Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most recommended DIY Chrome Delete?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a few options for DIY chrome delete kits. What is the most recommended kit? I see TeslaBros, Nikola, Kenriko, and a few others. I prefer there matte black look and am looking for the best kit to install. Thanks in advance.

This! Can buy a 5 x 9 ft roll for ~$100 which will be enough for everything. I vinyl wrap for a living so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

All you need is a 5x8ft roll. The longest piece which is the top arch is a little over 7 ft.
There is also enough vinyl to wrap 3 cars worth with this roll. Or make that many mistakes. The mirrors are very difficult however.

This is actually a good idea... Not sure if I will screw things up from doing it, like accidentally spraying it on the paint and windows...

It peels or rubs off, so overspray isn't a real issue, just an annoyance. That is one of the downsides though, plastidip isn't as durable as vinyl decals. Also takes some practice to get the correct distance and movement speed to get an even and smooth finish with plastidip. It's not particularly hard, but you're not going to do it correctly the first time you get a hold of a spray can.

It's also quite temperature sensitive, so don't expect to get good results if it's below 60F outside. For small parts you can get away with using a blow dryer to keep cure temperatures correct, but for longer pieces that's hard to manage.

Thanks guys. I would rather go with a kit for simplicity. I am by no means experienced in applying 3m film, but def. have no experience at cutting my own pieces to fit. So, for those reasons, I am looking for the best diy kit....

I see a few options for DIY chrome delete kits. What is the most recommended kit? I see TeslaBros, Nikola, Kenriko, and a few others. I prefer there matte black look and am looking for the best kit to install. Thanks in advance.

I went with Kenriko and have zero issues....absolutely recommend it. That being said I’ve seen posts about Nikola...and imo you can’t go wrong with either.

This! Can buy a 5 x 9 ft roll for ~$100 which will be enough for everything. I vinyl wrap for a living so if you have any questions feel free to ask!
For the rear window corner piece:
What would you say for using a 2inch tape vs a whole sheet and cutting out the window piece?
That way one would avoid the connection of 2 tape pieces in the edge..just not sure how big the difference really is practically speaking..

Bulk vinyl and a razor blade / knife tape.

Don't do this if you want to keep your sanity. I'm a pretty handy guy, watched some videos of pros working rolls of vinyl and knifeless tape and figured, "hey, that doesn't look so difficult." So I ordered up all the supplies and got to work. It IS that difficult, especially the trim piece at the back window on the sides of the car in the V you have to work it into. I didn't even get close to trying to do the mirror handle.

I cried uncle and got the Nikola Pro kit. Much more simple and really good results.

I have no experience myself but am also curious about chrome delete options for a model 3. I have used plasti-dip for other reasons and this guy's video made it look pretty simple, low-risk, and flexible for a novice like me:

Hey! I actually made this video! Plastidip is super easy to work with and worst case peel it off and redo it. Mine is still holding up well and I use a power washer to wash my car and it survived a winter now. The only thing I would do different is not use the glossifier. I think the matte finish would have looked better. Let me know if you have any questions.

I just did mine with Nikola Pro and glad I did it instead of buying rolls. Everything is pre-cut and fits well for the most part. AND it comes with another set in case you mess up! I'd much rather pay a few more dollars and get this..

Don't do this if you want to keep your sanity. I'm a pretty handy guy, watched some videos of pros working rolls of vinyl and knifeless tape and figured, "hey, that doesn't look so difficult." So I ordered up all the supplies and got to work. It IS that difficult, especially the trim piece at the back window on the sides of the car in the V you have to work it into. I didn't even get close to trying to do the mirror handle.

I cried uncle and got the Nikola Pro kit. Much more simple and really good results.

Is it just the kit being precut that makes the difference?