Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most practical charging set up for 2 Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a Gen 2 Wall charger connected to a 60A circuit breaker in the main panel. I am planning to get another Tesla vehicle and the only wall charger available to purchase is Gen 3. Since they are not compatible for load sharing, what would be the most practical solution to charge 2 Tesla vehicles my situation? I understand I could replace the current WC Gen 2 with a Gen 3, to be able to share the load with another gen 3 WC, but just wondering if there are some cheaper solutions out there?

Thanks

I currently own a Gen 2 Wall charger connected to a 60A circuit breaker in the main panel. I am planning to get another Tesla vehicle and the only wall charger available to purchase is Gen 3. Since they are not compatible for load sharing, what would be the most practical solution to charge 2 Tesla vehicles my situation? I understand I could replace the current WC Gen 2 with a Gen 3, to be able to share the load with another gen 3 WC, but just wondering if there are some cheaper solutions out there?

Thanks
Currently gen 3 still doesn't support load balancing. If you shop around, you can still find new in box gen 2 for sale. If you wanted to be more future-proof, you could try to swap the gen 2 for a gen 3...but there's no ETA on when it will support load balancing. We have 3 of the gen 2 wall connectors set up for load balancing and no plan to swap them out any time soon since they still have a lot of advantages over the gen 3. For example, ability to charge at up to 80 amps, 24 foot cables, hard-wired load balancing, not prone to overheating, etc.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
You might want to price out adding an additional separate 240V circuit; If you install a 40A or 50A circuit and receptacle you could use the Tesla Mobile Connector that comes with the Tesla vehicle as the primary means of charging one of your Tesla vehicles.

Will both vehicles need to be charged at the same time? Are they both involved in 100+ mile daily commutes? If not and especially if under 50 on one vehicle you can use the mobile connector on 120v overnight. You’ll get 30-40 miles overnight on a 15A circuit. If you have a 20A circuit that’ll get you 33% more. 40-50.

Reactions: arnolddeleon
My wife and I alternate using the one Tesla wall charger we have. It hasn't been a problem yet. She has a LR Model 3 and I have the LR Model Y. So far there's always been a sharing opportunity even if one of us schedules a charge after midnight (for less expensive electricity rates here in So Cal.)

G2 Signature HPWC here with the long cord and plan to share it with my wife’s MY when we get it this week. She has a much shorter commute than me and won’t need to charge as often. And we both mostly charge at work (when she goes back from working remotely).

We have a SR+ Model 3 and LR AWD Model Y and share a Gen 2 HPWC with the longer cord. The SR+ (ironically) is the long commute car so it is charged practically every night. My commute isn't too bad so the Model Y is charged every few days or so. It hasn't been a problem sharing the single HPWC -- I plan to use the slow 120v charger included with the car if I'm in a pinch and need both charged simultaneously - or I can run to a nearby supercharger if that's not possible. I guess it depends on your situation as to whether you need a second HPWC.

Reactions: Rocky_H
20210324_104500.jpg
20210324_104500.jpg20210324_104913.jpg

I am installing two of the above Hubbells, one on each side wall of the garage for 120/240 Volt charging. I am impressed with the build quality of Hubbells NEMA 14-50 receptacles.
Yeah, there is a whole thread about the build quality of the high amp receptacles like 14-50 across some of the various brands. Hubbel seems like the best, with Cooper and Bryant both also being really good as a close second, and then far below that is the really crummy Leviton.

Reactions: Anser

Thanks
I’ve had a Tesla M3 for 2 years and added a MY 7 months Ago. Never an issue sharing one charger.