tesla owners club rally last year to Hope BC. Once we arrived at the Hope Supercharger (6 stalls), there was a total of 22 Model S in the parking lot.

In the wild, I've spotted perhaps 3 together driving on same stretch of road at once. But these days around town, on any given day I may pass a dozen or more in total during the day (not together), there are so many Model X especially here now.

When did giga factory open? I came from Florida last month and they said no tours..
I was in Fremont, closed for model 3 change, wasted trip from Florida.
The Gigafactory event was 7/29/16 and they had tours for those who were invited. The pictures in the earlier post were from that event. They did recently announce they will be offering regularly scheduled tours soon.

My record on the highway randomly is 7 (3 Xs back when those were a lot rarer). I was in my leaf as our S hadn't been delivered (so 8 EVs -- a i3 even showed up after some Teslas left). It was a brief glimpse of the future. That was almost a year ago and its been 4 at the most since then.... (Except Tesla meet ups).

I get excited when I see one other Tesla on my commute up to Philly and back from the southern Jersey shore! I only see another Tesla at most once per week on average - and have never seen another Roadster in the "wild" although I know they are out there.

Reactions: Maximilien
I can remember a couple of times being in a loose grouping of four cars, once on the freeway and once in the traffic circle at my son's school. :)
This was neither "in the wild" nor on a public road, but here's my dashcam video of the REFUEL 2017 parade lap at Laguna Seca a few weeks ago:
Bruce.
That's great Bruce-- thank you. You can see our car at 2:18 and again in line at 3:22.

Reactions: bmah